TV Resolutions New Year 2016

TVLine's Resolutions for 2016: A Date With The Wire, Gilmore and Chill, Adios Izzie and More Hopes for the New Year

The dawning of a new year holds the possibility of such promise. Just think: In the next 12 months, you can lose weight, get organized and finally finish that novel you’ve been working on!

Or… you can make like the TVLine staff, hunker down in front of the TV and get cracking on achieving some all-important, TV-centric resolutions for 2016.

And that’s really more pressing, isn’t it?

In the gallery below, we humbly offer our hopes for the coming year. As you’ll see, these intentions involve breaking up with shows we no longer love (cough Hannah Horvath cough), reconnecting with series we miss (Everwood is everlasting!) and finally watching an iconic drama or two we’re ashamed to admit we haven’t seen.

And yes, we’re aware of the irony that a bunch of our goals involve finding time to watch TV… when that’s literally part of our job. But when there are 409 scripted shows out there and just 24 hours in a day, something’s gotta give!

Click through the gallery below — or access it directly here — to see what we’ll be doing come Jan. 1. And when you’re done, make sure to drop your TV-related resolution in the comments below!

1. N says:

No Izzie?????????

• Patrick says:

That is the only reason I’d tune back in to see GA, and its never going to happen. Shonda ha enough pull at ABC to never have to do it. If the numbers had really tanked post-McDreamy, maybe. They didn’t. So she’ll never be back. I anticipate an off screen wrap-up soon. I suspect it may involve her having carried one of those fertilized eggs to term, started raising the kid, and then died somehow. The kid, a girl who idolized and closely resembles, Izzy, will throw a huge spanner in Alex’s current relationships.

• Izzie Duquette says:

Wow, I would LOVE for that to happen. If we can’t get Izzie back (which we can’t, let’s be realistic), this is the next best thing. Seriously.

2. You are not alone in never having seen a Gilmore Girls… my bad, I guess.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

My resolutions: hope The Price is Right (CBS) will end next season, Homeland Season 6 plans for another reboot and life without Peter Quinn and to find out whether Jon Snow “survives” in the upcoming season of GoT.

4. I’m also going to rewatch Everwood this year. Finish Jessica Jones and Bloodline. Finally watch Breaking Bad and binge watch The Walking Dead. Also this will finally be the year I get my friends to watch The Americans.

5. Carm says:

I have not managed to finish watching season 3 of House of Cards (stopped at episode 3). I hope the desire to see it comes back one day. But maybe it won’t.

6. Elf says:

Matt, don’t worry, the time will come soon enough that your kids will be old enough to want to binge-watch things with you, like my son and I did with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Granted, it works best over the summer or during those school breaks that always feel much longer than they should be…

7. Kate Blake says:

I worked my way through all 5 seasons of the Wire last month- and it was well worth it. I will never hear the Cheese Stands Alone again and not think of Omar…..and yeah- getting a big dose of two seasons of Idris Elba is so worth it…..

8. spindae2 says:

Michael never give up on #weWantIzzieToComebacKShonda
    Matt I’m shocked U’ve never watched an episode of GG.

9. maregolden says:

It will be weird to see the Girls hanging around with Kylo Ren.

10. Angela says:

I’ve never seen “Gilmore Girls” or “The Wire”, either (and since I know some people were talking about the ludicrousness of such a thing in another comment section some time back, yes, there are still people who’ve never seen “Buffy”. I’m one of them). There’s a lot, and I mean, A LOT, of shows I’ve yet to catch up on, old and new. So I guess that would be my big New Year’s resolution, to try and start in on some of those.
    Also, I’m not a huge binge-watcher, either. For one thing, I don’t have Netflix, and money’s a bit tight right now, so I can’t subscribe to Hulu Plus or things like that at the moment. So that takes some of the opportunities to binge-watch out of my hands right there.
    For another, I don’t mind binge-watching a series that has long ago wrapped up its run. But when it comes to currently running series, I much prefer to watch each new episode as it airs, and watch it live if and when I can at that. Old-school habits :p.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

The Wire is good. But the latter seasons got too dark for me. I just wish someone would paint Baltimore in a positive light once in a while.

Gilmore Girls is worth watching, too. See if someone can get you on their streaming account. You can have multiple usernames on one account.

• brandi says:

Buffy and Gilmore Girls are totally worth it. I’d throw some Veronica Mars in there too.

Another way to watch is check you library. I watched many a show on checked out DVD’s before Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu came around. I think I watched all 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica that way.

11. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I cannot resolve not to throw a temper tantrum if all the Gilmore Girls people don’t come back for the reunion.

• Patrick says:

They won’t. Some of the leads “SUPPOSEDLY” didn’t care for each other. As such, it might take real money to get them back on set. Further, I think there were some ruffled feathers about the announcement of this revival, and the form it would take, before cast discussions even started.
      To me, it reeked of ASP attempting to shift blame to the actors should they not re-up. And rest assured that the actors are getting low-balled by the website putting this on (they have a horrible rep amongst the entertainment unions). ASP is getting hers, and she’s doing so because she would be lucky to get unpaid intern work outside of this right now. The plan was obviously to make any failure seem to be the fault of the actor(s) for not signing on the dotted line. That way, they could be offered peanuts. Well, how this should work is that ASP get minimum wage (with no profits, or benefits) while the actors should get paid.
      I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed in this. I won’t, because I don’t intend to watch it. I lost interest during the end of ASP’s run, and bailed completely after she wrote the show into a horrible corner on her way out the door. At the time, I hoped bad things would happen to ASP’s career, and I am thankful that those wishes were rewarded.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Where are you getting this information? Seems like you have a lot of hostility toward Amy Sherman Palladino.

12. Tony says:

I thought I was the only one who used CC to let their spouse and/or kid(s) sleep, only to now use it as a crutch to do multi screen. Glad I’m not alone in this.

Also, I’ve maybe only seen 15 minutes total of Gilmore Girls and I’ve never seen a second of The Wire (though it has long been on my to watch list)

To comment on another poster’s post, I agree in that there is nothing like watching an excellent show live. I think besides not having to wait, I love experiencing that immediate visceral reaction from fellow viewers shortly after. I do have Netflix and Hulu and I binge on a lot of older shows or shows I don’t have an immediate interest in. But there was nothing like watching shows like Buffalo, Lost or Breaking Bad live.

13. Mik says:

I wish it was me who hadn’t watched The Wire yet, and had five seasons of glory to look forward to. Thank you for a great year of TV news once again, Team TVL.

14. EM says:

Congratulations Michael on kicking your years long addiction to getting Izzie back. Now if only you could admit that Grey’s is even better this season and give credit where credit is due. Ugh..one step at a time. Matt I have never seen a single episode of Gilmore Girls. You are not alone. My 2016 hope for your site is that you don’t report on politics. Not your forte.

15. MzTeaze says:

Thank you for saying no to asking about Izzie. She’s gone for a good reason. That bridge was burned down the day after she left. By the actor, no less.

16. Mak says:

My 2016 TV resolution is to finally start watching Empire as I maybe the only one of the planet who does not watch it. I have no doubt that it’s a great watch.
    My other resolution is to curb my bad habit of dropping shows that launch better spin off shows. I dropped Arrow when I saw how incredible The Flash was, I also dropped TVD for The Originals and now I’m afraid I may lose interest in The Flash if Legends of Tomorrow proves to be more Superior than the other two.

• Mak says:

**My 2016 TV resolution is to finally start watching Empire as I maybe the only person on the planet who does not watch it. I have no doubt that it’s a great watch

17. Hedy S. says:

I can’t believe that ANYONE watched Girls. It is so filthy and disgusting, I felt like I needed scoured after watching two episodes. And those “girls” are the biggest losers I’ve ever seen. Yuck.

18. Marci says:

Matt: I can’t believe there are people on this planet who’ve never watched Gilmore Girls. I’ve watched every episode at least once, even that super sucky Season 7. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to watch the Netflix reboot, since I don’t dare subscribe to any of the streaming services. I can barely keep up with all of my broadcast and cable shows. If I subscribed to any of the streaming services, I’d never be able to leave my apartment.

19. Joey Padron says:

Happy New Year to all of the staff of TVline! Excited for big TV news and reports you guys will have in 2016!

20. Shannon says:

I habitually keep my tv on mute to not disturb my parents while they sleep…and to multi-screen.

21. Jason says:

I wish for a Cary Argos “gay” storyline as well!! He’s being wasted this season by being in the background!

• Anna says:

Yeah, I’m kinda sad that this is not gonna happen as well. Would finally give Cary something (or someone) to do! He needs some screentime.

22. Lindsay says:

I have been wanting to rewatch Everwood as well, and am irritated that I can’t stream it anywhere!

23. Schu says:

Ah Rebecca you really must! I discovered it after season 4 and binged it in a couple weeks, the beginning seasons are a wonder! I had no idea how well it was (/used to be) written!

24. The Carpooler says:

Amen for not using CC. My bride does that all the time. I find myself reading vs watching and miss the action.

25. Lauren says:

Ok good, I’m not the only who’s six episodes behind on Fargo. It disappears from On Demand Jan. 19. I will get to it, I swear!

26. JC1 says:

Mine is to finally finish that Veronica Mars rewatch I started ages ago. I wanted to rewatch the show before watching the movie. Seasons one and two were no problem, but I got to season three and suddenly ran out of motivation. :( And I still haven’t seen the movie!
    A related resolution – to finish shows I’m watching/rewatching on Netflix/Prime. I’ve got at least a dozen shows in my watch lists that have been started but never finished. :(

27. Anna says:

Ugh. Izzy? I’m so glad Izzy is never coming back. I’m rewatching early seasons, and it reminds me why I hated her so much. I never got over how she treated Callie. That was unforgivable. The cancer storyline made me finally sympathize with her a little, but I’m glad she’s never coming back.

28. David4 says:

Someone here has never seen Gilmore Girls?!?!

I’m amazed you could have passed the background check for employment.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Honestly, I didn’t see Gilmore Girls (or my favorite show of all time, The West Wing) until they were available for streaming a few years ago. I guess I was too busy doing my homework in high school to watch much television.

29. Ally Oop says:

I confess to still not having seen the last seasons of Orange is the New Black, Bloodline or The 100 and am only now watching the past season of Longmire. Netflix is such a big rabbit hole to go down and with so much to catch up on DVR I must admit I don’t have the time for all these shows I want to watch. I just reluctantly deleted the rest of the episodes of Killjoys and Jane the Virgin from my Dvr unwatched because I had to admit defeat. I can’t watch everything I want to watch.

30. E Rodgers says:

(1) You haven’t watched THE WIRE yet? You need to get on it immediately! This show redefines what TV can be.
    (2) Izzie was obnoxious. Good on you to let sleeping dogs lie.
    (3) Thank you for acknowledging the unfairly forgotten American Idol talents. Alexis Grace was one of my favs, too.