Peoples Choice Awards 2016 Moments

People's Choice: Dakota's Dress Disaster and 8 More WTF? Moments

Even before that guy crashed The Talk ladies’ speech, the 2016 People’s Choice Awards had some very strange moments indeed.

The annual awards ceremony, broadcast on CBS and hosted by Hollywood Game Night‘s Jane Lynch, tabulates fan votes to honor the TV shows, movies and musicians best loved by us: the commoners.

Like most awards shows, though, the ceremony wasn’t without its quirks, inadvertently funny exchanges and “Huh?” moments. If you missed ’em, don’t worry: We’ve collected a bunch in this handy gallery.

They’re all here, from Dakota Johnson’s “boobs”-laden acceptance speech to Lynch’s unsuccessful attempt to hijack a played-out dance trend to Maddie Ziegler’s overbearing mom trying to take the spotlight again. Click through the gallery below to relive them all, then hit the comments with your most WTF? moment from the broadcast.

1. Et al. says:

The biggest wtf moment at the people’s choice awards is that the people’s choice awards still exist.

2. Jim J. says:

I think the biggest WTF moment is that they won’t let Melissa McCarthy (of Mike & Molly) be the host of the PCAs. In years past, they’ve let stars of “Two and a Half Men”, “The Big Bang Theory”, “2 Broke Girls”, and “Mom” host the PCAs, but no stars from “Mike & Molly”? Disappointment.

3. Team Machine says:

WTF moment: Person of Interest won Best Crime Drama beating out multi-year winner NCIS and it was not televised!

4. Lysh says:

I didn’t watch, but I was CRYING laughing over a gif of Matt Bellassiai winning but they focused on some other guy. Poor guy. xD
    I can’t watch these shows anymore since I know the producers’ choice is the final one.

5. John Monaghan says:

This award show is Pathetic American TV is Pathetic!

6. Steve F. says:

That was Troian Belisario? Girl needs to fire her stylist, ’cause she looked much older in that pic (and with that hairstyle, and with that dress…)!

• Ugh. I agree. She’s so pretty, but she wasn’t even recognizable in that severe hair and makeup.

• KT says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought so. I think she is pretty, but I can’t figure out why she dressed like that. I know this awards show is hokey, but you’d think she’d still make more of an effort or something with hair and clothing.

7. great put up, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of
    this sector do not realize this. You must continue your writing.
    I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

8. c-mo says:

Lots of WTF moments for me:
    The opening! That was probably one of the worst openings I’ve seen on this show! The auto tune was so bad she had to mock her high voice. Shameful!
    The random dude the cameraman thought was Matt Bellassiai
    The chick who cut in front of the clueless cameraman to sit down
    Vin Diesel singing?????
    This show was a complete mess from the very first second.

• Carla Krae says:

Vin’s song was from the movie. It was written for Paul and played during the scene where his character says goodbye. Vin and Paul were best friends, so in context it was totally a touching and appropriate thing.

9. Winston says:

I don’t know if anyone caught it, but when the grease live girls cut to the nominees for the category they were presenting, you can briefly see keke making a gesture with her hands telling Julianne and Vanessa to make some space since they had blocked her from the mic. Bad blood indeed.

Also, Melissa McCarthy is a little bitter about m&m cancelation maybe? Her “I wish we could do more” as she ended her speech was just a little too out of left field.

And finally, we gave up halfway through because it was so obvious most of the winners were bored out of their mind. You already knew who was going to win each category because the actual winner was basically the only celebrity who bothered to show because they probably knew beforehand that they we’re winning this their whole acceptance speech and reaction just felt flat.

• dan says:

The winners of PCA know in advance. This has always been the way the show is produced. The creators/producers figured it was a good way to get stars to come to the telecast. Then they started adding more and more categories so that just about everybody in Hollywood gets a PCA (I can hear Oprah shouting “You get a PCA, and you get a PCA” as she points to the people in the crowd).

10. Dude says:

John Stamos’s line to Priyanka Chopra was pretty tacky seeing as he had just spent like five minutes making his own speech.