One Day at a Time Reboot

One Day at a Time Reboot Ordered at Netflix, Norman Lear on Board as EP

This is it. Hold on tight. Up on your feet. One Day at a Time is back.

Netflix has ordered a 13-episode multi-cam reboot of the classic Norman Lear sitcom, this one centered on a Cuban-American family.

Lear is on board an an exec producer the series, which centers on a recently separated, former military mom (aka the character originated by the late Bonnie Franklin role) navigating a new single life while raising her radical teenaged daughter and socially adept tween son, with the “help” of her old school Cuban-born mom and a friends- without-benefits building manager named — wait for it — Schneider (played in the original by the recently deceased Pat Harrington).

According to Deadline, Rita Morena has signed on to play the grandmother. Additional casting is TBA.

Mike Royce (Everybody Loves Raymond, Enlisted) and Gloria Calderon Kellett (How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement) are on board as writers and will serve as EPs alongside Lear, Michael Garcia and Brent Miller.

One Day at a Time debuted on CBS on Dec. 16, 1975, and ran for nine seasons (until its series finale on May, 28, 1984). It also starred Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli.

1. kirads09 says:

I LOVED One Day At A Time back in the day. But that day is past. Would rather see something original and creative. One of the best theme songs ever btw.

• c-mo says:

Totally agree!!!

• Lyn says:

Ditto. Boo hiss!

• Phlarg says:

Why dont they just call it something else and not consider it a reboot? Are we running out of titles?

• Annie says:

I dunno, it feels unique enough to warrant a remake. Like there’s not a lot of shows out there about a Cuban family with modern political dynamics. Could set itself apart as something really worthwhile. Less of a reboot and more of a remake – the success of Fresh off the Boat, blackish, etc, culturally it’s time for more shows about more types of Americans. Adapting an already known and loved formula and making it reflect contemporary issues could be really smart

2. Brian says:

Hate reboots, but I love Rita Moreno, so I might check this out if it’s good.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope this reboot is going to paid tribute to the late Pat Harrington, Jr.

4. Sam says:

Oh how times have changed. CBS debuted a show on 16th Dec and it ran for 9 seasons!!!!
    Imagine the awe and comments that would follow if a network debuted a show in Dec. DOA would most certainly be a common comment.

5. Drew says:

The original was good, but I don’t see the point of this. There are a ton of shows about single mothers these days (Fuller House, for example) so I think it is really necessary to do this one. On top of that, it seems like a waste of money to use the name of the old series. They’re paying for the reputation of that series, but why?
    I could understand it if they wanted old cast members back. Since they don’t, and because the idea is so broad, it makes no sense.

6. steven says:

Too soon, Netflix. Too soon.

7. kmw says:

I loved One Day at a Time but enough of re boots.

8. Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

I wish they would just revive recent shows that still had life in them and get as much of the original cast as possible: Rules of Engagement, Parenthood, Hot in Cleveland, About a Boy, Happy Endings, etc

9. Chris says:

Quick glance I read that as “Once Upon A Time” reboot and was like “Oh, come on, they JUST got to Hell and you’re rebooting NOW?!”

That being said….enough with the reboots! It’s getting beyond ridiculous.

10. David4 says:

So Netflix Studios got famous for having wonderful original shows… So now they really love the reboot and remake and sequels. Fuller house. Magic School Bus. Lost in Space. This.

• iHeart says:

well people thought this would be a great idea when they brought back Arrested Development, which hasn’t seen another season yet even though it hasn’t been canned

• David4 says:

That’s a continuation of the same show. That is fine, they have done that a lot. But why remake these shows? What’s the point.

• Lange says:

Several reasons.
          1. They own the rights to the old show.
          2. They can capitalize on the name recognition.
          3. They are entirely bereft of original ideas.

• Annie says:

AD is getting another season, it’s just not following the traditional model – which is neat. We will definitely get another season though

11. Lindsey says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12. BrightLight says:

I’d rather them stream the old One Day at a Time episodes than see a reboot. I know Antenna TV does air 2 episodes daily, but I’d love to be able to watch them w/o commercials (and in my case possible antenna interruptions via rain or wind.)
    Although I will and have watched Rita Moreno in anything, so let’s face it, I’ll end up watching it.

13. iHeart says:

uh that’s nice but didn’t Rita Moreno say she was retiring after the Kennedy Center Honors?

• Dysturbed says:

Yes, but people tend to say what they truly believe and think at the time, then circumstances potentially get them to change their mind.

14. TexasBrigade says:

This isn’t going to be a reboot its a remake

15. peterwdawson says:

For the love of God, can we not do something new, or vaguely new enough? I mean even if a modern sitcom ends up basically being like an older one in all but name the different name at least indicates, in theory, they’re trying to differentiate.

Still, One Day At a Time was pretty good, so I guess if they keep the spirit and such the same it’ll still be worth it. Just tired of all the reboots/remakes.

16. DavidSask says:

Cashing in on classic name show when original cast nothing to do with real shady,producer should be more caring of that.

17. Annie says:

Cool. A modern take on this could be very timely and refreshing. Could actually be a good thing from the rash of reboots everywhere these days

18. Erin B says:

I am usually against reboots, but Norman Lear’s involvement has me intrigued.

19. ncmacasl says:

Spell Check Alert: Rita Moren*o* not *a*

20. John says:

Its the old series really that fondly remembered? And by who, I haven’t seen it in reruns so the old people who do remember it are 45+.

Like a lot of Lear’s stuff it could be good, but this was far too maudlin.

21. Joe R says:

This is what you call a remake, not a reboot. The right words are important!

22. It sounds much more interesting than the original. I think it was the longest running dull show of all time. The only laughs were supplied by Pat Harrington. I hope Rita Moreno is not wasted on this, but I have a feeling that might be the case. Norman Lear is in his mid-90s, so I doubt if he will have much influence on a daily basis. Norman Lear must still own the rights to the show, which probably explains why they stuck with the name of the original series.