Yahoo Screen Shut Down

Yahoo Screen Shuts Down — the Final Nail In Community's Coffin?

The Greendale Gang is homeless.

Yahoo has quietly shut down its video hub, Yahoo Screen, which was home to live sporting events, Saturday Night Live clips and, most notably, Season 6 of Community. The news was first reported by Variety.

The move comes just months after Yahoo announced that it had suffered a $42 million loss on its ambitious originals initiative, led by the Community acquisition.

“At Yahoo, we’re constantly reviewing and iterating on our products as we strive to create the best user experience,” said a Yahoo rep Monday in a statement to Variety. “With that in mind, video content from Yahoo as well as our partners has been transitioned from Yahoo Screen to our Digital Magazine properties so users can discover complementary content in one place.”

Over the summer, Community creator Dan Harmon told TVLine that the franchise was much more likely to live on in theaters, thus fulfilling its #sixseasonsandamovie destiny. His plan: “We wait a little bit, let [the cast] explore their awesome careers, and then we get together for an incredible movie.”

Yahoo Screen launched in September 2013.

1. Joey Padron says:

Sad news Yahoo Screen is over. Thankful that they give Community another season.

2. Azerty says:

Thank you Yahoo for bringing back Community with that last season. The finale episode only was worth it.

3. matrix2k3 says:

If Yahoo Screen would’ve worked out the gate it might’ve done better. The video player was horrible. Buffing to the point where it was unwatchable. It was fixed later on but by then the damage was done

To be fair the only program I was interested in watching was Community. Even if I watched all the episodes without a problem I more then likely was done with that service

• David4 says:

Yeah, they could have had a new season of Game of Thrones and no one would / could watch. The player was horrible and never actually loaded the episodes. They would take me an hour to watch 20 minutes because I had to reload all the time.

4. Angela says:

I’ll echo the thanks to Yahoo Screen for giving “Community” another season. Sorry to hear they’re closing down.
    As for the show itself, yeah, I think at this point it’s best to just let the cast do whatever they’re already busy doing, and then work on hopefully getting the movie going someday down the line. I’ll certainly be on the lookout for anything that involves these people reuniting, though!

5. Jayemay says:

As much as I was glad to see Community get season 6, the best thing that Yahoo Screen ever brought us was Other Space. That was frickin brilliant.

6. R.O.B. says:

I was thankful Yahoo Screen gave us more Community but they could not have picked a worse provider. The interface for Yahoo Screen was terrible. And when you played stuff, you couldn’t even rewind it or start from where you left off. At least not on the Roku player I was using. Very frustrating when I had to watch an episode over just to get back to the 25 minute mark. Some of the content was not available on my Vizio Smart TV – such as Community. Just a very poorly thought out and implemented service all around.

7. Stacy says:

I didn’t have any problems with the Yahoo Screen service, but I did come to the game late. I watched after all the Community episodes had aired. Also, I used my AppleTV app, which also has a better Netflix interface than the website itself.

8. shutuprob says:

Time to update the Cable Renewal Scorecard with “Whole Frakkin’ Channel Cancelled” for Yahoo Screen.

9. TV Gord says:

From my perspective, they had problems from the start. They set up a Canadian page for Community so we could see the promo clips leading up to the season, but they never posted the actual Community episodes in Canada. There was some vague second-hand response someplace that the episodes would be posted a few weeks after the U.S., but it never happened.

I gave up on Yahoo! long ago, and I’ve been haunting Amazon to see when/if the sixth season will be released on DVD.

• Annie says:

I ended up just…watching them elsewhere. Hahaha. Wanted to do it legally and support the show, but Yahoo made it impossible fo Canadians to watch. I’m surprised that a Canadian network didn’t air the episodes – like with Mindy Project. Hulu is producing it now, but the show is still airing as usual on City

10. Ben says:

The movie can be crowdsourced, it is bound to happen.

11. Annie says:

Yahoo rather packed it in early. Takes time to build a network.
    Have no doubt we’ll get a Community movie one day. Troy and Levar Burton lost at sea and the Greendale gang has to go rescue them.

12. J.D. says:

Pierce has to return as the butt crack bandit!

13. Evan says: