Most Popular TV Stories

TVLine Turns 5: Exclusive Look at Our 10 Most Popular Stories Ever

TVLine 5Apparently, you guys are really into death.

Kidding — but only sorta. Since TVLine’s 2011 launch, we’ve published roughly 25,445 stories. And, along the way, we’ve noticed that some topics — characters’ demises among them — generate more traffic than others. So, on the occasion of our fifth birthday, we’re counting down our 10 most popular articles ever.

Wanna take a guess what landed at No. 1?

Before you hit the comments with your answer (or cheat by checking out the list first), a coupla hints: 1. The Top 10 excludes ongoing features such as our Renewal and Sweeps Scorecards. (‘Cause, c’mon, what could beat those legacy franchises?!) 2. Besides guest appearances by the Grim Reaper, you’ve also historically been very interested in cancellations and revivals.

Scroll through the gallery below — or click here for direct access — and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Were you surprised by what landed at No. 1? How about the rest of the Top 10?

1. Erin says:

My guess is Lexie leaving Grey’s (I swear it was in the most commented section again this spring!) or maybe Gilmore Girls renewal.? Altho, my dark and twisty insides are thinking its Lexie.

2. Kim R says:

I’m surprised Will’s death didn’t make the list. That was so shocking and such a main character.

3. Goldenvibefan says:

I had a feeling it would be lexie’s death. It sucks cause she was my favorite character on the show, and when she died, I didn’t bother to continue watching it.

4. Daphne says:

How happy are you about FNL making the list?! ;)

5. Angela says:

Not even remotely surprised that the whole Ziva/”NCIS” thing would be in here :p. The fans of that show have certainly kept this site busy in recent years! On a similar note, I’m kind of surprised some recent “Castle” article from the last year and a half or so isn’t in here.

6. Kymberlie says:

I still miss Ziva :(

7. I must admit, the list (I couldn’t have guessed the #1) has me a little concerned. Although I know it’s not particularly scientific, it probably is indicative of trends in general. Which means “death of important people” stays high on the showrunner’s list of “things to do to generate buzz”. Personally, I kinda went blase on that after 24 kept killing off everyone (no, I’m never forgiving them for Edgar dammit). And I’m okay with the deaths if it truly serves the story. But shockvalue deaths piss me off.

Of course, pissed off people generate webhits… so …I have a bad feeling about this….

8. Pat says:

“Happy Birthday”, TVLine. Thank you all, for your hard work in giving me fantastic reads on most of my favorite TV shows. You have a fan forever with me.

9. abz says:

I too was actually expecting to see Will/Josh Charles’ exit from The Good Wife to be on the list. It was pretty major.

10. Ally Oop says:

I’m surprised Longmire’s cancellation didn’t make the list. I know that article got tons of hits too.

11. Nero tTVFiddler, Mr. Zero TV, Television Scout and the Silicon Valley gang says:

Happy 5th Birthday TVLine and Michael and team!

Great work these past years…keep up the good work and best wishes on the nest five years! By then, who knows, we may be seeing our television in a totally different light – Over The Top as first option, with cable and broadcast assuming new priorities.

In any case, let’s hope television, in whatever form it may take in the 2020s, continues to be entertaining, thought provoking and a valued and useful part of everyday life.