Pretty Little Liars Charlotte

Pretty Little Liars Recap: The Girls Decide Charlotte's Fate in 6B Premiere

“Do you think they’re still mad at me?” Charlotte asked Alison at the top of Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars winter premiere. Wait, did she really think they’d have forgiven her? Is this girl crazy? (Oh, right, I forgot.)

Anyway, Ali somehow managed to convince Rosewood’s four most traumatized exports — five, if you include Mona — to return home after half a decade to vouch for her sister’s release. Unfortunately for Ali, logic reared its inconvenient head when it came time for Aria to speak. Still suffering debilitating flashbacks from the years of torture she endured, Aria urged the judge, “I don’t want Charlotte to be released. Ever.”

But this is Rosewood, where the court system is apparently even shoddier than the police department, so the judge waved like a dumb-dumb while the crazy train known as Charlotte DiLaurentis pulled right out of Radley Station. The girls tried to be adults about it, toasting to Charlotte getting her happily-ever-after in the end, but let’s be real: That was the alcohol talking.

Of course, none of that really matters now, because Charlotte’s corpse — yes, as in dead body — was uncovered the next morning outside the church. And she didn’t kill herself, as the police initially suspected; she was murdered!

What you just read were the bones of Tuesday’s premiere. Now, we’re getting to the meat: my deepest, most important thoughts and observations about this Brave New Rosewood in which we’re living…

* “I’m Andy Swift, and I approve of Veronica Hastings running for Senate.”

* Speaking of Spencer’s mom, did all of the parents get hot(ter), or am I still seizing out from that two-minute #Freeform promo at the top of the episode.

spencer* I don’t know which moment I loved more: the reveal of Radley’s big makeover, or the look on Spencer’s face when she thought those four high-school girls were getting a spooky text. (“It’s the ciiiiircle of liiiiife.”)

* I’m sad that Ezra is so dead inside now, but I have to admit, I’m really excited to see him go Muppet-crazy like in that promo where he screams at the girls.

* Of all the fractured couples on this show right now, I’m putting my money on Spencer and Toby getting back together next. They may have fallen “out of sync,” but something tells me that spending this next half-season together is going to push them right back in.

* And that final Hanna/Caleb scene wins the award for Most Heartbreaking. You could have cut the sexual tension in that hotel room with a knife. (I can’t wait for him to inevitably stop her wedding.)

* Closing remarks: This episode gets an A++ from me. I wasn’t expecting Charlotte’s death in the slightest bit, and giving her a recreation of Ali’s funeral — complete with Sara Harvey as the sort-of new Jenna — was brilliant. In fact, the whole new mystery, especially the fact that I genuinely think Aria could have killed Charlotte, is also brilliant. Bravo, Team PLL. This is how you silence the naysayers.

Let’s talk, PLL Nation: Was this episode worth the wait? Grade it below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Shannon says:

I always hated the Aria is A theories, but now that things have come full circle and we’ve got a new A, I’m all for Aria being A.

Spencer and Toby didn’t seem broken up at all.

I’m actually sad about Charlotte. Why does nothing good ever happen in Rosewood’s church?! I knew it would be Sara walking in. She’s creepy.

2. Matt C. says:

I called Cece’s death as soon as the episode started. I was just thinking of what the new mystery could possibly be and it would have to be something huge to keep all of the girls in Rosewood, and I just had a feeling Cece would die somehow. That said, my predictions on this show have turned out to be wildly inaccurate in the past, so I was still shocked that I was right! Can’t wait to see what happens next…

3. maya says:

Thanks for the spoiler IN THE TITLE

• Elyse says:

What title are you seeing? The one I see has no spoilers.

• BrightLight says:

What I’ve learned since first coming to TVLine about 4 years ago is If you hover over a title on this website, the title of it is usually not the same as the one that appears on the site. If you look at the link the page takes you to, the spoiler is in the link title in your browser. Also, for reasons I’ve never understood, when TVLine spoiler/premiere/season finale info shows up in the Google News section on Google, it ALWAYS shows the spoiler as the title of the article.
        Long story short, I learned long ago that if I want to visit TVLine after they’ve posted something about a show I watch (or haven’t watched yet but want to), to scroll by it quickly before I accidentally hover over the article link. Or just ignore the site all together until the next day (which is really hard BTW).

• The URL to the article.

• Carlson says:

‘Pretty Little Liars’: Charlotte Murdered — Season 6B Premiere Recap
        TVLine‎ – 1 hour ago

• Kat says:

You probably should stay away from social media and anything Internet until you watch the show. With a show this big, with this many followers, your gonna see it everywhere. Just a tip.

4. Thanks says:

Great spoiler-free headline for West Coast

5. Court says:

Are Spencer and Caleb a couple? I totally got that vibe…

• rantonio says:

If they aren’t yet, they totally seem to be heading that way..

• Guest says:

I got that vibe too and I don’t like it!! Nope not one bit!!!

• I felt the same. A strong one at that. Cool, a little tension between liars is good, right?

• NM says:

Hanna and Caleb were a high school couple. They’re adults now and I can only see Hanna having a problem with Spencer and Caleb possibly being a couple because it’s not about her. I’ve always thought Caleb and Spencer have had good chemistry and could sustain a mature adult relationship compared to anyone else on the show.

• Cas says:

This! Don’t get me wrong I am a Haleb fan but I sort of like the idea of Spencer and Caleb.

• Amanda says:

No, no a big fat NO! Don’t put this mess into the air, because stupid showrunners take this crap and run with it! Spencer and Caleb NEVER had any chemistry and never will! There will NEVER be enough time pass that would allow you to date your best friend’s ex and it’s plain as day that Hanna still has feelings for him and Spencer knows it that’s why she stayed in the Lobby! NO,JUST NO!!!!!

• slowride says:

Yes agreed ! I think as adults, Spencer and Caleb make total sense !

• Curly Girly says:

Me too! And I thought the meeting between Caleb and Hanna was sooooo awkward.

6. If you’re trying to remain spoiler free then you never should have clicked on the link. It’s your own fault. The spoiler is in the web link, but you had to click to get here so?

I do hope that Toby & Spencer get back together. So many people on twitter were theorizing that the house he was building was actually for her, (which I can get with that vibe as Spencer was sad panda that she only got a chair), but I did get some intense Spencer x Caleb vibe, which I don’t necessarily mind, but I feel like that is such a mess, and I really want Spencer and Toby to work it out, and Spencer and Hanna’s relationship to not be so strained, like I imagine it would be. I just hope it’s one of those ‘fake you out’ moments and Spencer and Caleb are up to some non nc17 things.

• jamielynn says:

I didn’t click on anything to see the spoiler. All I did was google “pretty little liars” to make sure I didn’t get my dates mixed up and that it did air that night. It hadn’t even aired everywhere at that point so I wouldn’t have imagined a spoiler would pop up as the first link on Google! It honestly ruined the premiere for me.

7. Iris says:

Is Emily on drugs? she had about 10 different pills and something that looked like injections in her little purse. Also why is Ali calling her husband Dr Rollins instead of his first name? its creepy :/

8. Carlson says:

Thanks for putting a huge ridiculous spoiler in the title of your article before the episode has even aired.

9. Amber nicole says:

Definitely saw Charlotte’s murder coming…because when the actress first appeared on PLL, she was completely unknown, but she is now a regular on Blue Bloods and needs to focus on that.

10. I loved this show the first few episodes. After that it just got ridiculous!! You stretched the A thing out wayyyyy toooo long. To the point it became for me, uninteresting!! You got two seasons left!!! Im vested!! But not for your good. All I sayin. Not to the point Im not let down and at this point. I feel so let down!!

11. Rachel says:

I know I’m in the minority but I’d love for Spencer and Caleb to get together.

12. Eric7740 says:

How about how the first half of the season ended with the girls coming to Ali’s classroom and saying “he’s coming!” “We have to go!” or something of that nature. Will that ever be referenced??? But I did enjoy the episode.

• Brock says:

We haven’t hit that point yet. Seems Ali isn’t married yet either. She’s keeping it professional with the Doc, as to NOT jeopardise Charlotte’s release. Then, it’s “ahh, to hell with that”…. The school thing will prob be the 6B finale.

• Kat says:

Tell me about it. I feel like everything that was in the promo did not happen. I felt like the episode was slow.. very slow.. but we shall see. The show never ceases to disappoint so, here’s to hoping 6b is just as good, if not better, as the rest!

13. zivia says:

I forget what the girls did to Sarah. Wasn’t Sarah helping Charlotte? I’m not sure I’m up for another cat and mouse game with the girls. Seems like its all been done already. Anyone else feel that way?

14. Lala says:

Was it just me or was there something going on between Spencer and Caleb?!

15. Lala says:

Also they were acting like they’ve been out of college a LONG time.. but if its only 5 years later they would have only been out for 1 year! Doesn’t seem possible Ali would be a teacher already

16. jamielynn says:

I’m sorry but to put a HUGE spoiler in the headline of an article is just messed up. Not everyone can watch the show the second it airs. No other article I came across gave away the biggest plot twist in the headline like you guys did. Thanks for ruining the premiere for me, and I’m sure many others.

17. liame says:

Charlotte death was as obvious as the fake hair on the girls. How else are they going to keep this ($!@#$%^&*) going?

18. Kitty says:

1. Ezra is a predator.

2. So many transwomen are killed in real life. To keep it going on TV is awful and not helpful at all.

• She wasn’t killed because she trans, she was killed because of her actions. Entirely different things unless you favour an exclusion-zone for all dramatic events around anyone who might be LGBTQ?

• Kitty says:

I didn’t say Charlotte was killed because she was trans. I know it was because of her actions. But this is bigger than that. This isn’t a “negative representation is still representation” situation. It’s a case of a group of people who are ALREADY unjustly and negatively portrayed, and being done so in the public eye. And instead of working to change that, the show does what most do when given the opportunity to give minorities a voice….they killed the character off. Pretty Little Liars has done so much good for gay visibility, but it’s been utterly horrendous for trans visibility, and it needs to be called out.

19. Beckers0505 says:

Awesome episode in my opinion. However, I didn’t have high expectations. I wish at least one of the 3 girls ( aria, spencer or Hanna) would have stayed with their Highschool boyfriend. That would have been nice!

20. sarah says:

It doesnt make sense to me. At the end of season 6a, Charlotte was with the rest of the gang as they bombarded through alisons classroom to warn her that some dude is coming. Now that 6b is here, Charlotte is dead.

21. Michaela says:

Did anyone else notice that the song that was playing at Charlotte’s funeral was Goldberg Variations: Aria by Bach? Do you think that might be intentional, like an Easter egg or something? Just curious.

22. brandydanforth81 says:

I loved the episode except Spaleb.Sad Charlottes dead.Now we know who’s in the casket from the pomo poster -It had to be someone really important n connected to the five Liars for hem o be carrying he Caskett.

23. Alison DiLaurentis says:

I believe that the new “Big-Bad” is Dr. Rollins. Anyone else notice how he is such a “big part” in the beginning of the episode, only to vanish shortly after Charlotte is released. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I am still shipping Emison. Hopefully I didn’t ruin anything! Kisses, -A