TNT Titans Series

Titans: TNT's DC Comics Adaptation Is Not Moving Forward

TNT will not be bringing DC Comics’ Titans to the small screen, network president Kevin Reilly confirmed on Thursday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.

“It is not [still in development],” Reilly shared. “We just decided it wasn’t quite where we wanted to go.”

Though announced nearly 16 months ago, not much had been officially said about the live-action project, which follows a group of young superheroes led by Dick Grayson aka Batman’s sidekick Robin, who is fated to become Nightwing. Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) penned the pilot with Marc Haimes, and has reported that the titular team would also include Barbara Gordon, Hawk/Hank Hall and Dove/Dawn Granger, Raven/Rachel Roth and the alien princess Starfire.

Back in May, Reilly told TVLine that some semblance of production could maybe get underway in  Summer 2015 — which obviously came and went.

Reilly at that time attributed the delay in even as much as casting to Goldman’s busy schedule, and also noted that he and the writer agreed that a Titans adaptation would need to be special to stand out amid TV’s ever-growing superhero universe. (Reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sammy says:

Boo! Was looking forward to that but i suppose even getting them to use those characters may have been a problem… oh well.

2. Dumb. Superhero TV shows are hotter than Hanzel in Zoolander right now.

3. Cody says:

TNT is really disappointing me with their announcements at this year’s TCA tour! First they axe Rizzoli & Isles and then they announce that they’re not moving forward with the one project I’ve been anxiously awaiting!

4. AngelWasHere says:

Aw this is one superhero show I would have watched. :(

5. Azerty says:

So now Dick Grayson / Nightwing is available to become a guest star on Arrow? Please say yes.

• Z says:

I doubt it… Gotham probably has dibs on the bat characters.

• Azerty says:

Probably but storywise I don’t see why a grown up Dick Grayson would appear in Gotham when Bruce is still a kid. No I am aware it is very unlikely for Arrow but I think it is more related to Dawn of Justice, it was implied in the trailer that the Joker killed one of the Robin so I wouldn’t be suprised if they plan to introduce them in one of the movies.

• StephonJS says:

not with the current timeline. Dick’s parents just got together in season 1. he isnt even a live yet on Gotham

6. Z says:

This doesnt surprise me… The lack of any news on the project for such a length of time is never a good sign.

7. James D says:

WTH TNT I was looking forward to this, even if it did have hawk/dove in it. boo to you boo.

8. MoshiMoshi says:

Well that sucks….

9. Bill says:

TNT sucks. If it did go forward it would have been a disaster and cancelled after maybe 2 seasons

10. Drewer says:

Oh I really wanted this to happen!!! Oh well, maybe at some point someone else will make something else with Nightwing/Robin in it.

• Jeff hunter says:

I just tweeted Greg Berlanti and told him the Ball was in his Court to bring TITANS and Steven R. McQueen to the CW!jeff

• Z says:

Whats with all the Steve McQueen love? He is a terrible actor.. need someone better if the character ever shows up.

• Ray says:

Word. Just because the actor has been the most vocal about wanting to play the part doesn’t mean it shouldn’t go to more worthy or capable thespians.

• Jeff hunter says:

From a Comic book fan’s p.o.v, McQueen looks like Richard Grayson, acts like Dick Grayson, bottom line:he would bring Grayson to life the way ledger and quite possibly leto brought/will bring the joker to life ,he’s also a REAL Fan of the actual Books it would help become a better Actor with good material like the New Teen Titans from the’80s and some stuff from the’90s and the spy stuff he’s doing now in the books.I’ve watched Chicago Fire and actually counted scenes he’s in and Dick Wolf/Wolf Films isn’t letting do anything IMO!Sorry if I offended anyone this just needs to happen,jeff

• Z says:

Ledger and Leto are real actors.. I havent seen anything McQueen has done to show he has those chops… and who cares if he is a fan of the books? The actors just have to portray what the writers/directors give them to do.. you learn the material and act…. I dont think knowing the comics is important for an actor… it might even get in the way…

11. Goldenvibefan says:

well this ruined my day. I was looking forward to this show so much.. UGGGGG

12. StephonJS says:

booo! I was ready for this. smh. CW needs to do Titan

13. lee says:

This was like the one show I was super hyped for since it was first announced. Here’s to hoping another station will pick up the rights. I think if done properly it could be a really good show with a stellar group dynamic

14. Frank says:

I love teen titans and would love to see a live action tv show. Hopefully the project is shelved and not scrapped.

15. Rather than pass on Titans because of a sub-par script/development, TNT should get a new showrunner to re-develop a better version of the concept, one that does scream to get made. Networks do that all the time, like Emerald City on NBC as a recent example.