Jimmy Fallon Injuries

Jimmy Fallon's Freak Injuries Sparked 'Conversations' With NBC Brass

If you’re concerned about Jimmy Fallon, following the string of injuries he suffered in 2015, you’re not alone.

“We’re always worried about his safety and health,” NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt told reporters Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “Yeah, there have been conversations about that.”

If you’re not up to speed with the Tonight Show host’s recent medical history, he nearly lost his finger in June (in a kitchen mishap), chipped his tooth in August and injured his hand in October (after tripping and falling onto broken glass).

That said, Greenblatt wanted to clear up one apparent misconception about Fallon: “He doesn’t have a drinking problem that any of us know about. He goes out and has fun and he’s had some accidents. Aside from that, I think he’s in better shape than he’s ever been in.”

1. c-mo says:

“That we know of”…I believe they call that plausible deniability.

2. Luis says:

Jimmy has always enjoyed physical comedy, going back to his SNL days, and he clearly doesn’t he restrict his love for it to being on set. Regardless of whether there are any other underlying problems with Jimmy, this makes injuries like this more likely. Jimmy has always appeared to be a level-headed, sensible man, so I expect he will tame the edgier portions in his nature, out of respect for his fatherhood, as well as his job.

3. WOW – that was an interesting statement to make, even more interesting that they thought to make a statement about this.

• Elissa says:

I wouldn’t call it a ‘statement’. It looks to me like Reporters asked and that is how they answered, even though the article above conveniently left that part out. The way they answer makes it sound like they were asked a questions specifically about Jimmy’s health and wellbeing as well as if they thought he had a drinking problem. For PR reasons, no chairman is going to even hint at something like that unless it is brought to the forefront by a pot stirring media rep.

4. Elissa says:

I think he is just a klutz.

• Ellie Sherman says:

Me too!
      I dont really drink, so we can rule out a drinking problem….BUT I am a HUGE klutz and have bruises & cuts all over me at any given time. some of us arent so good at avoiding obstacles and/or bump into things a lot. my mom used to ask, “were you having fun when you got that injury?” and 90% of the time the answer was yes. so its worth it. I am also overly flexible and try as I might, doctors have always said that since my ligaments are overly stretchy, I will probably fall more often then most.

• Jbj says:

I’m hypermobile, too, and have a hard time convincing people that I managed to sprain both ankles and a wrist on separate occasions walking on flat ground stone cold sober.

5. T.w.123 says:

Jimmy’s drinking problem has been pretty well documented in the New York scene for years.

And even last week he made a joke on his show that if he had to come up with an inappropriate child’s book name on the spot it would be “Daddy Stop Drinking”

But, I’m not surprised NBC is towing the party line on this. Realistically, what else could they say?

I hope Jimmy stays healthy, whatever that entails. I enjoy his show and would wish him (or any human, really) the best.

6. A fan of TV says:

I didn’t realize his sobriety was an open question, assumed just klutzy. Has he been to rehab in the past?

• Kate says:

Not that I’m aware of but a few months ago Entertainment Weekly wrote an article questioning if he had a drinking problem. Wonder if this is a bit of an answer to that. I thought the piece was rubbish. No sources and mere speculation from them.

• rinaex says:

I’ve only seen references on message boards and the like. He may well be a functioning alcoholic, but I’ve yet to see any proof of it.

• Jbj says:

No. A lot of it comes from his reputation of shutting down bars, something he has always acknowledged and been proud of. After a certain age, marital status and professional status, people start to question one’s choices. Being a good-natured drunk in NYC is one if the easiest ways to fall under the radar because short of public urination there’s not a lot to get busted for. Still, it’s up to his family and bosses to determine whether his drinking is out of hand.

7. I think he’s just goofy. He wouldn’t openly make fun of it if it were a serious problem.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope talk show hosts especially game show hosts should not be doing it on live TV when they get hurt or injured or losing their voice. Drew Carey has done the same thing when he’s hosting The Price is Right. In my opinion, Bob Barker is a way better Price is Right host than Drew Carey.

9. peterwdawson says:

The hell did the drinking suggestion come from? Can’t people just have bad luck? I’ve cut myself in bed just by tossing and turning using nothing but my fingernails.

• Jerri says:

Daily Mail comes to mind. They did a whole article about how he was drunk when he dropped the bottle of Jaeger the last time. Then they did another one claiming NBC were looking at firing him if he doesn’t straighten up. But since it’s DailyMail, sources are highly questionable.

10. Reality-Check says:

Well it’s either drinking or cocaine…

11. EV says:

What about the possibility of physical abuse?
    If he is a she, suspicion of abuse might be considered. But female-to-male abuse can also happen, and mostly unsuspected due to general view that men are stronger and it is impossible for a weakly and soft lady to hurt her man.