Exclusive

Hawaii Five-0 Sneak Peek: Steve and Danny Get a 'Couple' of Big Surprises

This Friday on Hawaii Five-0 (CBS, 9/8c), Steve and Danny (played by Alex O’Loughlin and Scott Caan) are looking forward to a retreat full of golf, drinking and other bromantic fun — but instead get handed an itinerary that includes… well, you’ll see.

Because as revealed in this exclusive sneak peek, somebody make an “oops” when signing the “partners” up for a weekend workshop. But maybe there’s a blessing to be found in this blooper…?

Elsewhere in the episode “Kuleana” (Hawaiian for “One’s Personal Sense of Responsibility”), Kamekona’s dangerous past comes back to haunt him.

Want more scoop on H50, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Laura says:

Ah so this the annual queerbaiting episode, gotcha. I won’t be watching.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Steve and Danny’s “bromance” continues to be the problem. Hope next season will end if it gets renewed.

3. Lee says:

I love the bromance aspect of Hawaii Five-0 so that part is great. Also love the mention of Danny’s girlfriend, Melissa. Why no mention of Lynn, though? CBS promoted her as Steve’s new love interest and she’s supposed to come back for Valentine’s Day but McGarrett sets up a date with Allyssa? Hope this comes up in the therapy? After all Doris and Catherine have put McGarrett through, it can’t hurt, right?

4. Mary says:

Thank you so much, Matt, for this exclusive… I hope it will be a fun episode, but that it will also have sweet and emotional moments between them, I’m missing those kind of moments. And i hope one day these two will get to be together, I think they are perfect for each other. Thanks again.

5. Grace says:

LOL, I love it!! I can’t wait for this episode! The sneak peeks have been awesome. I love how Steve is like “we can work with this.” I can’t wait to see how he and Danno do in couples therapy. It’s going to be great!

6. I find it so interesting how all of a sudden this becomes a “Cath hater, Cath lover, Where’s Lynn, Now it’s Alyssa, OMG queerbaiting or is it girlfriends” from a brief promo — please. Can’t we all just get along? (Yes I’m naive) It seems like it’s going to be a fun, cute episode. The dolphins and pretty caught my interest, frankly. Why not watch it first before deciding what it is or isn’t? Unless you’re in the writers’ room and know what’s going to happen and care to tell us all now, I’d think we should reserve judgment, so everyone can just watch it and enjoy whatever aspect they want to take from it.

• Grace says:

Thank you!! I feel the same way, DrDebD. I enjoy the hell out of this show! I liked Steve and Catherine, and I liked Steve’s date with Lynn. Alyssa on the plane seems cool–loved her reaction to the boys. And I love Steve and Danno together, as friends or as a pseudo-couple, lol. This show is pure, unadulterated fun–we should all get along!

• Really? says:

Count me in on that as well. I get very annoyed and tired with all the sniping that goes on–I watch a show because I enjoy it. If the show bothers some so much, please get a life and don’t share your snark…it’s not wanted or needed.

7. Paul says:

The problem I have with this episode is that it looks like it’s built on the concept of characters doing dumb things for plot reasons. That’s weak writing. It’s found a lot in sitcoms, because after all, one must create the situation to extract the comedy. But even there it feels forced when the characters behave atypically.

SEALs plan relentlessly. They do not succeed by guesswork; everything they do involves acquisition of intelligence, formulation of a plan and then execution of that plan. And McGarrett has demonstrated this quality.

If he’s acting completely out of character, this will be a poor episode. If there’s a plan here the clip doesn’t show, then the quality of the episode will depend on what that plan is. I doubt they’re going to reveal, after so many seasons, that McGarrett is gay and this is his plan for hooking up with Dano. That would be awful writing, because it would contradict far too much canon. It’s also not what the show has ever been about.

I don’t see how this could be a good episode. This show might be revving up the motorcycle.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Revving up the motorcycle”…? LOL

• Grace says:

Well, McGarrett does seem awfully okay with it pretty quickly… maybe it is his plan for romancing Danno. ;) I’m sure it’s not in actuality, but what’s the harm in playing with the fun homoerotic undertones in the show? The guys are cute together, as is their bromance. Their bickering and “I love you” declarations are fun to watch. So where’s the harm?

• ann ann says:

I think that this time it’s just that they adapted the plot to the hotel sponsorship.. and not very subtly..

• Gail Lessard says:

Agreed totally!

8. Stacy says:

I find the “bromance” funny, but I won’t deny that the show is essentially queerbaiting and never denies it.

• lindae5o says:

Oh stop !! The show is only ‘queer-baiting’ to the shippers, and this episode is just going to get their hopes up. Alex and Scott have both been comfortable in interviews, joking about their bromance, but the gay hook-up is never going to happen, because their characters have never hinted at those feelings. (Paul, I’m glad you used the word ‘canon’). Steve and Danny are good friends who would do anything for each other in a work situation, or away, and shippers have made more of it, because that’s what shippers do.
      The bickering is getting ‘old’, IMO. Steve should have softened his bossiness, (though I do love him), and Danny should have lightened up on b*tching and complaining, by now. Time for both to ‘mellow’ out.

• Stacy says:

In terms of online fandom activity, the McDanno shippers far outweigh McRollins or anyone else. I’m aware it’s not canon; I also believe the writers are attempting to please both crowds. That’s what makes it queer baiting; it’s precisely because it’s never going to happen.

• ann ann says:

Yeah, shippers make a lot of noise, but love is accessory in H50, if you follow posts on twitter, for any show, you get the idea that there’s only soap operas on tv.. I think anyway that I like the bromance because it comes out of friendship. I mean.. it’s easy to imagine people struck by love, and sexual attraction, doing absurd things for one another. It means more, when people is there when you need them because they’re your friends, despite their family and love priorities. You take away that from McGarrett & Williams and everything would be somewhat boring.

9. Rick says:

Some of the things they make these 2 guys do are so stupid that they would never ever happen in real life.

10. Joey Padron says:

Good sneak peek clip. Can’t wait for new episode on Friday!

11. mrsfoxxe says:

Well from bad to worst! Time to ride off into the sunset

12. mrsfoxxe says:

The end!!!!!

13. Jake says:

Lame premise due to a weak writing staff, but this show was never anything but Friday night fluff, a lot of eye candy and action, little actual plotting and story development.

14. Karen says:

Is Lorraine, the therapist, Sally Struthers?

• Glenn says:

That’s what I thought when I saw her, but then I realized that she was a little too young to be Sally. So I looked it up on IMDB.com, and no, that’s not her. It’s an actress named Kinna McInroe, born in 1973, when Sally was already acting in All in the Family.

15. Vickie says:

Just saw the previews for next weeks program. You have just lost two viewers. The storyline with Adam & Kona’s life always being in danger is now just lazy writing and boring. Too bad. The rest of the show has some good chemistry.

16. was last nights episode a good one we have episode three on sunday

17. Munoz says:

Why does cbs keeps taking actors out each week example sometimes theytake Danny out than Steve than konoi than the other detevtive fans don’t like that so please stop taking our main characters out please you are jeopardizing the series t y very much

• nunu says:

25 episodes for a season are a lot.. Caan has a child in los angeles and signed not to be in some episodes to be able to see his family.. Kono was off when pregnant I believe, and she’s also from the mainland.. I think it’s more the actors demanding less screen time than the producers…

18. Tammy Abeyta says:

Just watch it .its hilarious.
    Must see!!

19. Yvette says:

The one thing I love most about this show IS the relationship and bond between the 5-0 members. Its what most people complain about– that it should focus more on being a cop show, bla bla– but its the relationship aspect that sets this show apart from other crime shows.