Outlander Video: Claire and Jamie Fight in That Pivotal Scene from Book 2

Warning: This post contains detailed descriptions of events that will take place in Season 2 of Outlander. If you’d rather not be spoiled, do not keep reading.

Every couple has its spats. But the argument between the Frasers in this newly released Outlander featurette is a big one — one of the turning points of the second season, we’d say — and so it and the video in which it appears deserve closer scrutiny.

Dust off your tartan and join us, won’t you?

The roughly two-minute sneak peek gives us a good look at Claire and Jamie’s life in France, as they infiltrate Bonnie Prince Charlie’s social circle in an attempt to derail the impending (and doomed) Jacobite rebellion. There are beautiful costumes, lavish location shoots… and Mr. and Mrs. Fraser, brandishing weapons and near-spitting on each other as they hurl passionate, angry words.

Readers of Diana Gabaldon’s novels know that Jamie and Claire’s biggest fight in Dragonfly in Amber — on which Season 2 is based — comes after they learn that [no seriously: Spoiler alert!] Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall survived the stampede at the prison.

When a Jamie makes clear his plan to end Randall’s life, Claire begs him not to: Though she understands his need for vengeance, she reasons that killing Black Jack means her husband Frank will never be born, seeing as how he’s a direct descendant of the sadistic redcoat.

“You owe me that much, James Fraser,” she says, crying, a scene we see in the video. “You owe me a life” — referring to when she saved him from death at the abbey. In the same scene, Jamie gets all up in his wife’s face as he angrily counters, “Must I bear everyone’s weakness?” and offers the ultimatum: “Him or me?”

Later in the featurette, we see Jamie engaged in a duel with someone; in that same scene, it appears that Lord Broch Tuarach screams “Claire!”… and we’d get into what comes next, but I think we’ve all had enough Fraser strife for the time being, no?

Outlander will return in April. Until then, click through the gallery below for some more in-depth analysis of the video at the top of the post (Louise! That weasel of a prince! The men ready for battle!), then hit the comments with what you’re most looking forward to see in Season 2.

1. Liz says:

THAT was certainly a strong moment in the 2nd book, as well as what’s happening after the duel…
    Read the books, people! It helps to bear Droughtlander…

2. Linda says:

I wonder if they’ll condense it. He accedes to her wishes for a while at least saying he wants her to have someone who loves her waiting in case she has to go back.

3. Ian says:

If she knows what age Randall conceived Frank’s direct ancestor, then can’t they agree Jamie can kill Randall after that?

4. Judy says:

That person Jaime is dueling appears to have sideburns/beard which Randall doesn’t have. It almost looked like season 2 pics of Murtaugh. And the slip mo into Culloden….Dougan is killed prior to that, right?

5. Drew says:

I hope that season 2 has better pacing. As someone who read the book, I could fill in a lot of the weaker areas in my mind. But I know someone who never read the book and a lot of it seemed rushed and poorly written to that person. It was really abbreviated in a lot of ways that didn’t help the story.
    The show is beautifully shot and acted, but the writing, especially in the back half, could have been stronger.
    Then again, there are also emotional beats missing from the books themself, so maybe the show can fill in some gaps there too.

6. DCMurphy says:

Great photo gallery, thanks!! Because I see Dougal behind Jamie, I don’t think the battle scene is Culloden, but maybe Prestonpans?

7. Guest says:

I was thinking for a second there that Faith (people who read the books will know who that character is) wasn’t even going to be part of the show but after the scene with Jamie after his duel screaming Claire’s name..I think they’re sticking to the book for that part at least! That battle scene we saw couldn’t have been Culloden since there was a certain character (again if they stick with the books) in the background that wasn’t at the battle! Soooo excited for this season!! Love outlander!!!

8. Guest says:

And for the love of all that is holy…where the heck is the other trailer that was released!?!!!? I keep seeing articles about this trailer that shows Claire in the 1700s and the 1900s featuring her “extremely pregnant” in both but the only new trailer I have found is the one on this article page..nothing about the 1940s that I saw in this one and I’ve watched it multiple times already..so are people just sniffing the permanent marker too much or is my phone just not allowing me to see this other trailer!?!? 0_o and if neither does anyone know where I can find it? It’s not on YouTube so is has to be on an ew, variety, tvline, etc kind of site..
    Le sigh

9. Anna Bolic says:

(sings) I know what comes ne-ext…! ;)

Seriously can NOT wait!!

10. Correction: Claire’s claim that Jamie owes her a life does not refer to her saving him at Wentworth and after. She’s referring to a specific event in season 2 itself. Keep watch for it! :)