ABC Orders Gay Rights Movement Miniseries From Milk Producers

The team behind the Oscar-winning film Milk is staying in familiar waters for its next project.

ABC has greenlit When We Rise, an eight-hour miniseries about the gay rights movement.

The project, which was in development for more than two years at ABC, chronicles the personal and political struggles of a diverse family of LGBT men and women, who helped pioneer the gay rights movement from its turbulent infancy to its modern successes.

Milk director Gus Van Sant will helm the mini’s first two hours. Dustin Lance Black, the film’s writer, will pen the script and executive-produce with Van Sant and Bruce Cohen (another of the movie’s producers).

Released in 2008, Milk starred Sean Penn as gay rights activist Harvey Milk and won two Oscars for Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay.

1. Ian says:

I wasnt all that crazy about the film, so I hope these same people can make the movement more gripping as television. Give me a compelling educational drama, with all the representation that’s so sorely lacking in general across the landscape.

2. NM says:

I’m a little surprised Shonda Rhimes isn’t attached to this.

3. Simon says:

I’m guessing right after Christmas the One Million Morons, I mean Moms will go on the attack launching a war on ABC for being Anti-Family.

4. V. says:

Yas! Yas! Yas! A thousand times on board with this.

5. Jason. P says:

Lets see how much things get white washed like stonewall

6. Starring Tom Cruise as the closet.

7. Ninini says:

Another gay show?? The gay community or the LBGT community should have a TV channel exclusive for them and all the LBGT community out there in the country. I think they should feel more comfortable having an exclusive channel just for themselves/

8. tvjunkie says:

Given how the channel has been wh0ring out Jenner I can’t say this is surprising. In fact I’d be shocked if Bruce doesn’t make an appearance in the mini-series either as himself or someone playing him given how the left and ABC in particular just loves to ram him down everyone’s throat. I’m sure it will do as well in the ratings as Barbara’s latest special. Oh…

9. rightthinkingone says:

Boycott ABC.

10. won says:

we have thrown our god out of government, schools, and pubic places. they removing god’s name from the bible. the only book that tells us how to live a good life. the world ruler’s are accepting Satan’s ways and now saying it’s ok to break god’s laws we are doomed as a country that “in god we trust”. tv is Satan’s messenger. have yourself a very nice pagan holiday.