Downton Abbey Marigold Kidnapped

Downton Abbey Recap: Hog Wild

You know you’re living at Downton Abbey when a pig competition is the least messy part of your week.

Sunday’s annual Malton fat stock show took a dramatic turn when Marigold pulled a Michelle-Tanner-at-Disney-World and totally vanished, sending the entire Crawley clan into an appropriate state of panic. Fortunately, Mr. Drew knew exactly where the little nugget had run off to — or, rather, where she’d been taken.

Edith’s daughter was found safe and sound(ish) in the arms of Mrs. Drew, who remains exactly the kind of woman Lifetime movies are made of. (“She was bored,” Mrs. Drew said in her defense of taking Marigold, as the sound of foreboding violins crept into the scene.) I feel kind of bad saying this, but Mrs. Drew totally lost my sympathy this week. Having Marigold taken from her was heartbreaking, but snatching her back? Not cool, lady.

Elsewhere this week…

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION | Now that Carson and Mrs. Hughes have decided to seal the deal — in every sense of the word — it’s time to start planning the wedding! Robert graciously offered to “decorate the servants’ hall and make it look very special,” but Mary and Edith were quick to offer a complimentary upgrade to the main house. Carson was, as always, ready to accept whatever crumbs the Crawleys were willing to throw his way, but Mrs. Hughes wasn’t quite so eager. “I just don’t want to be a servant on my wedding day,” she told her stoic fiancé. “Is that so wrong?” I really want this wedding to work out, but based on the preview of next week’s episode, in which Cora tells a fur-coated Mrs. Hughes, “This is not the kind of behavior I would look for from you,” I’m thinking the road to the altar will be a bumpy one. (Isn’t there a 1925 version of David Tutera they can call to sort all this out?)

TRY, TRY AGAIN | Five seasons after Anna helped lug Mr. Pamuk’s scandalous corpse down the halls of Downton, Mary finally repaid the favor this week: Heartbroken over her lady’s maid’s apparent inability to maintain a pregnancy, she took Anna to the doctor who helped her conceive George. And as happy as I am that she’s one step closer to birthing the Bates baby of her dreams, was anyone else a little unsettled by the doctor’s no-hospital-required “cervical incompetence” surgery plan? I’m just saying, the Abbey doesn’t have the best track record of in-house medical care — unless we’re all choosing to forget the whole Lady Sybil incident.

CLOCK-BLOCKED | I’d like to believe that Thomas will get a happy ending when Downton comes to a close this season, but with less than 10 episodes left to go, things are looking characteristically grim for the slick-haired schemer. Not only is Andy proving himself to be the new Jimmy — he shot down Thomas’ offer for a walk in the woods and for his help with “winding the clocks,” which I’m pretending is an old time-y euphemism for sex — but he also bombed a job interview. Well, it’s not so much that he bombed it as his potential employer turned out to be a big ol’ homophobe. (Who are you calling a “delicate-looking fellow,” you Mr. Monopoly wannabe?)

Odds and Ends:
* Rose might be pregnant, per Mary’s interpretation of her latest letter, which means she’s already infinitely more interesting off-camera than she was on.
* Isobel and Violet are back at each other’s throats over the hospital situation, which is fun to watch, though I kind of miss their “friendship.” (I’m putting that in quotes, because I’m not sure what else to call it.)

Your thoughts on this week’s particularly grabby DowntonDrop ’em in a comment below.

1. Lia says:

“* Only Lady Mary could make a sentence like “I’ll discuss it with our pig man” sound elegant and lyrical. Bless her.”

So true. Ah, I’ll miss Downton so much …

2. Alichat says:

I do wish Mr Drewe had told his wife about his conversation with Robert. I would like to think she’d have reined her emotions in if he’d told her about it.

3. Misha says:

It’s Mr. Drewe, not Mr. Drew I believe.

4. Carol McBride says:

I think we saw Tom Branson from the back I the previews – oh I hope so

5. S says:

Mrs. Drew lost a daughter she loved when, after going through the “messy” bit of actually raising the chil, Edith literally walked into a room and reclaimed her. This entire story was so tragic, and there never was a moment wherevEdith ever seemed to be sorry at all. Shockingly, no one else did any more than remark on “poor Edith”. With so few episodes to go and no further resolution in sight, this is on story that they got very wrong.

• Gail says:

Perhaps that is the point. Someone of Edith’s class wouldn’t think about how her actions effected Mrs. Drewe. The Drewes are not servants at Downton . There is not a sense of closeness like between Anna and Mary. Mr. Drewe felt indebted to the Crawleys because they allowed him to stay on the farm a few years ago when he couldn’t pay his rent to them. Perhaps Edith just thinks that the Drewes taking in Marigold is just repaying their debt to the family. Not that this in any way justifies what Edith did.

• Liz985 says:

Not my favorite story arc of Downton Abbey, but just to play Devil’s Advocate for “poor Edith” the morality of the times put her in a pretty insupportable position, too. It was evident from the beginning that she didn’t want to give her child up but was feeling her aunt’s pressure, as well as the unavoidable public condemnation, if she had the girl out-of-wedlock. I mean if Mary was concerned about being blackmailed for a week-long fling with Tony this would have been a disaster of pretty big proportions. In the real world, and not the lovely TV world that Julian Fellowes has created, she would have been pretty much a pariah to her family and society. I just wish that the character of Edith would grow bolder and that the show would take more chances. She should have moved to Chicago or somewhere else and started over. But then, I guess it wouldn’t be “Downtown Abbey” but “drama set in the early-20th century.”

6. Scullycat says:

So who else is seeing the complete set-up of Mr. Mason taking over the Drewe farm now that they are leaving?

7. Lyn says:

It must be a foregone conclusion that Mr. Mason will take over Yew Tree farm in the wake of the Drewe’s leaving. Now if Mr. Mason could marry Mrs. Patmore, Daisy could have her mother figure and father figure together.

8. Jake says:

Does anyone else feel that Edith should put on her big girl unders and just tell Mary that Marigold is hers? I mean Mary is not that dumb.

9. RZ says:

Did Mary actually say that she may have been insensitive this week? What a shock!

10. RZ says:

Also I was hoping that Edith would choose to move to London and take Marigold with her rather than having the Drewes move elsewhere.

11. Emily says:

Oh, Andy. Just a few years ago I would have felt the same as you about Mrs. Drewe…like, enough already. But now that I have small children in my life (niece and nephew), that scene with her singing to Marigold and Marigold taking comfort from it just broke my heart. I can’t imagine caring for a child and then having her taken away. Or maybe I can imagine and that is the point. Anyway, it was a well-done scene and I appreciated Robert’s handling of a delicate situation. Not something he always does well, I should say.

12. Geri Mariano says:

Even with re watching episode 2 now three times at different times, I still keep missing who called Mary “Auntie” as Mary clearly stated after that she hoped that would be the last time she’d be called “Auntie” …anyone else catch this scene in its entirety?