Josh Elliott Leaving NBC Sports Less Than Two Years After GMA Exit

Josh Elliott is taking his ball and going home.

The erstwhile Good Morning America news anchor — who left ABC for a position at NBC Sports only 21 months ago — has exited the latter job, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“I’m grateful for the chance to work with the remarkable team at NBC Sports, and appreciate their support as I look forward to what’s next,” Elliott told THR, in a statement.

No word yet on what Elliott’s post-NBC Sports plans will be.

Surprised by the brevity of Elliott’s NBC Sports stint? Do you miss him on morning TV? Sound off below!

1. big cheddar says:

I wish he (and Sam) could come back to GMA, but that bridge has been burnt.

2. delfiteblu says:

Maybe Sam will give him a job at the Weather Channel. Seemed like that was the reason Josh left GMA in the first place.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Poor Josh Elliott. First GMA and now NBC Sports. What’s next for him?

4. danoregon says:

NBC has a habit of hiring people then doing nothing with them – see Beadle, Michelle. Really surprised NBC didn’t use him on MSNBC or NBCSN.

5. krbmjb says:

I really didn’t see him much on the air. I agree that he and Sam maybe thought they were more popular than they actually ARE. Their fandom did not carry over to either NBC Sports OR the Weather Channel. I believe Sam is also out at the Weather Channel as well. Should have stayed at GMA.

6. danoregon says:

Just speculation here, but anyone think NBC hired Elliot and Champion away simply to hurt GMA? Say the total contract outlay is $20 mil – figure with Today back on top in the demo makes it pay for itself and more whether they did anything with the talent acquired.

7. AM68 says:

Ever since he was on GMA I’ve read things about how difficult he is to work with – it’s one of the main reasons why ABC didn’t counter-offer him when he left for NBC Sports. Apparently none of the GMA cast liked him. Don’t know if this is true but it can perhaps explain why he didn’t make it at NBC either.

• MelindaWarren says:

I remember reading that as well. He had a HUGE ego and felt he should have been paid as much as Robin Roberts! When I found out what a jerk he was to work with I was done. Watching him on GMA…knowing the cast didn’t lie him was just to fake for me. I REALLY miss Sam!!! I was so happy when he join GMA!!!

8. nickp91 says:

Josh Elliott and Sam Champion have not really landed as they thought their new gigs would allow post GMA.

9. Bonnie Griffin says:

I miss him terribly!!!! I couldn’t find where he’d be in the Sports gig…. Time to go back to GMA??? If Only I were in charge…..wishing you the best Josh Elliott!!

10. Grey says:

When he was at GMA I didn’t like the fact that he didn’t do his homework. It was soooo obvious on so many occasions that he hadn’t properly read up on the person he was interviewing or their projects/reason for being on the show. Embarrassing.

11. Barbara Collins says:

They all have egos. I like Ginger & Amy. But I also really liked Sam & Josh. I thought Josh deserved the anchor position.

12. Merk says:

Stopped watching GMA when he snd Sam left. Was hoping Josh would have been on Today

13. Bob Boyd says:

I hope he replaces Lara

14. Sheila says:

Josh Elliott was a breath of fresh air on normally stale morning TV!

15. Lois Arce says:

Josh is greatly missed in the mornings, he should come home .