Galavant Season 2 Recap

Galavant Season 2 Premiere Recap: The Enchanted Forest? A Mystical Sword??

ABC’s Galavant returned on Sunday night with “a real earworm” in his heart and a new mission at hand. Is the double-pumping midseason musical-comedy still hitting the right notes?

Whereas Season 1 opened with Galavant, Princess Isabella and Sid journeying to Valenica, where King Richard had made Madalena his queen, Season 2 follows the hero and deposed Richard as they leave behind their “smelly,” shipwrecked pirate pals to 1) save Isabella from imprisonment/arranged marriage to her 11-year-old cousin, Hortensia’s Prince Harry, and 2) reunite with at least Gareth — though the prospect of even that is soured by Richard’s discovery that his No. 1 has replaced him as Madalena’s king.

The premiere episode, titled “A New Season aka Suck It, Cancellation Bear,” opened with, no, not the “earworm” that is Galavant’s personal theme song, but a rousing, musical toast to a “new season” of “this year’s least expected big event,” one that “you’ll probably record.” With a nod to time slot competition old, new and perceived, the song invited you to “skip those football matches and globes made of gold,” to “screw all those apprentices and every bachelorette.”

We then get caught up on life in Valencia, where Gareth is grumbling about his title as The Guy Who Was With the Queen When She Killed the Other Guy Who Was Trying to Be King. With Sid’s help making sense of the kingdom’s charter, Gareth argues to be made king, and Madalena acquiesces — though she stops well short of allowing him to be announced first.

Galavant and Richard meanwhile find themselves in The Enchanted Forest, which is ruled by an evil queen — that is, a men-only pub lorded over by [dreamy sigh] pop star Kylie Minogue. When Galavant, that “beefcake Happy Meal,” proves to be a real rainmaker with Bear and the rest, the queen forces him and his traveling companion to stay put — though eventually Richard’s “Uncle” Keith helps the men escape.

The second half-hour Galavant Season 2 Previewrevolves around Galavant and Richard’s stop at a village, where they waited out the latter’s boot repair by visiting Edwin the Magnificent, a fortune-teller who happens to have handy a gizmo for communicating between realms. The good news? The amulet that Isabella apparently/allegedly almost always wears (but really, never has) acts as a receiver. The bad news? Back in days of old, the signal was scattershot at best, leading to a miscommunication in which Gal calls Izzie a “gross” “brown cow” and seemingly urges her to “marry Harry.”

Although Galavant believes his rescue mission to still be in play, the outlook for the star-crossed lovebirds ever improving on that “slightly yeasty,” “oddly musty” Awful First Kiss seems slight, with Isabella’s wedding approaching in a matter of weeks.

Madalena and Gareth meanwhile came to verbal/musical blows when the latter starts moving his “Dogs Jousting” painting and other personal belongings into the throne room, but one musical number later, they agree to disagree.

For Richard, things start to look up when a unicorn’s nagging about his purity of body gives him new resolve to be the leader he was meant to be. The fact that he has unwittingly laid claim to The Hero Sword (to be “drawn by the one true king”) seems to be but icing on the cake. The only wrinkle in his plan: his castle has gone missing, when he and Gal arrive at what should be its entrance!

Notable quotables, of many:
* “He was a tall drink of water and I will keep him forever in my spank bank.”
* Enchanted Forest regular Sir Jean Hamm’s boy toy was named Bobby. (Think about it, Mad Men fans….)
* “He’s going to make a wonderful husband, your cousin — once he stops peeing himself.”
* “One daughter! And then we leave the rest for the White Walkers.”
* “Dad said you went to The Enchanted Forest and never came out.” “The other way around, kid.”
* “You never handed me the [bleep]ing amulet!”
* “He called us friends!”
* “He makes you look like an ass… ass… ass… astronomical leader by comparison.”
* “Yowzers. Blunt.”

What did you think of Galavant‘s return?

1. Steven says:

I’ve been looking forward to this premier since the last one ended, and it was worth the wait. Richard and Galavant really do well together, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of them. Unsurprisingly, Isabella and Gareth were great together as well. I’m just sorry they didn’t actually visit the Enchanted Forest. It would have been nice to have them tie the series into Once Upon A Time, even peripherally.

2. jamey says:

Bravo! Too funny! This is what writing should be!

3. Kathy Tucker Cupp says:

Love this show!!! So inventive and the musical numbers are fantastic. Best comedy on that air. Thanks for Season Two

4. Jan Dumas says:

Totally enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I will be watching live all month

5. Shaun says:

Gonna enjoy these 5 weeks.Lots of really quick jokes.

6. Susan says:

We loved it!

7. ? says:

I don’t like people who don’t like this show.

8. DarkDefender says:

Should I be watching this? Sounds kind of fun by the recap.

9. Carla Krae says:

LMAO with the first hour. So glad to have this back.

10. Et al. says:

Absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so hard at the ‘other way around’ line I had to rewind.

11. Jenn says:

“You didn’t give me the f***ing amulet” made me crylaugh

12. Capt Bob says:

Pedal to the medal. Lyrics. Music and cast are at end of season top form.

Got scorned by emmies last year! Not this time around.

Carry on!

13. Gail says:

It was fun seeing the Earl of Grantham and Daisy break out in song. My favorite part was when Sid sang spoilers for the season in the Brady Bunch boxes and the others complained.

14. murley says:

I have been eagerly awaiting this show’s return and it lived up to my expectations completely. Every bit as witty, clever and entertaining as it was last year.

15. awkwardMEOW says:

WAAAAAAAAy better than season 1 (which was good). This was hilarious!

16. It’s nice to see that the show didn’t miss a beat. I watched Season 1 over the last month to get ready for Season 2, and the quality is exactly the same. I laughed from beginning to end.

That said, I will miss that theme song because to be honest, life should be set to that theme song.

17. robandco says:

Seriously the writing is so clever. And the music is amazing. Alan Menken is a genius!!
    The ratings are low but it’s funnier than most of today’s sitcom. The season is off to a great start.

But that CGI for Stamos was very 1995. At least Kylie Minogue appeared a few seconds later and saved/stole the scene.

18. h says:

Seems to me that Galavant qualifies as a cult show. Obviously, all the posters here are effusive with their praise. Yet, a rating of 0.9, which is lower than all the Fox shows last might? I find it hard to believe it will be renewed.

19. Don says:

Super show. Witty, Clever lines. I want to watch season 1 again to catch the innuendos I missed the first time. Also, PLEASE ABC, release this (both seasons) on DVD. I will buy to enjoy many times and show my friends. I have told dozens they should watch. Season 3?? One can only hope. . .

20. Velocisexual says:

Timothy Omundson is a god.

21. Tracy Edgar says:

Pure delight!

22. Dr. M says:

Anyone else feel cheated that the ‘Evil Queen’ wasn’t an Evil Drag Queen?

• Randy says:

I was expecting RuPaul as the queen.

also #BringBackGalavant – never too early to start

And put it on DVD please

23. Bill Byrne says:

Anyone know why on ABC.com all of Season 1 episodes are watchable, but say “Expires today”? Note: today is Jan. 5, 2016. I love this show & was reminded of how incredible it is during the season 2 premiere last night, but before I send something out to all my friends to watch it, starting with Season 1, I want to make sure Season 1 will still be available (& if it’s changing to a pay option like Hulu, I’d like to note that in my announcement).

• OA says:

Apparently it was only available until the new season started. And as far as i know it isn’t available anywhere else after that so I really have no clue why the people at ABC are working against this great show!

• Phil says:

Hulu has them until tonight. Online rights are prickly things, but it’s really odd to see studios shoot themselves in the foot like this. “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” should have been totally available for free everywhere over the holiday – but Hulu only has the last five episodes and OnDemand only had two.