Prison Break Revival

Prison Break Revival at Fox 'Moving Forward' Despite Legends Hurdles

Interestingly, The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow may have created a little “time” problem for Fox’s Prison Break revival.

Since Prison Break‘s leading men, Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, are both committed to Legends of Tomorrow‘s 16-episode freshman run, scheduling Prison Break‘s 10-episode continuation has become something of a challenge, TVLine has learned.

Speaking to TVLine Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, where he was promoting Legends, Purcell confirmed that Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox — the studios behind Legends and Prison Break, respectively — are currently hard at work “negotiating the complexities” of a potential deal. But he maintained that the project is “moving forward.”

“There are a lot of moving parts to that conversation,” Miller concurred, “but we are hopeful that we’ll be able to shoot something this spring. Prison Break is taking its cue from Legends, which is the priority. So we’re aiming for spring.”

It was back in August when Fox announced that it had ordered the revival, with an eye towards starting production — presumably — this winter/early spring.

“I would describe it as a bit of a sequel,” Fox CEO Dana Walden at the time. “It picks up the characters several years after we left them in the last season of the show. The brothers will be back. Some of the iconic characters from that show will be back. I don’t think [exec producer] Paul [Scheuring] knows exactly where he’s going over the 10-episode arc, but it definitely will address some questions that were set up at the end of the series for a new audience.”

1. Ws says:

Well it would have to film after the conclusion of Legends season I would think… though if Legends should get renewed that would be a bit of a problem… As much as i liked the first two seasons of Prison Break the third and fourth seasons were a mess creatively and they killed Michael in the finale.

• Annie says:

The originally showrunner left for season 4 and it *really* showed. I rewatched the series a few months ago (ironically just before they announced a revival) and was surprised that season 3 was actually pretty good. I remembered it being terrible, but it was a sharply contained story.

• Dysturbed says:

Did you see Prison Break:The Final Break, which came out a few months after the finale and took place prior to the scene where they showed the grave? They show the way that he supposedly “died” but didn’t actually show him as dead. They also showed that he sent Sara a video to explain himself, but he could have lied to protect her, Lincoln, etc.

• Ada says:

They didn’t kill Michael he pretend to be death to protect his family .

• Big time prison break fan says:

I agree. How can you kill Michael off and then try to make another season of Prison Break it doesn’t make any sense you need Michael unless Michael somehow got out of the explosion and had to pretend he was dead and assumed new identity or something it would never work

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No one is saying Michael isn’t in it. Au contraire….

• Dave says:

They just said they are back

2. kn1231 says:

Is Sara coming back? Going to be hard to believe Michael disappeared and left her for good.

• Adam says:

yes, Sara is coming back… and it will be very interesting to see how michael faces her and Mike – their child.

Although the writers promised that there’s going to be a logical explanation how michael survived and why he left! Which will be interesting to see as well.

also HuluMagazine wrote, while quoting Dominic, that the season will be full of surprises. Fans will be blown away.

So you all better look for it! :p

3. Mopley Crooce says:

OBVIOUSLY you start from the end of the second season. I didn’t hate the third, but I’ll give it up because of the whole Sara thing.

4. Kyle says:

Oh God, just shut down this project. This reboot doesn’t make any sense. The story is told, the show is over, Michael is dead.

5. Azerty says:

Best explanation I have read is that Michael actually was on a coma, detained by the company and he wakes up for this revival. Since they never shown the body in the finale, I would be ok to believe that story.

6. J says:

I liked Prison Break, mainly because of Wentworth and Dominic but does this series really need a redo?. I guess I’m less interested in this project because the two of them will be together on LoT.

7. Cory says:

Not so interested. Glad The X-Files is back but PB doesn’t seem like a strong contender for revival.

Fox has a huge library of one season wonders that they could redevelop and remake and probably do them better the second round. Would love to see Dark Angel come back, redone though to be more in our future… Tru Calling, Point Pleasant, Brimstone,The Inside, Drive. Freakylinks would be perfect, it was very Internet centered and would be much more relevant in the era of smartphones, apps, and YouTube.

• Cory says:

And how could I forget Purcell’s John Doe. I’d be down to see that again.

• Barnett Brown III says:

It would be cool if Tru Calling was revived. Got so interesting towards the end, just to get cancelled.

• Lr says:

Lives that show please comeback

• Kylie says:

Ditto to Tru Calling, John Doe and Dark Angel. But disagree we don’t need a Prison Break revival. I am so excited about this I’m nearly wetting myself lol. Loved the show and bawled my eyes out when it ended. I would never say no to more episodes. I hope Sucre is there too, and Kellerman, and T Bag. Ooh can’t wait:)

8. Jodi says:

I have been waiting patiently since I heard of a new season of prison break. Michael and Sarah are a real love story and the brothers love for each other make a drama series even better with the real life relationships. Plus Michael and link are great to look at

9. Gina says:

I always loved this show. Stoked for a revival!!! Really curious to see what they did with Michael’s character since he was killed off at the end. I’m glad he is obviously being brought back. Because I thought it was really stupid and pointless to kill him off in the movie like that when it was obvious they could have just left it alone. So hopefully the reboot will do better.

10. Quinton says:

Plis dont forget to bring back T-bag and Fernando Sucre

11. Matt Selman says:

Amazing!! Can’t wait for the new season! Hope it’s as good as the others so I can watch scofield merk everyone :)

12. Kelly says:

So excited for another Prison Break! I absolutely love Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell!!! I couldn’t stop watching seasons 1-4.

13. mharper42 says:

A sequel makes no sense to me, after the post-series movie in which Michael had died.

14. Kayla says:

I’m so glad they are bringing this show back, even if it’s just for one season. I loved the show and don’t think it should have been cancelled in the first place. Can’t wait for the premier!!!

15. Mahdi says:

I didn’t conclude prison break to the final episode of season 4, its b’se when i heard Micheal S. Had to die, at fast i thot it was for real en i lost interest. But now i am very ready to wait for any additions thats kind of good news big ups

16. Kati says:

Just finished watching the series…and am VERY excited to see more! I thought the whole show was awesome!

17. may says:

I am really looking forward for the re do. I’m glad Michael, Love you’re coming back.

18. Kim says:

I can’t wait for it to come back…..Paul helps Michael fake his death n I’m sure it’s to protect his family…

19. Rachel says:

We all hope that Michael and Sara (with their son) have a beautiful and passionate story with a happy and dignified end. And, please, their reunion should be fast and uncomplicated like the return of Sara. Even I have not recovered from the depression caused for Michael’s death.
    And please again! more than 10 episodes!

20. Terri says:

Would be great if they moved the “prison break” into a consulting career for both the brothers. Breaking out of prisons around the world….

21. Alex says:

Can someone tell me when Prison Break season 5 is coming out ?
    Is the TV show going to be continued?
    Prison break is the greatest TV show if all times… Plz answer
    I’ll wait for your reply

22. Anne says:

Well, I really do hope that if Wentworth miller does return that Sarah Wayne is willing o be with especially if he died to save her I think the love story should continue between them despite another man in her life because he had risked everything for her. Let’s hope the story continues in the same way it was left. Love prison break the ‘best’ tv serial I have ever watched although I was crying in the end. Good to know its coming back though!

23. Annie says:

Well, I hope that season 5 comes back the way it was left, I do also hope that Michael Scofield and Sara tencredi love story carries because if the is another man which there is then she needs to be prepared for Michael arrival also considering he took his own life for her. I’m the biggest fan of prison break as I cane to the ending of season 4 I started to get tearful, in the end I even cried. Well I do hope the story continues. For me prison break is the ‘officially best’ serial programme I have ever watched and I recommended it to everybody. Good luck to the team of prison break.

24. Jim Cook says:

Loved the series but could have done without the Final Break. I thought the way Season 4 was done was incredible and should ended on that. However….. I love the cast and look forward to the new season but am disappointed to hear it’s only ten episodes. It’s like enjoying only an appetizer at a “5 star” restaurant.