TVLine Wish List

Team TVLine Shares Its 2016 Wish List for Castle, Penny Dreadful, Good Wife, Once, Sleepy, Teen Wolf and More

The holiday season is fully upon us, and Team TVLine has crafted a gift wish list that’s full of sex, revivals and crossovers and addressed to the TV Powers That Be.

Our small-screen desires for 2016 include a steamy Good Wife hook-up, a Deadwood return and one series’ overdue finale (because sometimes, a show just needs to be put out to pasture).

We’re also praying to the TV gods for Once Upon a Time to stay home, a beloved Veronica Mars star to find a new series and Teen Wolf to make some sense. Plus: Which TV trends do we hope go away in the New Year? Which show needs to be un-cancelled? And who deserves some major awards-show love?

Here’s what TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak, Kimberly Roots and Andy Swift, West Coast Editor Vlada Gelman and West Coast Reporter Rebecca Iannucci have singled out as dream TV scenarios in the New Year.

Click on the gallery below (or right here) to check out our wishes, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I would add to this wish list no more Marvel comic book shows or any superhero shows! Enough is enough.

• lau says:

Have you actually watched any of the Marvel comic book shows? Because I have and they’re all really good, both IMO and just in the general opinion, so I say what ain’t broke Shouldnt be fixed. (No, watching a few episodes of Agents of SHIELD season 1 doesn’t count I’m afraid.)

• abz says:

Bad news for you. There are still more to come. I think the Luke Cage series is the next one up in addition to a second season of Daredevil (which was one of the best shows in 2015).

• Mak says:

No it’s bad news for the networks…Supergirl was not the hit CBS thought it would be. As much as I’m rooting for the show…I stopped watching at epi 4…it’s just not a captivating series like The Flash. I’d say enough of superhero shows on networks but if they are on Netflix/Amazon then bring it on because Jessica Jones is easily one of the best series I’ve seen in my life…I can’t wait for Luke Cage too.

• tvjunkie says:

Apparently you don’t look at the ratings. It’s been doing pretty good for CBS in the demo. It’s nearly impossible to launch a mega hit these days with so many choices. There hasn’t been a single new mega hit this year. Not even 5 years ago The Blacklist would have already been cancelled with the ratings it’s getting and yet in 2015 it’s considered a hit. The point being the ratings required to be a hit get lower and lower every year. OH and since you mentioned Flash it’s been a bit up and down this year, no quite living up to season 1.

• Mak says:

Supergirl’s underwhelming performance is no secret..CBS had really high hopes for SG & i’m sure they are not too thrilled about it either.Yes ratings aren’t what they used to be but at this rate by the end of the season it may be at 1.2

• I agree. We have enough. Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, The Flash, Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl. I watch and enjoy the latter 2, but we don’t need any more. They all basically have the same plot format anyway.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Thank you! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m not saying that those shows are necessarily bad, but how about coming up with a new idea for a TV show instead of relying on comic books again and again?

• tvjunkie says:

Well then why don’t we get rid of 80% of crime/fire/medical/legal shows and 90% of reality shows if we’re going to limit the number of shows in any genre. It’s pretty amazing that someone would b1tch about this given the hundreds, perhaps more than 1000, choices that you have across all platforms these days. I find it impossible to believe you can’t find something to watch somewhere else or something on your DVR that having some comic book shows inconveniences you soooo much.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

No need to get angry. It’s just my opinion. The plethora of crime, medical, and legal dramas is also a crutch for TV execs.

• Luli says:

You are forgetting about Jessica Jones which is amazing and one of my fav superhero shows, and in general one of the best shows out there. You should totally check it out. You are missing out a gem of a show. Also JJ is first a psycological thriller, and then a superhero show.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

I have heard that “Jessica Jones” is a good show. But I stand by my statement that we need to put a moratorium on superhero/comic book shows ( as well as police, lawyer, and medical shows, as another commenter pointed out)
          It seems like there’s so much more originality on streaming and cable.

2. Mary says:

My wish is that ABC stop trying to milk OUAT and let it be put out of its misery, something they should have done at the end of the third. Or at least let go of a certain character that they wanted to cling to because some people think he’s hot. Not a good enough reason to keep him if they can’t actually write for him and try to force him into places he never was meant to be because of their insistence on clinging to him. Let the cast move on to much better projects.

3. I’m so sick of people blaming Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s poor ratings on The CW… Nobody wants to watch a show that has neither likeable characters or sharp wit!

• Simon Jester says:

Since CEG has both, I’m not sure what you are referring to.

• Steven says:

I guess you haven’t watched the show? I think the show is just too out there for some people.

• Mak says:

I wanted to like this show but yeah…I find Josh to be unbelievably boring & it’s too far of a stretch that the premise of the series would be made around his character; besides the music Rachel & her side kick are very unlikable. People are not watching because it’s simply not captivating enough. There’s nothing to root for!

4. Shar says:

My wish is that somewhere out there, there is a show for Christina Applegate, Sarah Chalke, Jennifer Garner and Ioan Gruffold. Not altogether ( Jen & Ioan, hmm) but something where each of them can shine again. I miss them on TV.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

My wish list: next season’s Homeland won’t be the last but the season after (seven) should, the upcoming fifth season of POI will end and I really want The Price is Right to end next season because of Drew Carey as host.

• Mr. Tran K says:

BTW, I wish Price is Right host Drew Carey should stop saying GOOD LUCK because it’s really the most annoying catchphrase that’s ever coming out of his mouth and I don’t want to hear that if I dare to hit the MUTE button on TV.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Also, I wish that The Price is Right models should stop waving on camera and the show better bring back the three model rotation which they haven’t done it since the end of Season 41 and they also better bring the Million Dollar Spectacular back to prime time which last aired in 2008.

6. Luis says:

1. I so heartily second Mitovich’s wish re Castle.
    2. I loved Everwood and would jump for joy if Berlanti could write/produce another heartwarming show like it!
    3. My wish for OUAT – that Henry goes away . . . away . . . away. I’ve tried liking him; it’s just not in me

7. Luis says:

Another wish – now that “The Exes” is dunzo – that Bill Lawrence, Zach Braff and Donald Faison sit down and create the bromance comedy the world doesn’t realize it needs

8. abz says:

The Good Wife: For them to finally give Diane her judgeship storyline back and follow through with it this time, no hiccups. Also for Alicia and Diane to reignite their friendship. Ditto Cary too.
    The Leftovers: For the show to go on beyond the third season. Seriously one of the finest shows I’ve ever come across. Also for the show and cast to receive Emmy nominations.
    OUAT: For Hook to come back and for Rumple to be brought down once and for all. I also hope Belle catches on to him sooner rather than later. Also as much as I think Rebecca Mader has been great in the role, I think a break from Zelena would be great. Can’t wait for Cruella to return.
    Gilmore Girls: For a release date to be announced soon.
    Grey’s Anatomy: For the animosity between Meredith and Amelia to come to an end already. Also I wish to see Izzie return (but that probably won’t happen). Cristina or Addison at least :)
    Nashville: For more Rayna and Juliet interactions. And for Kevin to return and be with Will.

• Ellen says:

Agree again abz!

You are on point! It would be wonderful for Diane to finally get that judgeship! Watching that classy lady break down privately, in the powder room scene, was devastating. She deserves it, would be awesome at it and should have it, without a doubt!

Also, why the heck is it so frosty between Alicia and Diane? It’s bothersome and unnecessary.

Diane’s judgeship, is an important outstanding issue, among many loose ends, that the Kings should have brought up, as oppose to voicemail gate. We adored Will, but it was a lousy way to revisit his impact on Alicia’s life. Eli is definitely going to regret having had such a vulnerable moment.

You are absolutely correct on more original cast screen time please! Although Alicia is a core character, but no women can do it all alone! Both Diane and Cary, are considered core characters, as well. Seeing the original cast mates, acting together in the same room, and not against each other, as we’ve all had enough of that, would be amazing! Come on Good Wife!

9. JC1 says:

I completely disagree about Sara Lance (since that was the picture used for that wish). I’m thrilled they brought her back. She’s the reason I’m watching Legends of Tomorrow and she’s the reason I’m still watching Arrow, since after that terrible season three I only stuck around because I knew they were bringing her back this season. (Luckily, season four so far is a vast improvement.) I was livid when they killed her off, so as far as I’m concerned they’re just fixing a horrible mistake.

10. Eran says:

I echo the Berlanti wish, wholeheartedly! With both Walkers and Bravermans now off the air, we have no family drama to sink our teeth (and Syrah bottles) into. A new, quality, ensemble family drama would add so much to the 2016 TV roster.

• johnhelvete says:

Soapy family dramas are in this pilot season thanks to Empire, but I dont think the networks are going to put on an Everwood, Brothers & Sisters or Parenthood unless they all work at the same hospital (Canada did this with Remedy), prison, restaurant, superstore etc, and the show is either OTT soapy like Empire or set against the backdrop of a mystery like the upcoming ABC show The Family.

11. Liz985 says:

“Yes” to infinity for slide #1. Eva Green is amazing in “Penny Dreadful.” That she didn’t win something for Season 1 is a crime. If she isn’t acknowledge for her work in Season 2, then the entire awards season is dead to me.

12. mikey says:

That Scandal would get back to Olivia Pope fixing problems and much less time playing house in the Fitz-Liv soap opera. I’m tired of seeing her team sit around doing nothing.

13. diane says:

My wish is for Castle and OUAT listen to you so I can watch their shows again.

14. spindae2 says:

Give me an Arrowverse Birds of Prey 4 episode event series, featuring Laurel, Fell, Thea, Vixen, Caitlin, Sara, Kendra and maybe Iris. Those girls deserve an oppurtunity to be kick as*

I would even wait for 2017 mid season break for it.

15. Rob says:

My wish is for Alyssa Milano to return to TV, either on Mistresses now that it’s back to filming in LA, or in a new series. She’s too talented to not be starring in her own series.

• Ian says:

Seconded.
      If she were to return to Mistresses though, she’d need a whole new situation away from Harry and Joss…
      But I’d rather some kind of Charmed reunion could happen. I miss having a quality coven-centered witch show on tv. (R.I.P. Witches of East End)

16. spindae2 says:

P.S. I’m so with you Michael Mistresses needs a time jump so Karen can be a hot mess.
    P.S.2 Narducci needs to pull his head out of his . . . and make that crossover happen (I heard there is something cooking up for this seasons 15th eps but lets wait for official news).

17. Jennifer says:

I want HINDSIGHT back too. I don’t care who picks it up just as long as it gets picked up again.

18. Va says:

9 season of Castle.

19. Steven says:

Totally agree about Teen Wolf and Hindsight!

20. Brian says:

My wish is after 3 seasons of Olivia Pope being broken, the writers on Scandal will finally begin to heal her and bring back the Olivia Pope we all know and love from seasons 1 & 2. I’m sick to death of seeing this character “broken” and weak.

21. JImN says:

I really hate to agree with you wish for Castle. When this is where the fans expectations are set

should anyone wonder why fans are upset with what is showing up in season 8? Because the point is that none of the dialogue or acting have much to do with the marital status of Castle and Beckett. There was fantastic quality and now there’s nothing close.

The current show hardly resembles the first 7 seasons.

• Suzanne says:

I totally agree! For 7 seasons, Castle was a smart, funny, romantic, quirky detective show (+ occasional conspiracies) with strong characters that grew and evolved over time. Now all of the sudden it’s a train wreck of confusion and conspiracy with occasional attempts at sophomoric comic relief and the characters have become caricatures of their former selves. The relationship between Castle and Beckett, which took years to develop, collapsed seemingly over night and now includes lies and calculated insincere actions. It also appears that their sexual relationship has become detached from their love for and trust in each other. I wish there had not been an 8th season, but they can’t end it now until they fix it. If they won’t fix it, at least just throw away season 8 and don’t even put it on TNT with the rest. I’ll just pretend that it ended with the great season 7 finale.

22. HAP says:

I’m thinking that Ausiello’s comment regarding Kristen Bell is more about his disdain for House Of Lies than his love of Kristen Bell. After all, doing 12 half hour episodes a year would not seem to preclude Kristen from taking on other gigs.

23. Nicole says:

I hardcore disagree with the House of Lies wish for cancellation. I love that show, and Kristen Bell in it. But truth has definitely be spoken in regards to Playing House and You’re the Worst. As far as The Mindy Project, I’ll take anything we can get to remove Danny’s head from his ass and return to the lovable jerk we’re use to.

24. lame says:

If you follow the direction Castle is taking, I think it’s safe to say this season will be the last for the once dynamic duo.
    ABC might attempt to carry-on in a different incarnation at least that appears to be how things are setting up .

25. niloofar22 says:

Aw Ausiello , your last year wish for Carrie/Quinn. WHY WHY WHY???

26. niloofar22 says:

@ Michael Slezak Yours is the best wish and the cruelest fakeout with media silence is Quinn’s fate

27. Ray says:

My wish is that Agents of SHIELD finally get rid of Grant Ward. He’s lasted long past his sell by date.

28. Gilded Lady says:

I disagree about it being a bad thing that the The Originals doesn’t feel like The Vampire Diaries – in fact I’d argue it keeps getting stronger the farther it strays from the parent show. I definitely agree it needs the rating boost, though!

• Vlada Gelman says:

I didn’t say Originals doesn’t feel like TVD, but that the two shows don’t feel related anymore even though their mythologies are connected.

29. Sara says:

Could Norma and Romero FINALLY kiss on Bates Motel in 2016 please? It’s been a delightful slow burn but it needs to end, and it better end in flames to consume us all.

• Angela says:

Ooh, I very much support this idea :D. I also agree with the wish for “Sleepy Hollow” in this list.
      As for other shows I watch, I hope HTGAWM continues to be as intriguing and intense as it’s been thus far. And I’d also like Reid on “Criminal Minds” to finally get some happiness in his life. Whether that’s a relationship/child, or something good happening for him professionally, or whatever, I just want him to get a well-deserved break, and a good streak :). Heck, I want everyone on the team to find some level of happiness in their lives (or keep it, if they’ve already got it).

• Lenore says:

Second that – they’ve been torturing us with that ship long enough, it better be worth it!!

30. Sarah says:

I second the one about Hindsight. I love and will miss that show.

31. N says:

More Castle!

32. supportspike says:

My wish is that James Marsters gets a full time TV role next year on a successful show with several seasons ahead of it!

33. truecat says:

I wish ABC FIRED those 2 show runner writers and come back with final seasons to ended the right way having Beckett retire .

34. kmw says:

I agree with every single thing on this list, especially the fake out deaths and the re boots.

35. username28 says:

My wishes? Well, here’s a (short) list of what just popped in my mind. I wish…
    1. That Person of Interest gets renewed for a sixth season. Finally binge-watched all of it and I haven’t been this obsessed about a sci-fi show since Fringe.
    2. That Scandal stops with the B613 BS and finally give us a storyline we don’t find repetitive (that means Olivia figuring out what she actually wants!)
    3. That Grey’s Anatomy gets the ending it deserves, because viewers simply deserve to see its plug getting pulled at a high note.
    4. That we Orange is the New Black and Broad City get even more awesome that before!
    5. That we get another incredible season of Jessica Jones.
    6. That we get more funny shows (remember 30 Rock? Parks and Rec?)
    7. That we get more Amy Schumer stuff.
    8. That Ryan Murphy FINALLY creates something interesting (as much as I appreciate Gaga’s character in AHS, the only worse thing that I watched is probably Scream Queens)
    9. That “Flash” and “HTGAWM” keep getting better (as they have with every episode so far!)
    10. That SNL keeps bringing old cast members for reunions.
    11. That we see more of Taraji P. Henson. In anything. (and yes, everything on Empire is not enough!)
    12. That the Gilmore Girls reunion goes better than we can imagine.
    13. That we get a third season of Jane the Virgin.
    14. That the Good Wife ends with season 7. I don’t like it when shows keep going past their prime (hear me, Shonda?) and the way it’s going will put a perfect ending to the show (especially when Alicia finally seals the deal with the investigator dude!)
    15. That Person of Interest gets a sixth season (a long shot? Maybe. But I like to show too much to let go of it this soon…)

• username28 says:

I also wish:
      16. That OUAT finds a way to bring a satisfying ending to the viewers.
      17. That Brooklyn Nine-Nine doesn’t stop being funny.
      18. That Sense8 season 2 is better that season 1.
      19. That Westworld and Vynil are as amazing as I’ve imagined.
      20. That broadcast FINALLY orders a good pilot.

36. Ellen says:

My wish list for TGW:

– Alicia realizes Eli is truly a concerned friend, that made a mistake listening and erasing her voicemails from Will and they salvage their friendship

– Alicia and Peter either work on their marriage or divorce, in any case, we will continue to root for her, but do make a decision

– TGW makes it to 10 seasons and beyond, similar to Criminal Minds or Big Bang

That’s my list! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• abz says:

Based on the promo for the next episode with Alicia in full on rage mode and getting violent, a reconciliation between those two might take a while and we all know how long Alicia can hold a grudge (remember Kalinda). Eli really has messed a lot with her life at times. And we can’t forget that he is also privy to another secret that affected her life regarding the election rigging, but after this I don’t think he’ll reveal it.
      I definitely agree with you on your other points. I want the show to go on for many more season because I still enjoy it very much. And they really have got to settle this Peter/Alicia thing once and for all. I want them to end the marriage and have Alicia move on, but given the presidential election, that wish also probably won’t happen anytime soon.

• Ellen says:

Amen abz!

I totally agree with everything you’ve mentioned.

Alicia is a major grudge holder, and that is definitely worrisome, because we want her to be happy and not continue to alienate.

Kalinda was so awesome! The moment she came on the scene in season one, and began to bond with Alicia, I thought to myself, I hope she didn’t have an affair with Peter, because Alicia won’t be able to get past it. Well…the rest was history.

My fear is that she won’t be able to get past this anger with Eli either and that would be a shame. She’s bearly sharing any screen time with what’s left of the original cast members as it is and it would be devastating to see the same plight befall Eli.

The thing is, she’s highly intelligent and focused regarding her professional life and it’s frustrating to see that she can’t discern, that regardless of whoever she’s seeing, or attempting to date, it doesn’t last because– hello…she’s still married!

Either the Kings make her face reality, by admitting that despite the cheating and distrust, it’s always been Peter she’s truly loved or they end their relationship, give her some space and then have a potential suitor enter the picture. I think the show’s ratings would soar and more people would actually watch, in my opinion.

• Ellen says:

Agree again abz!

I tend to focus on the emotional aspect of the show, although other variables certainly deserve attention:

For example, I wanted to add that you are absolutely correct with Peter’s ballot tampering issue as well. It wouldn’t be a stretch for Alicia to be angry at both Eli and Peter, although Eli was unaware and therefore, not even involved regarding the tampering. He was genuinely surprised to hear the news himself. Particularly when his original intent, was to only get back at Peter for his demotion/termination.

It wouldn’t just be guilt by association, but what’s worse, Alicia would automatically assume Eli helped to orchestrate the entire political debacle, given his recent confession and her off the charts anger level!

I tend to think, that the show suffers from our core character, Alicia, constantly ignoring her emotional intelligence compass. A lot of issues would be resolved, bringing more depth to the show, in my opinion, if she opted for talking more, instead of wasting time, stirring drinks with her fingers, these days. Trust me…I’m rolling my eyes just thinking about it. So Annoying

37. Fran says:

I am still wondering why the Weinsteins (They do own the station now don’t they?) refuse to release The Graham Norton Show season 18 and maybe now going 19 on BBC America. Of all the crapola they show on tv and reshow, what is holding back one of the best talk/variety shows on tv accomplishing? At first it was going to be released in early October ’15. It is now almost ’16 and no new Graham. The guy is the best talk show host on tv since forever, and instead they show Dr Who and other stuff. Bring back Graham!
    I would like to see Forever come back, for Good Wife’s Alicia and Jeffrey Dean Morgan to get it on, and for NCIS- LA to reverse days with NCIS-NOLA so I could watch LA. I cannot stand the thick drawl of the New Orleans actors. I miss Sam and G and Deeks etc. Can’t watch when Dancing with Stars and a few other Monday shows are on.

38. Dee Ann korth says:

What I want is season seven of Hawaii five o . There are questions that still need to answered .

• Ellen says:

Agree with Dee Ann Korth!

Hawaii Five O, which is awesome by the way, needs to tie up loose ends with my fav newly married couple–Kono and Adam! I’ve read somewhere, that the writers would give the couple some difficult dilemmas, to face together, including Adam’s past ties to the Yakuza/organized crime.

The winter finale ended with Adam going away to prison for quite sometime. I wonder when the situation will be wrapped up?
      The dude behind it, has been on the run for ever and needs to be behind bars instead!

Also, what was the deal with Catherine’s abrupt departure, ominous phone call to an unknown male and leaving Steve? Is she being blackmailed or what? If so, by whom and why?

Side note- What the heck happened to Amber, (who really goes by another name, since she was on the run from an abusive boyfriend, who Danny shot and killed, in an effort to save/rescue her)?

What happen to Mcgarette’s very brief love interest, with whom he went on a date, and turned into a harrowing experience, they both managed to conquer, (joking afterwards, that they should’ve gone for coffee)? I liked the British young lady for him, if they don’t bring Catherine back.

When will Chin Ho and the visiting female officer get together? She’s great for him and it’s long over due…just saying.

39. Anna says:

I wish that the producers/writers of Arrow would remember its supposed to be based on the Green Arrow comics and not a cheap way of doing Batman on the sly.

I also really really wish that Felicity does not become Oracle: unless TPTB commit 100% to the comic source material and include suitable character development and growth.

40. Madison says:

I’m glad I’m not alone in hoping “Hindsight” finds a new home. It’s such a fun show. Thanks tvline!

41. shadester says:

Do not cancel the Good wife. I still love the show. They do need to stop fighting though. Do not kill off castile either although I do agree about the angels. I love Castiel. He brings humor when they are being so dark. I like it when the boys get along and just doing a case. This season hasn’t been very good though.