Being Mary Jane Renewed

Being Mary Jane Renewed for Season 4

Being Mary Jane is staying at the anchor desk.

BET has renewed the Gabrielle Union-starring drama for Season 4, the network announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.

Union made a surprise appearance during BET’s opening remarks, during which president of programming Stephen Hill told the actress that production will get underway later this year in Atlanta.

BMJ‘s third season ended on its most dramatic note yet: Just as Mary Jane decided to rid herself of the negativity in her life, her niece was pulled over — and subsequently assaulted by — a white police officer, a traumatic encounter that went instantly viral.

1. MzTeaze says:

Awesome. Season 4 will be the first without creator and writer Mara Brock Emil and her husband as director. Will be interesting to see how it progresses without them.

2. Coal says:

Excellent news. With no offence to Taraji P. Henson and Viola Davies with their performances on Empire and How to get away with murder Gabrielle Union’s work on Being Mary Jane is phenomenal and the stories being told on Being Mary Jane as a whole are great.

• Laurie says:

Gabrielle Union’s portrayal of Mary Jane is multi-dimensional, fresh and riveting. Other performances on the show are equally good. This show is highly under-rated.

3. C.P. says:

I felt confident this was going to happen, but it’s great news anyway! Season 3 was the show’s best yet and I look forward to seeing what season 4 can bring.

4. lechatnoir says:

Oh ma gaad .this is the first time that this show is mentioned here.im totally chuffed

5. flowerduh says:

I really love this show and I’m glad that it’s getting renewed! Gabrielle Union is a great actress and this show is a great vehicle for her! Too bad this show doesn’t get the recognition that it deserves like at least an Emmy nod or something! I guess this show is on the wrong network so that’s why it doesn’t get the recognition that it deserves.

6. Margo says:

Decided to catch up with BMJ last week…binged season 2 and season 3…it was a serious binge….and I have to say….Gabrielle Union and this show completely underrated! Love the work that my black ladies are doing (Taraji, Viola, Kerry, Regina, etc)….but someone give Gabrielle Union some serious props! She is certainly amazing on this show!

With MBA not there to run the show….I am also curious to see how things will be going forward…hope it just keeps getting better and better!

7. Skeewee3 says:

BMJ is art. Best of TV for millions every week. Excited about season 4. No place to go but up from season 3. GU, Lisa Vidal, et al just keep topping their performances.

8. Annette Shears says:

I absolutely love this show. The storyline is so real and the acting is phenomenal ! Thank God BET it’s returning. It gives me Life !!

9. Flo says:

Being Mary Jean, what a surprise ending. Staring Lorette Devine great 3 season LOVED IT , looking forward to season 4

10. C & H says:

Can’t wait for Season IV! BMJ, so Relevant, so Real! Lovin’ it! Thanks BET.

11. jacqueline says:

Truth is truth , reality hurt but true. Black people who don’t answer questions the way police feel they should do be attack. Than the officer blame the innocent person. We need to change all laws that make the innocent guilty. We as people should be able to quote our right when pull over by an officer.

12. jacqueline says:

Love the show looking forward to season 4. Yes I am waiting

13. Miss L says:

I love being Mary jane but I was highly offended about how they are painting Nigeria. I’ve stayed in Nigeria for 9 years now and Boko haram hasn’t killed me. Boko haram only affected the northern part of Nigeria not the whole thing. The script writers are making it seem as if it’s the whole Nigeria that is affected by Boko haram. Please they should get facts straight before making a scrip on someone’s country.

14. Alicia says:

This is reality it shows how much little is done in the society of today’s world.but trust me I love me some mj

15. Hunna says:

I love you Gabriel Union aka Mary Jane

16. Renee Rowe says:

I LOVE this show. My daughter and I are addicted. This show is powerful not only to your African American viewers but also to those of us who are white who have married African men and have biracial children. This show does such an awesome job of show casing struggles of the African American community. It shows the ugly truth of stereotypes and racism that exists in all walks of life and all communities. Bravo BET keep it coming. I watched the entire 3rd season in a day on Netflix.

17. Liz says:

What date will it be on netflix?