Taraji P. Henson Wins Best Actress in a Drama at 2016 Golden Globes

For the record, we wouldn’t want to mess with any of the women nominated for Best Actress in a Drama Series at Sunday’s Golden Globes.

Outlander‘s Caitriona Balfe, How to Get Away With Murder‘s Viola Davis, Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green, Empire‘s Taraji P. Henson and House of Cards‘ Robin Wright spent the past year making us laugh, cry and squirm — that last part was especially true of Green’s bewitching Vanessa Ives — so you can imagine the veritable Mary Poppins bag of emotions we experienced while awaiting new of the big winner.

“Cookies for everyone tonight, my treat!” Henson began, after shooting someone off her train. “Who knew that playing an ex-convict would take me all around the globe? … So the world loves real. Thank you.”

In typical Cookie fashion, Henson also had a few words for the teleprompter telling her to wrap up her speech: “I waited 20 years for this. You gonna wait!”

Do you think Henson deserved to win? Watch Henson’s acceptance speech above, then drop a comment with your reaction(s) below.

1. Neemo says:

I wanted Viola to win, but this one is…ok, i guess.

2. Ron says:

Oh, look at that: Viola Davis *still* doesn’t have a GG. Seriously, what does this woman have to do to actually be awarded by HFPA?!?! Don’t get me wrong, I love Empire and Taraji as Cookie. But strictly in terms of acting, Viola acts circles around Taraji…

• lechatnoir says:

That’s what I thought too. I think acting wise Viola knocks Taraji. Viola is 100% on par with Merille Streep. She own every single actress out there .

• Ron says:

Along with my original comment, I also think I’m just a little upset that we were robbed of another fantastic Viola acceptance speech. I mean, seriously, that woman kills acceptance speeches.

3. luke says:

Over Eva Green!!! On what planet… What a joke!!!!

4. luke says:

Is it called acting on Empire? Or do they call it over-acting?

5. Mak says:

Well Viola was my first pick and Taraji was my next so I’m pleased…

6. KC says:

That terrible show should not get any awards

7. Mari says:

I am so happy with a Taraji win! She’s amazing! Viola was another great nominee! Amazing category! COOKIES FOR EVERYONE!

8. Mika02 says:

I’m so glad she should have won for POI.

9. Shaun says:

ABOMINATION!!!

10. Josh says:

Yes Yes! Love Her Glad she won!

11. James says:

Eva Green should’ve won this one! She is amazing on Penny Dreadful.

12. abz says:

All the actresses in the category are superb and I’ve loved Taraji P. Henson on both Empire and POI, but I think Eva Green should have won.

13. Did anyone else think it was rude of Taraji to yell at the guys escorting her on stage to get off her train?

14. Alichat says:

I’d have rather Caitriona Balfe or Eva Green won the award, but good for Taraji P Henson.

15. Kate says:

I wanted Viola to win. The acting required for her role, far superior to that required by Henson’s role. [btw. Think that should be Henson “shooed” someone off her train, not “shooted”. Hope so anyway. lol]

16. Hosea Ned says:

Ms.Henson is a talented actress that has worked long and hard on her craft.

17. Sandra says:

I cannot believe she just snatched the award from the girls didn’t even give them a second glance. Yes. She’s a great actor. But very very rude!!!!

18. JoAnn McCoy says:

The right person won. Taraji P. Henson plays the hell out of that role! She’s very talented. Congrats Ms. Henson.

19. Michele says:

Taraji P Henson’s manner and speech were beyond rude! She showed that she had no class. Either Eva or Viola should have won… Both can act circles around Henson. Very disappointed.

• tvjunkie says:

Well remember she made a big stink about the cops treatment of her son when they arrested him a while back and when the police made the footage publicly available the showed she was lying she kind of just tried to brush it off. I think in real life she’s probably just not a nice person.

20. Steven says:

Taraji is a great actress and I loved her in Person of interest. She’s currently the only good thing about Empire.

• Longmire4ever says:

Her presence as Carter is still missed on POI. POI is now AWOL. Taraji is a wonderful actress as are all of the ladies in the category. Congrats on all of them for being nominated in a strong year of television.

I am so happy that Taraji won the Golden Globe. It was exciting to see her receiving an award and I loved her dress!

21. Charlene Carr says:

Hell yeah she deserved the award…this phenomenal black actress been around along time…ITS ABOUT TIME HOLLYWOOD RECONIZE REAL AND MOST OF ALL HARD WORK!!! I LOVE YOU GIRLY…GOD GOT YOU TARAJI!!

22. Dawud says:

Congrats Taraji on your golden globe award. Loved your speech. It doesn’t matter what character you play because we see you and can feel you. You put your entire heart in everything you do and that’s why the world loves you.
    God bless you, your made it and your understood.

23. Emmy says:

Wow this category was tight folks and i love every actress nominated and have seen all of them do phenomenal work except for Robin cos I am yet to watch House of Cards. All of them are winners but the globe had to go to one…take it with a pinch of salt it is ok…

24. Dory says:

What the heck is wrong with most of you?! Taraji is a brilliant actress. Have you not seen any of her other projects besides Empire? Even though she got it for Empire because she portrays a kick ass character that some may not like doesnt mean you have to throw her in the gutter. Geez! I do like Viola Davis, more like I love her but she GOT the Emmy. Be chill and see that Taraji deserved that Golden Globe. Stop hating like seriously its ridiculous. And some of y’all talkibg about yanking her dress away and yelling at her Escort….it was clearly a joke! Some of y’all just want to hate on her. Be cool. She has a great big personality if you can’t handle it that is most definitely your problem. But Taraji, Queen, deserved this 😙 I love her!

25. KC says:

Taraji is very rude and I can not believe she gave out cookies as she walked up to the stage. What an idiot. That show does not deserve any spotlight

26. mommy500 says:

I love me some Taraji. Congrats to her, but I have to admit that Viola’s acting range on HTGAWM greatly exceeds Taraji’s on Empire. I mean her acting is just superior in this case.

27. Rose Mergi says:

love her, from Vietnam

28. Elizabeth Brooks says:

I didn’t like her yelling at the usher to get off her train. He was trying to help and I thought she was rude to keep yakking. Even Stallone had only a minute or two.

29. Robin says:

Should have been Caitriona..

30. jane says:

Please leave the damn woman alone She was Right in tune with the host. Keeping it real In a comedic way…

31. Roze says:

Was Taraji P. Henson drunk?

32. jane says:

Taraji was caught up in the moment. She was in her cookie character… No doubt Taraji is a drama queen. Hats off to all the nominees For Best Actress in a Drama Series…

33. Ana says:

34. Ana says:

I haven’t seen the show, so I don’t know if she deserved to win. What I’m wondering is why no one is talking about how much of a bitch she was to the guy who accidentally stepped on her dress train on the way up the steps to accept. She was very rude to him, then it seemed like she realized she looked like a bitch, smiled and gave her speech. I’ve been a fan of hers for a while now but this left me wondering if we’ve been given a glimpse behind the fake Hollywood smile. After the incident with her son, where she looked dumb, I can’t help but feel the snippy bitch is the real her. Too bad, she’s talented.

35. Tammi says:

After watching Taraji act like she did on the globes, I’m no fan no more. Very tacky!

36. curtis says:

Why is it always people who don’t watch all of these shows who have such a strong opinion?…I do watch all of them infact and Taraji deserved it. N emmy voters and golden globe voters seldomly pick the same winners. I knew Viola wasnt gonna win or Julia Louis Dreyfus.

37. johnny says:

I really thought it would have been Viola Davis, whom I adore. But this year I think Eva Green deserved it more. I don’t really watch Empire, but congrats anyway to Taraji.

38. Yolanda says:

Yes I believe she deserved to win. The real question is: Why is this question being asked? The lady plays that role with excellence and is one of the primary reasons for the shows success. I was so very happy for her. Cookie! Cookie! Cookie!

39. Akira Hideyo says:

Viola or Taraji. All’s good.

40. Jadee says:

Disgusting person. Handing out cookies with her bare stank hands and then yelling at someone for being on her train like some diva and then grabbing the award and being a disgusting pig of a woman. She cant act in her show and she doesnt know how to act in real life like a lady. Ghetto garbage 100% .

41. CleanCutDavon says:

Taraji P Henson= Good actor but lacks professionalism and character in crucial moments. Low intelligent people don’t have the ability to see beyond a TV show .