Fuller House Preview

Fuller House Boss Defends Premiere's 'Playful' Joke About M.I.A. Olsen Twins: 'The Door Is Always Open'

Fuller House‘s series premiere might contain a joke at the Olsen Twins’ expense — neither actress wanted to return as Michelle — but series creator Jeff Franklin insists there’s no bad blood between them.

“It wasn’t meant to be a dig; it was meant to be playful,” Franklin told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena. “We all tried to persuade them to come and play; they decided not to at this time. We’re hopeful that at some time in the future, they might change their minds and reprise Michelle. We only need one of ’em. We still love them, and the door is always open.”

Moving onto more pleasant topics, Franklin considers Fuller‘s pilot — which drops Feb. 26, along with the rest of Season 1 — to serve as the long-lost Full House series finale.

“I wanted to create an episode that was for the fans, that was in essence the last episode of Full House that we never got to do,” he explained. “We wanted to combine that with setting up the new show.”

Added executive producer Robert Boyett, “I think the show came to a sort of natural end. The ultimate decision was the network’s. Our show was a family show, which was quite expensive to produce. … For us, we felt that some of our actors were really ready to move on. We sat down and talked about it like a family. It felt like the right thing to do. We left it open-ended.”

But don’t get too attached to seeing that entire family — sans the Olsen Twins and “Comet” — under one roof; the original cast members’ visits become “more sporadic” after Episode 1.

“As the show goes along, it’s great to have the guys and Aunt Becky come through now and then, because it’s a family,” Franklin added. “But this is a show that’s centered around [DJ, Stephanie and Kimmy].”

“I have been approached at least two or three times a year [by Warner Bros. TV] for some follow-up on Full House,” Boyett revealed. “I hated reunion shows, and didn’t want to do a reunion show. Mostly, they are lousy. I felt if something worthy came along, we might do something in the future The right idea finally came along, thanks to Jeff. We thought [the concept of Fuller House] was very timely.”

Your thoughts on Fuller House‘s rapidly approaching premiere? Drop ’em in a comment below.

Reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. A. D. says:

How about showing a real trailer with footage…that’s the only thing that annoys me about Netflix is all the teasers…show a trailer already!

2. Jennifer says:

That sounds great! I wish the Olsen Twins were in it, but most of the rest of the original cast are still in it. I sure thought both Michelle and Stephanie were extremely cute when they were much younger. My most favorite Tanner girl was Stephanie because she was rather cute as a little kid, as well as pretty funny.

3. Raul J says:

At least they won’t start the series with the rest of the cast returning from Michelle Tanner’s funeral.

4. Grace M says:

Now that I’ve seen clips for the show I have some questions. Why is DJ is living in her old house instead of Danny? I would have thought Danny and his new wife would be living there and everyone else had moved out, starting with Jesse, Becky and the twins.

5. What I’ve read is that one was not interested and the other was, but the schedule was all wrong for her. The joke is perfect, no need for anyone to get upset over it. All that said, they could have found a way to insert a Facetime cameo or something like that.

6. “I hated reunion shows, and didn’t want to do a reunion show. Mostly, they are lousy.” They absolutely are — meanwhile, at NBC, the cast of Friends is coming back (just not as their characters, which is what people actually want to see).

7. Dale says:

This guy saying most reunion shows are lousy, implying that his show is among the elite few that’s not? I’d be very surprised, since the original show was already lousy to begin with.

8. Jess says:

Again, they don’t need the Olsens to play Michelle. They were 8 years old when Full House ended. Cast another actor that actually wants to play the role.

9. Lorna says:

I thought this reunion show was the idea of John stamos.

10. Eh says:

They need to get over the fact that the Olsen Twins want nothing to do with a show they were forced to be in as infants. They’ve moved on. Recast the part and shut up already. That cast’s and crews insufferable need to bring them up as publicity is annoying. Almost as annoying as Candace Cameron.

11. Rayne says:

I know people love the original cast, but given that the Olsen twins’ lives are so very different from when they were acting full time, I think they should recast the role with Becca Tobin. She looks more like little Michelle than the Olsen twins do now, and it seems silly to take a member of the family out of the equation when it could be so cool to see her again, no matter who’s playing the role. If not Becca, I’m sure there are others who look enough like them to fit the part, and no matter what I’d rather get to see the whole family than them try and write around her.

12. mimi says:

The olsen twins look older than the other women on the show. How sad. How would they explain her aging appearance?

13. jennifer englund says:

I thought it was a good show and would take off well especially if they still had all the original ccharacters visit once in awhile iI did however miss mMichelle and was hoping in someway they would mention her name and her location and career. I think the a series would be a hit