Castle Casts Gerald McRaney

Castle: Gerald McRaney Joins Season 8 for 'Legendary' Multi-Episode Arc

Castle is returning Gerald McRaney to his Simon & Simon roots, tapping the acting vet to join Season 8 as the grandaddy of all private eyes.

TVLine has learned exclusively that McRaney is set to appear in multiple episodes as Mason Wood, the head of a legendary and secretive private detective society.

It’s not clear how McRaney’s mysterious character figures into the ABC drama’s larger mythology (if at all), but he’ll first turn up in this season’s 14th episode — the Los Angeles-set outing that will also feature guest star Summer Glau.

McRaney recently co-starred in TNT’s short-lived Sharon Stone drama Agent X.

Castle resumes its current eighth season on Monday, Feb. 1.

1. JImN says:

Looks like episode 14 is suffering from the wrath of the Castle fan base. Too many PR announcements of minor actors to prob up a Beckett light episode. Must be worse than we think. So, why aren’t they using the actress who has just one her third consecutive PAC award to make her show one of only 5 shows to win more than one award last night?

• Tammy says:

Where is everyone getting that this will be s Stana-less or Stana-lite episode? Sources please!!!

• JImN says:

I’ll take anything new Castle Recap Season 7 Episode 21you can tell us about Castle. –Rachael
        Episode 14 will send Rick, Alexis and Hayley to Los Angeles to investigate a murder that has ties to an NYPD case. Also in that hour, we discover that a familiar face — though not Kate’s (yet?) — may be linked to Castle’s wedding-day vanishing.

• exactly it says this no where. except from the people who always have something to complain about in comment sections

• John NYC says:

lots of fandoms have that issue these days. Maybe before but pre-social media there’d have been fewer outlets (mailbags filled with vitriolic letters don’t get as widely circulated)

• no where. except from the people who always have something to complain about in comment sections

• KLS says:

People assume 8.14 will be Beckett-less/lite because Castle is going to LA on a case. No real evidence….

• annek says:

People who follow taping say she hadnt been on set except, i believe, two days. So Beckett lite.

• Disappointed says:

Stana started her Christmas break just as they started filming this episode and only seemed to be available for Day 8. I think we need to accept that now that Beckett has been promoted and ABC spent all that money on Castle’s P.I. office, and there has been so much promotion of super sleuth Alexis and “the voice the show was lacking” Hayley, that the original show based on a writer and his muse solving crimes TOGETHER is no more. The showrunners have admitted that despite their reconciliation in 8×08 Caskett will be keeping up the pretence of their estrangement for the forseeable future so the most we can expect for Caskett interaction is the odd booty call to keep the shippers happy. This episode may even mirror In Plane Sight when Castle and Beckett didn’t share any face to face scenes at all.

• none of them were you says:

Yea, I’m wanting to know too!! What about episodes 9-13? Are these going to be Stana-less too?

2. brad says:

lol why dont they just announce the spin off already

3. Zianna says:

This show is now “Castle P.I” and it’s not even a funny complaint anymore … it’s what s8 has morphed into.

4. John NYC says:

Feb. 1: sigh.

I really dislike these huge winter breaks.

Now Gerald McRaney I like. A lot. Awesome voice.

5. Alex says:

This PI cr*p is never going to end, is it ? 😭

• Anonymous says:

It will when the ratings tank even further. What an absolute POS this show has become.
      And yet another FOF (friend of Fillion) is guesting. Summer Glau? Really? Castle has become Nathan’s personal playground. No wonder the show is crisp. It’s bad enough were getting his soap opera buddies. I will absolutely throw up my lunch when Alan T shows up. Cuz you know that’s coming.
      Sad. Sad. Sad.

• John NYC says:

Shrug: roles get filled by actors.

OTOH it does appear that his former coworkers haven’t found him so intolerable to work with that they AVOID a show he’s on…. which is a plus for him at the least.

• Brigid says:

Everyone seems to love Nathan and enjoys working with him. Who cares if his actor friends come on the show, at least they are good actors who do their characters well? I don’t understand the complaints at all.

• KLS says:

I don’t understand the issue here either. If you were in a startup company of 100 people or less, on a tight delivery schedule, of course you would hire/recommend people that you worked with before who you knew were competent and could do the job. If you think of these shows like small companies, then a lot of their decisions make more sense.

• lkh says:

Most people don’t like nepotism.

• John NYC says:

Fillion isn’t related to any of those people.

• lkh says:

Friends count in that definition as does the use of power in bringing in family and friends.

• John NYC says:

And they don’t in this one.
            Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives. The term originated with the assignment of nephews to cardinal positions by Catholic popes and bishops. Nepotism can occur in various fields including: politics, entertainment, education, business, and religion.”

• lkh says:

Well, ain’t language fun! Familiar with the origin, but from a business perspective, it has come to include both family and friends. But who really gives a s$$t–he’s guilty of favoritism.

• John NYC says:

Since he doesn’t do the hiring: no he isn’t.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

I enjoy Gerald McRaney dating back to the heydays of Simon & Simon. Whatever happened to his co-star Jameson Parker? He hasn’t been seen in a very long time.

7. aph1976 says:

I’m guessing that Summer Glau’s character will be working for or with Gerald McRaney’s character.Plus this could be a backdoor pilot for a spinoff.

• S. says:

That stuff doesn’t just come out of nowhere. TVLine would be sniffing that out if it were happening. Backdoor pilots aren’t some super dooper hidden secret. It feels less like a backdoor pilot and more of a prop up a Stana-lite ep with fun guest stars.

8. N says:

9. Opal says:

IMO this PI stuff needs to end. It does sound like they are planning a spinoff and without Beckett. Castle is Caskett, without Caskett Castle is doomed.

• NightOwl says:

Exactly! I still say Stana Katic may be planning to leave the show. That kills Castle as we know it, but it doesn’t mean they can’t plan for the future.

• Anonymous says:

All you need to do is look at ratings for any Beckett-lite episode. Or one featuring just him. Or one with him and Alexis. Ratings gold….not.
        Castle PI…..DOA.

• prish says:

It worked with Columbo.

• Disappointed says:

So Beckett just gets mentioned like Colombo’s wife, she doesn’t need to get killed off or Caskett divorce, she just is never seen again. It might have worked for Colombo but I don’t think that it would keep Castle going as so many people watch for the interaction of Castle and Beckett. That is what the show’s success was built on, not Castle and Alexis playing P.I. or Castle being a clown. An attempt to have a S9 without Beckett could be really embarrassing.

• prish says:

I’m thinking Martha, mainly, with Alexis, just like the family scenes that were always in an episode. However, I can’t imagine them wanting to continue that way. I’m just pointing out that would work.

• DR. ENIE says:

10. KLS says:

Is this when they are supposed to start their look into Castle’s disappearance?

11. MissEllys says:

Ouch. I remember when I had long ago dreams of Kate and Rick teaming up to travel the world as PIs together….so long ago

12. KayCeeCee says:

I like Gerald McRaney! He was one of the best things about Agent X. Looking forward to seeing him on Castle.

• Kathie says:

I like Gerald McRaney, too. I always watched Simon&Simon. Forgot about Major Dad. He was good in that, too. In recent years, he played a judge on Fairly Legal, Branch’s dad on Longmire (until they killed him off in the new Netflix season 4) and was a regular in Agent X. Didn’t realize it’d been cancelled till seeing on this thread. Bummer! I liked it.
      Re: Castle–I’d hate for it to be cancelled, but the new writing idiots seem to have no clue as to what made the series so enjoyable in the early years. I’m mad at TNT for skipping the second half of season 4 and the first half of season 5 on the weekday reruns, Then I went to my DVR list and found that I had recorded the season 4 finale, “Always” and almost all of season 5 and beyond. I watched it again yesterday, while recording TNT. I still cry at the last 10 mins of Always (I really wish I could find out the title/artist of that song that plays during the graduation speech and Beckett’s walk in the rain and their wedding and at the HS dance and here and there in other episodes. As I watched, I reveled in the original attraction of the story–Castle/Beckett togetherness and connection, even before Beckett came to her senses and showed up at his door, dripping wet and saying,” …..I just want you”. That connection is not there now and it kills me. The humor is mostly gone, too. Such a waste of a previously delightful series. I watch the reruns almost every day on TNT and now can record them (new DVR service since early Nov.) I hope the writing idiots, who think the new story line is a “fresh twist” realize it is twisting them out of business.

• Act_On_Love says:

Is the song you’re thinking of “In My Veins”?

• Kathie says:

I don’t know the name. Nathan mentioned it once in an interview and it was a graphic in the left lower screen at the end of the wedding episode, but only the first time and not on reruns.
          I didn’t write it down either time. :(
          I love that song! I wish there were a disc with all the background music on Castle.

• Kathie says:

Thank you so much for suggesting “In My Veins”! I have Googled Castle TV show music numerous times with no results, but yesterday I tried it again on my phone and SURPRISE! I hit
          the jackpot. Today I had time to check it out on my computer, which gives me more space to work on it.
          A list of seasons came up with each episode and how many songs were in each. I clicked on Season 7, “The Time of Our Lives” and there it was! It was available on Amazon, so I ordered the album. Now I’m listening to it on the Amazon website, over and over with tears falling.
          I’m in the process of preparing myself for the cancellation of Castle, thanks to the idiot writers.
          That brings me to tears, too. 😂😪😢😁😁
          At least I can play this signature song any time I want.

13. End it Now says:

It just keeps getting worse and worse
    It never ends. Why dont these idiots get it over with and go ahead and announce the Castle PI spin off that will eithervnever make it past pilot or will die soon after.

Easy to see who is really at fault for this failed story line. The same person who was against Caskett in the first place!!

• KLS says:

I saw somewhere that Alexi Hawley has been given the green light for a new show for next season. It wasn’t Castle related.

• Joey says:

Go back and look at the first seven seasons ratings, we did not have a major problem until mid season 7. I know Hawley did three episodes in season 3, than disappeared. What is the only major difference, season 8 has, Hawley has to be the major show runner. Just go look at the ratings all down hill since Mr. Hawley took controls. I look at him to be someone you send in when you want to GOOD show to be destroyed. Maybe they are going to send him over to Grey’s Anatomy after Castle is done. They have just to high of ratings. If this is our last 14 episodes with Rick and Kate as husband and wife, even after she slapped him in the face. Let the separation of the two go away now, it might help to settle some unrested. We just continue to hear about spin offs and the show being canceled, I think they just keep talking about that so when it happens it is just old news. I still think ABC really knows that one of them Rick or Kate is not going to renew a contract this year, if that true please tell us now. I have written to Mr. Paul Lee four times and Mr. Richard Mayfield once. Still to this day no reply. I guess they just do not care about the fan base. Wouldn’t be great if they listened to what the fans wanted and looked at the polling that you Cartermatt did with the separation and fix it. Long before the last episode of a once great show, that all the fans loved to watch and voted all those PCA to Rick and Kate. Stana once said in a interview she did in November of 2014 she want to leave on a high note, so go do that.

14. Gern Blanston says:

I’m not a conspiracy theory guy. I don’t believe any of the rumors floating around about Castle behind the scenes. With that being said this episode is starting more and more to look like some kind of backdoor pilot for a possible spinoff or an option for a season 9 without Beckett. There just seems to be so many announcements for it that its almost like the writers are trying extra hard to make viewers pay attention to this specific episode. I know that they want people to watch all episodes, but this one has so much news out there about it that I just find it odd.

• KLS says:

Agreed. All of this news for 8.14. I guess 8.9-8.13 are just fillers?

• Just one thing says:

You may be on to something.
      But if ABC and the showrunners are delusional enough to think a stunt-cast backdoor pilot will somehow give this long-dead “Castle P.I.” fantasy life… Well, good luck with that, dudes.

• Kaz says:

Especially if they believe Molly Quinn can fill Stana Katic’s shoes LMAO.

• annek says:

Someone at ABC needs to man up and just admit whats happening here. It is obvious a spin off is being attempted. AH and TPW can stop their stupid interviews spewing nonsense about Caskett being the bread and butter of the show and getting stronger because its not happening-especially when they are never together, working or otherwise. Nice try tho boys. Truth time.

• prish says:

It would be fun with the grandmother, Martha, as part of the trio. It would have to be all three, Caste, Martha and kid.

• brad says:

lol you mean hayley castles new partner and probably should be his new muse

15. Kaz says:

I wish they would just announce Stana Katic has no desire to be on this show anymore….it’s sort of like saying the sky is blue it’s that obvious.

16. Veronica says:

Can’t wait. Love CASTLE But definitely Better with Gerald McRaney.

• prish says:

Castle, McRaney character and Alec Baldwin would be a great fun trio, solving crimes, while he was the world-famous writer, still.

17. Bella says:

I love Gerald McRaney. It might make me interested in the show again.

18. Susan says:

This is great casting – can’t wait to watch him! We are enjoying Castle this season. I don’t understand all of the negative comments.

19. Carla Krae says:

Major Dad! I watched Simon and Simon, too, but he’ll always be Major Dad to me.

20. Teri says:

I have an open mind because I love and want Castle to succeed and continue. Do not speculate about who or who won’t be in an episode. Negativity and rumors only fuel the fires. The show deserves better.

• Beckstle says:

The show deserves better than the shafting it’s getting from TPTB, but it’s obviously not going to get it. I would rather honor the memory of what was great about Castle than pretend what is going on now is anywhere near the quality – or even the basic premise – of the earlier seasons.

21. NDFan says:

Great casting! Looking forward to this and glad to see there are at least a few people who are as well. Once again, I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve actually watched the episode.

22. Mary S says:

I have liked Gerald McRaney since Simon and Simon…(tells you how old I am!) and was delighted to see him in Agent X – which was cancelled far too soon, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing him again on Castle and hope that his character is as likable as all the others I’ve seen him play.
    And, out of the 8 shows mentioned in that “are they or aren’t they going to be cancelled” I only watch two: Castle and Sleepy Hollow.. I would be really upset if either of them go MIA!!!

• anon says:

I guess that makes me young. Never heard of Gerald McRaney.
      But I trust that he is alright. Can’t rate someone I’ve never heard of.
      But I can rate this bad show that Castle has become.
      I don’t think this guy or anybody can revive the show.
      I am in no place to complain now because I have stopped watching this Castle PI.
      When I realized that Beckett was being pushed aside there was nothing left to watch.
      The big guy just doesn’t appeal to me.

• Nancy says:

You’ve missed some awesome acting! Try the last episode of LONGMIRE (at the end with Branch, his son) before it went to Netflix, and episode 3 of the following season. or last few episodes in season finale of SOUTHLAND. Check IMDB. You’ll be a big fan from then on. Promise! :)

23. There needs to be an interview with Nathan and Stana, maybe with AH and TPW, maybe without. Questions and topics should be those poised by so many viewer comments at various sites, e.g What exactly is new and exciting about Caskett with the breakup? What input, if any did SK and NF have into the story in their producer roles? Why hasn’t Lanie and Perlmutter been more integrated into the stories? What do AH and TPW think about the fact the Castle fans have voted for SK and NF 3 and 4 times, but the show much less? I’m sure there are a lot more legitimate and hard questions that can and should be asked, all without being personal or nasty. We deserve to know.

• none of them were you says:

I totally agree with you Ira Allen Ginsburg! I have always wondered why don’t they have a panel of everyone who has any input into the show answer all these questions out there on all the sites, instead of everyone speculating this or that. I am one of the most loyal Castle/Caskett fans out there. What made Castle become such a huge success(pre.S8) was the stories leading to what finally became CASKETT!! They had become the most loved tv couple. I’ve also wondered, like you, if Stana and Nathan had any input as producers, into these last 8 episodes. Hope their egos haven’t gotten in the way. Come on AH,TPW wake up! Are you NOT reading or hearing what’s being written? There is so much more i could say, but everyone else has too, so I’ll just shut up now! Oh, one more thing, Was Nathan and Stana actually at the PCA Wed. nite?

• KLS says:

Don’t think either one was there.

• Anonymous1 says:

Neither were at the PCAs , I think both egos have ruined the show

• Just one thing says:

What does one have to do with the other? Their show has taken home two trophies a year at the P-CBS-As, and they haven’t had stage time because they’re on a competing network. I don’t blame them for not showing up.

• lindag413 says:

Me either.Stana thanked her fans,not sure about Nathan.Why go when you get no air time and are treated so badly.Congratulations to them both.I voted for them and to tell you the truth I voted more for S7 than this year which is probably the idea anyways,I like them both and whatever happens this year,the spin off,etc I wish them well for all the years of enjoyment I have had with Castle and company.

24. Linda Giza says:

I like Gerald I am old enough to say I was a fan of Simon and Simon and Designing Women as well as his guest appearances,I look forward to seeing what he does.
    Who knows how it all goes down,we were warned that his looking into the disappearance was going to be the focus of the second half of S8.
    I hate the the story arc,I hate Loksat,blah blah.I just think nothing good will come do either storyline.JMO.
    At some point I will probably say enough……I Hope I see it through,I did with the XFiles when they too should have ended in S7.Something about S7’s it would seem.

25. Red says:

Come on, ABC, at least let us know which episode is the one where Beckett gets killed off and “Castle PI” starts.

• none of them were you says:

Now if they plan on killing off Beckett(if Stana doesn’t stay, that is) well as much as i love Nathan, I’ll stop watching because CASTLE IS NOT CASTLE WITHOUT CASKETT,right??

• lindag413 says:

Caskett it is.They kill off Beckett and daddy /daughter PI show starts I will be long gone.Rumors rumors.They are so far from the original concept I feel like Linda Blair in the Exorcist…..head 360.

• Ira Allan Ginsburg says:

As much as I love Stana, I would watch a few episodes without her as Beckett. That is however if they get a new “Beckett”. However no Beckett, no Castle and I don’t watch

26. racingphan says:

Anything is much better with Gerald McRaney in it. From Simon and Simon, Promised Land or Jericho, he’s been in some classic shows.

27. KLS says:

If they cut down Beckett’s role, whether it be SK or not, they probably will cut out “the boys” (Espo & Ryan) as well in people’s vision of Castle, P.I. Not sure if people are ready for that either.

• lindag413 says:

It makes sense that expanding the PI will diminish the others screen time.A shame,I never liked the the PI arcs and now it is going to envelop the series.I did not mind every once in a while but not what it looks like coming up.
      I feel tired and I wish it would just come back on so the guessing and rumors would go away,I too am guessing along with everyone and it is just making me tired.
      I know some great guests are supposed to be on,Dana Delaney,etc and I hope they will be with both Beckett and Castle not just Castle or Beckett,let’s have some really goodCaskett episodes somehow.Breaking them up on screen is sad,they are supposed to be be back together,fingers crossed.Alexis needs to find her own life.
      Why not Alexis and Hayley open a PI office of their own?Letsbring back the team.

28. drmsjenkins says:

All of the news about reunions and new characters fails to address what makes Castle work. Stana Katic and Nathan Fallon won the People’s Choice Awards for their respective characters. Castle, the series, did not win because it has gone off course. Like many others, I am disappointed with the current story line. The separation of Castle and Beckett made no sense. The ratings from the last two Fall episodes improved because fans saw glimpses of the romance, comedy and drama that made the Castle-Beckett relationship special.

When we see CASKETT engaged as partners, the series succeeds. When the characters are apart or primarily engaged with visiting cast members, interest wanes, fans rebel and the show fails. The characters of Beckett and Castle deserved the PCA because each has developed two terrific personalities that excel when their chemistry is CASKETT.

So I hope the writers get the message, GET CASTLE and BECKETT BACK TOGETHER SOLVING WHATEVER PROBLEMS COME THEIR WAY! Hoping to see long term commitment and reconciliation when the series returns.

29. John says:

Ok. I think the show should just go back to the basics. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel. Just more interesting cases pulled from headlines, real life stuff. That’s just my opinion.

30. Fran says:

Can’t wait to see the next episode!! Gerald McRaney is a great actor and should make the next episodes very interesting!!