Winter TV Preview Best Shows

O.J.'s Crime Story, DC's Legends, Shadowhunters, 11.22.63 and 16 Other New Shows to Get Excited About

After debuting dozens of shows this fall (for better or for worse), TV’s overlords are set to unleash another batch of fresh fare — featuring a real devil, one guardian angel, warrior Shadowhunters and a very sad clown — in early 2016.

TVLine’s staff steadfastly sifted through midseason screeners to single out the most promising newcomers, from the already buzzy (such as DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) to the sleeper surprises (ABC’s Family will intrigue you, while The People v. O.J. Simpson could very well be guilty… of collecting Emmy nods).

And because we couldn’t idle our anticipation, we found our enthusiasm for the yet-to-be-scheduled Containment to be infectious, while one unquestionable question mark (Shondaland’s The Catch) nonetheless has caught our attention.

Review the slideshow below (click here for direct access) to meet your possible new obsessions and then tell us in Comments what you’re primed to watch.

1. Erin says:

I’m excited for American Crime Story, Idiotsitter, The Family and The Path!

2. zac says:

I just recently watched the trailer for American Crime and I was really surprised at how good it looks. The performances and storyline. Just wow. Also, I am looking forward to Shadowhunters, The Family(really good premise) and The Catch (wouldve loved to see Haley James Scott be a villain!) and weirdly enough, I have high hopes for Shades of Blue. I am also enjoying Superstore(so charming) and Telenovela (ep 1 & 2 was not good but episode 3 made me want to stay and watch).

3. JosiahBartlet4President says:

In the past, I haven’t been wild about James Franco. Yet 11.22.63 looks really intriguing.
    Billions also looks good (we shall see if the cursing is somehow necessary).
    Regarding The Catch, is twisty a real word? Or is it like melty?
    The Family is straight out of a L&O: SVU episode.

• cuius says:

May have become immune to “cursing”, but having watched the pilot wasn’t aware of an excess. looking forward to further episodes

4. jerrired says:

I’m also looking forward to seeing The Family, Containment, The Shannara Chronicles, Legends of Tomorrow, and I might watch American Crime. The second season premise sounds really interesting and I heard really good things about season 1. I would also add Recovery Road. The first three episodoes that were released on Hulu made me want to see more of it.

5. J says:

I’m personally looking forward to all The CW midseason shows(Containment..Legends of Tomorrow) and ABC’s The Family. I also might check out Syfys The Magician even though this is the first time I’m even hearing about this show.

6. Lizz says:

Jennifer Lopez deserved an Oscar buzz for her performance in Out of Sight? HA! You so funny.

• johnhelvete says:

Lopez is terrific in that film, and has great chemistry with George Clooney. I think if 10 films were nominated back in 1998 when Out of Sight came out, that film would have been nominated for Best Picture. I think you are looking at the Lopez of today and the bad films she has done in the last 15 years but she did have several good performances in the late 90’s.

• Patrick says:

If that film had come out 3 years later, when both leads were arguably the most famous celebs in the English speaking world, that film would have made a fortune and no one else would have bothered to campaign for the Oscars. If it had been made 5 years later, no one could have afforded both of them in the same film.

• Simon Jester says:

She was great in Out of Sight. She hasn’t given a decent performance since, but that film’s a winner.

7. spindae2 says:

I’m going to watch like 10 shows from that list. Can’t wait.
    American Crime premiere was beyond amazing. Lily Taylor screams Amazing (emmy nod)

I only don’t unserstand why is Lucifer there. Such a terrible Pilot and I’m saying this even though I like the male lead and have major hots for the female lead. I barely finished the episode.

8. johnhelvete says:

The Magicians- Really liked the first episode, SyFy is on a roll with 12 Monkeys and The Expanse and now this if the quality of the show is close to the pilot. And you are correct about the villain, that final scene is jaw dropping.
    Colony- the pilot sets up several intriguing story lines, well made family drama with a SyFy backdrop.
    Recovery Road-first three episodes are very good and Jessica Sula very good in the lead role.
    Looking forward to The Family (the only network show that I have been really looking forward to), Billions and 11/22/63.

9. Sarah9 says:

Definitely watching: Legends of Tomorrow, Shadowhunters, Lucifer, Containment.

Might check out: The catch, American Crime, Shades of Blue.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

So excited about LoT. Better skip Angel From Hell ’cause it’s downright horrible. Bummed they left out Game of Silence (NBC) but I can’t wait to watch it.

11. Kate says:

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday….geez. I already took a glance at next week and I already have to move the Expanse to a recording at 2 in the morning. I hadn’t really even thought about the issues at 10, I was so concerned about nine o’clock (hey, MTV, are you going to always run Teen Wolf at like 2 in the morning, you’d make my life simpler then). I randomly just watched Pitch Perfect on ABC Family last night and was intrigued by Shadowhunters, but there is really nothing I can do about it right now (I’m more a fan of the Clockwork portion of this series and yes, I know that Jace is likely the descendant of those characters and that its more likely those characters, well, two of them, will pop up in a tv series than in a movie). But I also seem to be developing an issue at 10 on Thursdays. I always recorded HTGAWM, and there was something else on, so, I think I’m fine. I’m thinking I need to either upgrade my DVR or really contemplate a HULU subscription.

12. kirads09 says:

Colony – already viewed pilot. Very very solid.
    Shades of Blue (are they playing with words re Liotta’s incredible beautiful peepers?)
    11/22/63
    Shannara
    Criminal Minds Beyond Borders – if for no other reason than Gary Sinise

RE: American Crime Story OJ – Dear God, it was awful enough IRL when it happened and was top story in the news for months on end. Have ZERO desire to relive it in any way. Ditto: The Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas thing.

None of the others mentioned spark my interest.

13. JC1 says:

I’m very excited about Legends of Tomorrow – I so hope it does well!
    I’m also thinking about checking out the Criminal Minds spinoff, even though I’ve never watched the parent show. I liked Gary Sinise in CSI: NY, and adding Alana de la Garza to the cast really caught my attention (what can I say? I miss Forever).

14. Jeff hunter says:

I’ll check out Legends of Tomorrow and Lucifer….I wouldn’t be a Comic book Fanboy if I didn’t!jeff

15. Sara says:

I am perhaps most looking forward to a show that wasn’t mentioned here: London Spy on BBCAmerica. It looks quite intriguing.
    Of the shows listed here, I am most looking forward to Shadowhunters and The Shannara Chronicles. Criminals Minds: Beyond Borders and Legends of Tomorrow are also on my “to watch” list.

16. Shaun says:

Already seen the pilots for Lucifer,Colony and Magicians.Lucifer and Colony are decent,think Magicians will be the best of the bunch.

17. Andie says:

Im excited about Lucifer, LoT and about 2 shows not included here Game of Silence and Emerald City.

• Letti says:

I’ve read that NBC moved Emerald City to next fall. So unfortunately we have to wait more, but at least they have more time to make it decent.

18. Lyn says:

Yes to:
    Angel From Hell [love Lynch]
    Shades of Blue [JLO]
    The Family
    Crim Minds Beyond
    No to Billions, Love Giamatti, can’t stand D. Lewis

19. George says:

That final scene in the Magicians pilot hooked me. Was something I’ve never seen on basic cable before. Was awesome. Overall, the pilot was great.

20. Gaara says:

From this list, the only one i’m excited about is the Shannara Chronicles. Please be good please be good please be good!

21. Bwhit says:

Legends of Tomorrow and Billions are the two that I’m looking forward to the most. I will probably check out, Containment because the trailer looks interesting, and Lucifer because of Lauren German.

22. Courtney says:

Lots to look forward to!

– Superstore is fantastic. It usually takes a bit for me to really love a sitcom, but I loved it from the first episode. I have laughed out loud during all of the episodes.
    – Billions looks fantastic, with a great cast.
    – The Catch and The Family look great too! ABC still is my favorite broadcast network.
    – The Path looks great, along with 11.23.63 looks great as well.
    – American Crime Story’s trailer is awesome, very much looking forward to that.
    – American Crime looks pretty good too, though I didn’t watch S1.
    – Vinyl isn’t on the list but it looks incredible to me!

23. Joey Padron says:

I’m excited for Legends of Tomorrow, Lucifer, The Path, Cooper Berendint, and Containment. Will check out Shades of Blue and Colony.

24. Letti says:

I will surely watch Legends of Tomorrow, and The Shannara Chronicles. I will probably also check out The Magicians and 11.22.63. Maybe list: Shadowhunters, Lucifer.

25. J.Norman says:

Angel from Hell looks interesting , if only because of the presence of Maggie Lawson and Jane Lynch.
    I do understand, though, that some reviews of it have not been particularly good, and postponing it to mid season may not be a good sign.
    I will, definitely give it a look.

26. J.Norman says:

Lucifer sounds like it might be fun / good. Depends , will have to see.

Shadowchasers sounds dangerously close to a Buffy ripoff.

27. Timmah says:

I was excited about Colony until I saw that it starred Callies, the most annoying actress in the history of television. Hopefully they kill off her character quickly.

28. liame says:

American Crime, Lucifer, The Containment, Recovery Road (saw 1st 3 epi’s on demand) good show The Catch and LOT.

29. misery chick says:

💕💕💕💕💕💕 MY LOVE TIMOTHY HUTTON WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK IN ‘AMERICAN CRIME!💕 💕 💕 💕 💕 💕

30. anonymous says:

Recovery Road looks really interesting and intense I watch a lot of ABC Family so I have seen a lot of the promos for it and it intrigued me and then I learned that the first 3 episodes are on demand so I checked them out and like I said before it’s really intense. All the actors are phenomenal and the storylines hit close to home for a lot of teens these days and can really educate them on the dangers of drugs and alcohol far better than what they would learn in school and it’s still entertaining without losing their focus. I loved it and can’t wait until it premieres! As for shadowhunters i’d say if you love or even like the movie you will probably like this too just because of the connection between the two. If you were of those people that loved the books but hated the movie then you either will like or hate it. I don’t read the books but I saw the movie and love it. I was kinda hoping that the same actors would be in the series but they completely changed it and from what I’ve read it’ll be a lot different from the movie as well so I’m not interested in it.

31. KCG19 says:

Incapable of reading any of the text as partially obscured by ads. They get worse every time I come here.

32. I really wish they would hurry up and announce the start date for Containment, I am really looking forward to it.