Reality Check: Who Ruled Week One of Idol? (Hint: Not Kanye and Kim!)

Could American Idol‘s farewell season wind up having the deepest, most exciting pool of finalists in recent memory?

While Week One of the audition episodes made such a scenario seem possible, this week’s Reality Check season premiere features a sobering reminder from my cohost Melinda Doolittle: Great singers can sometimes disappear without explanation during Hollywood Week.

Nevertheless, Melinda and I choose our early standouts — and also use our imaginary veto power to take Golden Tickets away from a pair of teenagers.

We also dish two uncomfortable audition incidents we wish had never made it on air — and yep, one of ’em involves Kim Kardashian.

Press PLAY below for the full Reality Check experience, then share your thoughts in the comments!

1. JMay says:

FIRST TO COMMENT!!! Yay!! You go Michael and Melinda!

2. Marcie says:

Yay, Reality Check!

3. John says:

Yes! It’s back!

I kind of wish for this season they had nudged the age requirement a year or two, since they don’t have the “come back next year” out. It is what it is, though. Night two was SO much stronger than night one.

4. Jake says:

YAWN! Glad this is the final season…another show way past it’s prime.

5. Kate says:

REALITY CHECK!!! I don’t have the words to say how exciting it is to see this!!!!!

6. DarkDefender says:

#JLoholdmybaby #runassassin #singHeffa
    Great first week for RC.

7. Alan Dvorkis says:

Please do not mention that this is the final year, until the finale. It is all too painful, especially with a shortened season and with so many capable singers shown, only one week in. Never the less, thanks for one more year.

8. Timmah says:

Disappointment is what ruled week one for me. I didn’t see anyone particularly original or interesting. Because the show is so desperate for a female winner, I have the feeling Olivia is going to be shoved down our throats the way Jax was last season.

9. kait says:

Not gonna lie, I was kind of expecting a shoutout to kris allen in this episode of reality check… I thought michael was a fan?! And he held that baby before JLo did!

Some of the talent did make me excited for this season though, I hope it goes out on a high note!

10. JB says:

Um, you should NOT be talking about “The Bachelor” #GIANTWASTEOFTIME #VOMIT

11. Timmah says:

You say that you don’t want them to pick personalities over singers, but personality and creative songwriting is what sells in the real world, not raw singing talent. Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, etc. Of course there is the occasional star that can really sing like Adele, but even she has quite a bit of the x-factor as well that is responsible for her success.

• winipisoci says:

ewwww, swift, minaj, gaga. all of them are nasty. they may have made it big, but I don’t personally know anyone who likes any of those three. Adele is ok, but she is getting way to big a head.

12. Lauren says:

I am going to miss you guys so much. Please find something new to discuss for 12 min a week after Idol is over.

13. Who ruled? Whoever decided this was the FINAL year!!!

• Larc says:

FOX! Well, maybe they didn’t necessarily decide this is Idol’s final year. They just decided it’s the last year the show will be on their network.

14. Larc says:

I so agree with Melinda. Every second Kanye was on was totally wasted, IMO. He may be a first-rate success for some inexplicable reason, but he’s a third-rate talent tops.

15. marygrace says:

Yeah!!! American Idol and Reality Check are back! Great comments. Makes American Idol more enjoyable. Thank you.

16. Ginger Snap says:

One last run of Reality Check (sigh)

17. Happy to see you both back! I love your banter and wit.

18. James says:

Thank you, Jason!

19. Cat says:

Love love love that you two are back – but this was way too short! So much more to talk about, but I’ll take what I can get! However, if you wanted to add a Bachelor check, I’d watch that, too. What fun is a train wreck without someone to watch the crazies with?!

20. Mafs says:

Thursday was definitely the best episode of the week, but I kinda wish you guys had also given a shout out to Lindita… she was goooooooood.

21. Denise says:

Please don’t make me watch The Bachelor…(actually, I totally would if that meant Michael and Melinda forever). Reality Check is better than Idol!

22. Temperance says:

Melissa was nice; West just stopped in to show us all again that he’s talent free.

23. frothy333 says:

Sonika Vaid‬ was definitely my favorite.

24. bradybunch4u says:

La’Porsha oh heck to the nooooo.
    Trent hope not.
    Olivia and Tristen yes
    What about Dalton?
    Lee Jean
    Shonika

25. Alan Dvorkis says:

You need to talk a bit more about singers. Only a few were mentioned. Something should be said about the original Phantom. The kid will likely polarize. Either way, he was original and should have been mentioned.

26. pdamico says:

Maybe now Michael and Melinda will seriously consider a Reality check for The Voice.

27. mark says:

Ain’t nothin’ like the real thing…..so happy to have you both back! :-)

28. Lerbert says:

Just caught up with the link in tonight’s schedule. Reality Check has been one of my favorite things about January! And thank you for one last “lock them doors.”

29. marie says:

Always great to hear Melinda sing, however briefly!

30. Cat says:

#whataboutthechildren – So glad you guys are back!

31. JVee says:

Michael and Melinda! Have missed you! Could listen to the 2 of you talk about anything. :) So…The Voice and America’s Got Talent? HA! Like I said, anything….just find SOMETHING to sub in for AI.

32. darcy's evil twin says:

“If La’Porsha is still living I’m not doing another run again”. LOL Melinda!
    Welcome back, Michael and Melinda. LOVE “Reality Check”.
    Baby Lock them Doors and settle in for the last season of American Idol.

33. HTGR says:

Agreed with everything other than I am a total 180 when it comes to the girl who sings ONLY runs and why, why, why did you make my eyes have to witness even 20 seconds of the Bachelor! Scarred for life!!