Walking Dead Midseason Teaser Trailer: The Negan Era Begins

We had been sure that AMC’s The Walking Dead had started Season 6 just about as intense as it could possibly get.

But then we got a gander at the midseason premiere trailer heralding Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s arrival as the merciless Negan.

And now we know: We were wrong. Apparently, the second half of the season (kicking off Sunday, Feb. 14) is going to be even more extreme than the first.

But don’t take our word for it. Press play above, take a peek and then hit the comments with your predictions for Negan’s first casualty.

1. Miss Ellys says:

I wonder who Maggie is screaming for….gulp.

2. Paul says:

I finally quit watching about 4 episodes ago. Those isolated episodes (focusing on just one or two people at a time) really did me in big time.

• The Carpooler says:

so then why comment?

• Seriously you have nothing better to do with your time? says:

So why click on the article?

• Whatevah says:

It bugs me too, but I’m still watching. I think it’s AMC’s way of saving money which is soooo irritating.

• flower_petals says:

I think it’s because the production of the shows are so big (zombies, makeup, sets) that they need to take a break every now and then. They can’t do it every week. It would be too much work and money. I don’t mind the slower character driven eps every now and then.

• Brigid says:

I think it’s because this show is about people and character development and good writing precipitates those beautifully written stand alone character driven episodes. That is why I am a huge fan of television and don’t watch movies. I love getting to know these characters and learning to care about them and all their goodness and faults, you can’t get that in a 2 hour movie. In my opinion, TV is the only medium that can tell a truly mind blowing story.

• Jack says:

If you really had an issue with episodes that only focused on a few people, you would have left during season 4. It was done then first.

• zac says:

i tend to skim through those episodes and come here to read what happened. Also sorry for the bitchy commenters. I see them a lot on TVLIne these days.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Those episodes were actually really well done, but like most of America you’re impatient, so you didn’t like them. Which is kind of sad by the way.

• Brandydoll says:

Big mistake. It really showed us alot into the soul of each and why they are who they are. Jump back in bro.

3. Jason. P says:

Hope it’s more exciting than the Gov era.

• The actor playing the character is PERFECT for the role. I hate to be excited about his arrival considering the things that could happen(if they are somewhat faithful to the books), but JDM is going to blow everyone away with his portrayal.

• Kristen says:

I was just telling someone this the other day. If I were one of the few giving up on this series, I would watch solely for JDM being there. I find him to be that good of an actor, and when you add such a perfectly fitting role, it’s going to make for good television.

4. Ed says:

I am looking forward to the 2nd half of the season to start up. February seems so far away.

5. Joey Padron says:

Can’t wait for new episodes in February!

6. Kutaba says:

I hate to say it. But I think the Walking Dead jumped the shark faking out Glens “death” at the dumpster. Dragging it out for several episodes to only have him survive stretched credibilty with the fan base. No unseen death will be taken seriously again.

• A fan of TV says:

I feel like unseen deaths should never be taken seriously on any show, though, least of all TWD.

• Tea says:

You think that’s jumping the shark? Like actually? Nah.

• Wasabi says:

If Glenn had been rescued by an alien, or by Maggie traveling back in time, that would be jumping the shark.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Only half wits and the extremely gullible actually believed Glenn was dead in that scene. It was clear just by the editing done that he didn’t die, It was the anxiety of just waiting for them to confirm it or not that had most of us so on edge. Like someone said above, unless you see the person dead, there’s likely some kind of twist to it. TWD and GoT are notorious are that. Which makes them great in ways.

7. Brian says:

Please let this Negan arc be good.

8. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Can’t wait for the second half!!!! Why can’t the show be back on next week sh*t! I have a bad feeling Maggie might end up losing her baby…..I HOPE that stupid little boy dies who the hell cries out MOM around a bunch of walkers!

*Plus was Maggie really pregnant in the comics besides Lori?

9. In the comics, Negan’s first victim (from the core group) was someone we all like, though the show has freely changed the story line, and Kirkman has said that he regrets the death of Negan’s first victim. Nonetheless, it seems possible that Glen’s fake death might have been intended to lull us to sleep with the notion that Glen is safe after all. He isn’t, and the widely decried fake death might just be the set-up. Negan’s first kill from the core group will let everyone know just how dangerous and psychotic he is. It will be interesting to see how much the Negan story line is changed from the comics, and whether it will proceed into all out war. If the Negan story line is wrapped up too quickly, then the show will come a lot closer to catching up with the comics. For the most part, the TV re-write has maintained suspense even for the comics readers, and has often improved on the stories and characterizations that Kirkman has rushed out every month (or twice monthly) in not only this comic, but the others which Kirkman has either personally written or controlled. For my part, I wish that I was not surrounded by so many zombie haters, who do not understand that the walkers are the McGuffin, to use Hitchcock’s memorable analytical term.

• Jess says:

if it turned out to be Glenn dying then that would be a shame because he has been in it near enough the start and travelled with rick and his group and helped from he start. so I think it would be quite sad if Negan kills Glenn first, or maybe Glenn is the one to kill Negan….

10. maregolden says:

My cable company is in a fight with AMC over a rate increase, and I am losing the channel today. Hope they can work it out before February. Walking Dead is not on netflix or hulu.

11. Spence says:

Watching the teaser closely, you can see that Maggie is screaming from her perch where she ended up in the finale. She’s not screaming because Negan has killed Glenn, or else that means she’s been stuck on that perch for 8 episodes. No, I’m sure someone down below (maybe Denise being taken by the Wolf, or Jessie and her spawn) is being eaten by the walkers that broke in from the finale. It’s apparent that it’s night time when she is screaming, and she’s on the perch still, and the finale ended with it being dusk, meaning it’s not much of a stretch to think that clip comes from the premiere, unrelated to Negan. About who Negan kills, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Maggie will be at the receiving end of Lucille!!

12. Phoenix5634 says:

So who thinks what happens to Carl in the comics in about to happen? They’re sure hinting at it, but that might be intended to trick those of us who have read the comics.

• Jess says:

I think Ron shoots at Carl and his eye has to be removed. Now I don’t know whether this is true but i’ve seen spoilers and heard about the comics. I think their fight will get out of hand, maybe? you never know until Febuary 14th…

13. BritMike says:

Its a great show but I think they could film more episodes so we don’t have these ridiculous waits! Soap have 2-3 episodes a week so we could have one episode EVERY Sunday :( They don’t need to stick to the comic storyline and they could expand on stories, not “oh we’ve been at the prison for a few weeks and now something happens to make us move on!” Best show in America by far though but then they don’t have much competition :(

• Brigid says:

They do these long breaks on purpose, to get through the holiday season when Americans are celebrating and not really watching much TV. America has numerous amazingly well written shows, so there is much competition :)

14. derek slaven says:

She definitely yelling Glenn..