Mike & Molly Season Premiere

Mike & Molly Season Premiere Recap: Book Tour de Force

With only a few months until Mike & Molly say goodbye, it’s fitting that the CBS comedy’s titular couple spent Wednesday’s season premiere mending their damaged relationships — even if they did so by accident.

Following the unfortunate business from last season’s finale — lest you forget, Carl is still quite salty about being uninvited from Mike’s family cruise — the partners attempted to make amends through couple’s therapy. That went… about as well as you’d expect. And things didn’t get much better when the two ran into each other at a gay cop bar, where Carl had some harsh words for his now-former partner: “You’re not a cop, you’re a liability!” (I mean, he wasn’t wrong, but that’s still got to hurt.)

Like most of life’s squabbles, it took an unexpected twist — in this case, Mike accidentally blowing a hole through the roof of his squad car while patrolling with his new partner — to reunite the feuding friends. Watching Carl come to Mike’s defense while the rest of the precinct mocked his poor shotgun skills was damn near heartwarming.

Meanwhile, Molly was forced to fly solo during an NPR interview about her and Peggy’s new book. She might have bored the listeners to tears, but I have to give credit where credit is due: She’s got that radio voice down to a science. If Sarah Koenig ever decides she’s done with Serial, I know who they should call.

This led to a kind-of bizarre revelation from Peggy, that she refuses to enjoy life because she believes God would punish her for it. That’s dark, Peggy. That’s real dark.

Now tell us, Mike & Molly faithful: Was Wednesday’s season premiere worth the wait? And do you think you’ll be ready to say goodbye when the finale comes a-knocking? Grade the episode below, them drop a comment with all of your thoughts.

1. Terry says:

I don’t know who is really behind the cancellation of this show, but CBS should change their minds and try to keep it. It is always funny.

• Michele says:

I love this show,as well! I wish they would reconsider their choice to cancel this. With all the garbage on T.V.,this show is a breath of fresh air!

2. chadcronin says:

They could still renew it. I certainly hope so!

3. Sam says:

This show is so great. It’s the quintessential American sitcom. It’s just laugh out loud funny and a solid good 22 minutes. I’ll miss this show.

4. abz says:

I hate that this is the final season. I love the leads and the supporting cast. It’s one of the few half hour sitcoms that I watch and I still find it funny and entertaining. I wish they’d reverse their decision.
    Is it just me or is Melissa McCarthy losing weight?

5. Pat says:

It is sad to know that this will be the final season. Melissa has definitely lost weight and Billy seems to have put more weight on. Last night’s episode was good but it just seemed like the actors hearts were not in it and I figured it was because they all knew that the end is coming when they taped these final episodes. This by far is one of the funniest sitcoms that my husband and I watch and laugh at.

6. LT says:

Big mistake cancelling this show.

7. Better than all the other supposed comedies on the tube. Some thought is given to the lines, where as other shows are just brazen, hit you in the face, slap stick and often rude!

8. Diane says:

Unbelievable how can anyone cancel thus great show. It is hilarious! Great laughs good for everyone! Why Why cancel the show? No logic involved from the powers that be!!!!

9. Phyllis says:

Again another show gets the boot its one of the funnys shows on why don’t u people ask us what we want I watch all the reruns and love it so much take that two broke girls off

10. tom says:

leave it on.

11. Pat says:

I hate to see them cancelled
    .it’s my favorite show. I’m so bummed.