Game of Thrones George R R Martin Delay Season 6

Game of Thrones: George R.R. Martin Says No New Novel Before Season 6

Game of Thrones fans are used to George R. R. Martin killing their favorite characters. Now he’s killing their hopes, as well.

The Winds of Winter is not finished,” the author wrote on his blog Saturday, confirming reports of his inability to deliver the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire series in time for readers to have it in hand when the HBO series returns in April.

“Believe me, it gave me no pleasure to type those words. You’re disappointed, and you’re not alone,” Martin wrote, adding that HBO is among those displeased with his delay.

Citing various causes — including a heavy travel schedule, advanced age and “bad days” of writing — he explained that the ultimate deadline for him to deliver a new manuscript to his publishers was the end of 2015; that way, the new novel could be released to the public by March.

“Here it is, the first of January. The book is not done, not delivered. No words can change that,” Martin wrote. “I tried, I promise you. I failed.”

He adds: “No one else is to blame. Not my editors and publishers, not HBO, not [Game of Thrones‘ showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss]. It’s on me.”

Martin said he has a large amount of the book written (recent work involves “revising a Theon chapter”) and that, given the pace of the HBO series, on-screen events may spoil the novels.

“Given where we are, inevitably, there will be certain plot twists and reveals in Season 6 of Game of Thrones that have not yet happened in the books,” he wrote. “For years, my readers have been ahead of the viewers. This year, for some things, the reverse will be true.”

And as far as when we can now expect The Winds of Winter?

“I am going back to my stance from last March, before all this,” the author wrote. “It will be done when it’s done. And it will be as good as I can possibly make it.”

1. Simon says:

Not surprising at all. I just hope the writers of the show know enough of the plot to do justice to the characters. I also hope there’s been no pressure from publishers / Martin for them to hold back and tread water in season six just in case this happened (so not to spoil the book)

• Pedro says:

They have to thread waters for a decade or so, because next year they’d have season 7 and it doesn’t look Martin with finish 6 and 7 within a year.

2. Mika says:

Lol he’s going to be dead before he finished these novels. Everyone needs to stop holding their breath.

• Ben says:

Yes, I think this is true.

I only hope he has actually figured out and recorded the rest of the plot, so if he does die at least everyone can know the ending.

• Patrick says:

Let me tell you a story, and see how much sounds familiar. When I was in HS, I discovered a great fantasy series called Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The first 5-6 books were AMAZING. He created a rich world with a ton of nuanced characters. Which was great at first….But. Beginning with book 7 he began to lose his way. Characters that were beloved early saw their personalities change. Side characters/plots were introduced, and frequently become front and center, while beloved characters/plots were barely addressed or moved forward. The Author (RJ) kept promising that he would soon wrap up the books, but each one moved further and further astray from the main thread. Then he got sick and died, which was very tragic. They brought in a new author to wrap up the series, and the fans were promised that there was a very substantial outline, from RJ, that wrapped up the series. All that was lacking was for that to be fleshed out to finish the series. What was supposed to be 1 book to finish the series morphed into 3 books and several years. With the last book being something of a disaster that left a bad taste in the mouths of some fans, or outright ruining the series for others (right here). Later, we found out that the “detailed outline” was little more than a (few?) notebook(s) that were little more than the freeflow ramblings of a pretty sick man. His wife, who was also his editor, was rumored to have heavily influenced the final books. Someone had to, because there was no clear path to the end.
        I’ve never read GOT or watched the show. I’m sure its excellent, but I’m waiting until the end, because I have played this game before, and it ended in tears. The author created a great world. But its so successful that there is no one to gainsay him and his “process.” No one will reign in what I have come to understand is a meandering plot with too many characters and no clear path. He keeps saying that the end is near, but there is no evidence of that. Fact is, Martin is probably lost in the narrative with no idea what happens next, other than in broad terms. As such, there can be no “plan” for if he should happened to expire before finishing the series. I’m afraid this will end badly for its fans.

• Ben says:

That’s what I expect happened. But, this is the man who was happy to criticise others (like Lost) for their storytelling approach, and I hope that means he isn’t a hypocrite.

• mike says:

Feel somewhat the same re: WOT. I don’t hate the last book at all It ties things up nicely enough. Could have been better sure, but what can’t these days?

As to GOT it was inevitable. Georgie needs to settle down, lock himself away and get it done. I’ll still by the book digitally as a show can never, ever have the same level of detail. Or Maise for that matter. Or Danny.

3. Et al. says:

Thanks Olive Garden. You just had to run your never-ending pasta bowl promotion during this critical time.

4. Ws says:

He really should have cut back on that “heavy travel schedule” and got down to writing..

5. ghostface says:

ajghaljkghs;ouidfhnas;bfa;sub ai;jfas i hate him..

6. Sam says:

I decided to watch the show instead of reading the novels, so this has no effect on me. At least now the fans of his (in my opinion) over-wrought prose can’t spoil things for me anymore.

7. Wouter says:

Honestly I don’t get the fans outrage about this news at all. He doesn’t owe you guys anything.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Thank you. I understand being frustrated, but let the man write at the pace he feels comfortable with.

• David P. Graf says:

People who read his series have already made a commitment not only in terms of time but the money they spent on the books. It goes without saying that an author also has a commitment to his/her readers to finish the series. Otherwise, the author has just taken the readers for a ride. Plus, this isn’t the first time that he’s done this.

• Oh come on. As if buying his already published books (which can be re-read ad nauseam by the way, no extra charge!) entitles anybody to decide the date of his future publications. He’s not a politician who’s not keeping his campaign promises – he’s a freaking writer, and as such he needs not only time, but also muse to do his work.

• Murica! says:

Woutertje, people like you are hilarious. He owes us everything! If we hadn’t bought his books, he would have nothing.

• CK says:

No. He still doesn’t owe you anything. You paid for a good. You received that good. Your transaction with him is done. Now if you’ve given him money for his next product already, then you can complain about being owed something. You got what you paid for and you’re not entitled to anything extra.

• Murica! says:

Yes. He owes all the book readers. He owes us everything. You owe me for waisting my time. Grow up naive little boy.

• Murica! says:

Good luck surviving in the real world. Basement dweller.

• CK says:

Good luck to you too, Murica. It’s going to be hard making it in the real world with such an entitlement complex. I can’t wait until the book comes out so you can pay some money and get the service you paid for like any sensible consumer. Or maybe the bookstore will give it to you for free. You are “owed” it, right?

• RJ says:

Can you believe this Murica–talk about pot calling kettle black…like a novelist owes a fangirl or boy…what a naïve basement dweller.

• rinaex says:

Thank you. Everyone who bought a book has already gotten what they paid for, period. GRRM is not responsible for your emotional investment, as harsh as that is.

• A fan of TV says:

Paying for a good with the promise of more, though, there is room for indignation when a deadline gets missed over and over. It’s not the end of the world of course, but its not like its a secret that the gaps between the books are attributable to his new fame, and how everyone wants a piece of George RR Martin. He could absolutely say no to a few things and try to get it done. Unfortunately, it looks like Martin’s new and exciting money-making life is blocking his creativity as well, and an unfinished book series is not worth the price of the individual books, without the book to wrap up the story.
          (I do not even read the series, but I am not among those who is ignorant of the fact that the ‘goods’ being purchased are incomplete.)

8. Me says:

Damn it!!!

9. Mak says:

This is utter BS…oh well hope the show has enough material to go by

10. Joey says:

Please please please don’t kill off my poor bby Theon.

11. Jen says:

I find it hilarious that anyone is surprised by this! He takes his time for sure, but we are heading into the twilight folks. As big as the series is, why would he “spoil” it?! We will never know the end before the TV viewers do. Deal with it. As a reader who LOVE the tv series, I saw this coming a mile away.

• rinaex says:

You hit the nail on the head. Certain book readers have reveled in knowing what was going to happen before the pure TV watchers, and now they don’t have that.

12. Jane says:

So in other words he is going to let the HBO writers fix what has become a rambling mess and then rip them off. Sounds like him. Always ready to take the glory but too lazy to do the work.

• Joey says:

If you, at this point in the show, honestly think that Benioff and Weiss are capable of fixing anything, you’re in for a rude awakening.

13. Stanislava says:

He shouldn’t be pushed around so much by deadlines. For many, the books are an entirely different thing to the TV series, and if it takes a few months longer then let it. These books will be around for generations, and in fifty years when we look back we won’t moan about the extra three months it took to write, but we would moan if it reaches an unsatisfactory conclusion.
    Also,is nobody thinking about the producers who filmed a series knowing that no ending was yet in sight? I’d call that a little more worrying than Mr Martin taking his own time on a series that he wants to get finished on his own terms.

• Patrick says:

They’ve seen too many series have an unsatisfying ending, which makes them unfilmable (see my earlier post about WOT, which is now a worthless property). “Shorter” stories, like LOTR or Harry Potter, finished well enough. But some of these properties just peter out because the author has no idea where he’s going, and the books become successful enough that he’s able to dictate terms to his publishers and editors. GOT made a ton of money by striking while the iron was hot. Methinks they might have done so BECAUSE of Martin’s “process.” Its my understanding, from the superfans, that the books have declined in quality from the early works. Perhaps the producers wanted to make the show while it still retained high quality/reputation, knowing they would soon surpass the books and could take his outline and flesh it out quickly.

14. In the dark times, a light hearted beer review of Game of Thrones 3-eye’d Raven.. and some questions about Bran..

15. Drew says:

I’m going to have to say that while he is incredibly unprofessional and probably has no plan to ever finish this series (he will be dead before it is finished), the fault here rests on the shoulders of HBO. It was stupid of them to produce a TV series based on an incomplete story. The writers have had clear outlines to work from up to this point, but now they have to make up the scenes and the dialog themselves. The scenes will come from a different writer and a different point of view, so the best that anyone can hope for is that the writers can mimic the voices of the characters well enough by this point.
    Regardless, the show is ahead of the books. The books can change. What was a loyal adaptation will now become fanfic. The whole thing is a mess.
    Why did HBO produce this series, rather than a the countless other completed stories which are more or less the same anyway?

16. carrabus says:

I’m going to wait for the book — I’m a season behind on the show anyway, so I’m just going to wait. George, your work is worth waiting for!