Year in Review

The Dumbest Things TV Did in 2015

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

If you’re a regular TVLine reader, the answer is a definite yes — but we’re not sure we can say the same of every TV exec in America in 2015.

Indeed, from dismal title changes to head-scratching scheduling decisions to morally dubious calls, there was more than a little tarnish on this golden era of television over the last 12 months.

Donald Trump? 19 Kids and Counting? The usual suspects are all accounted for — but they’re not alone!

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments and share you picks for 2015’s dumbest moves.

1. kmw says:

I agree with everyone, especially The Good Wife’s split screen and what they are doing with Mike and Molly. The people at Good Wife were delusional if they thought their fans were going to buy any of what they were saying. As for Mike and Molly, the show has done decent enough numbers at CBS to be treated better. I would add one more thing, that every programming and schedule move by FOX is dumber than the last ones they have made

2. Good for you not letting go of TGW debacle.

I’m still really pissed about Hindsight. :(

3. Jennifer says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I couldn’t agree more about VH1 and Hindsight.

Hindsight was a wonderful show and it shouldn’t have been cancelled.

4. LADY_in_MD says:

Couldn’t agree more about hindsight I’m still bitter about it espically leaving on a cliffhanger and then taking back the renewal it was the only reason I watched vh1

5. Pete says:

GW split screen definitely #1 (but still love the show). Disagree about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend being an hour – works for me.

• taelorrye says:

Especially because its runtime wasn’t *really* doubled – with commercials, only like 12 minutes were added, and the episodes don’t drag on or anything

• Steven says:

I agree with all of these except Crazy Ex. This is the second time TVLine has made these comments about the show running too long. I don’t understand. It’s still a delightful way to spend an hour. If you didn’t know it was meant to be 30 minutes you’d never know.

• Mark says:

Agree 100%. It’s such a fun show. There’s no way for me to get my friends to watch it because of the name though. They scoff when I say it’s good.

6. Jane says:

“Reports that the runner-up was Freeform the Walking Dead have yet to be confirmed.” Lol!

7. mac says:

misses E! cancelling the Soup

• Angela says:

Ooh, I’ll second that one. And I agree with the list’s mentions of Trump hosting “SNL” (pretty much anything involving Trump counts as a bad idea) and TLC not cancelling “19 Kids” right away, too.

8. Jane says:

The new format and Jason Derulo as a judge is just scratching the surface of bad decisions on SYTYCD.

• CSB says:

I wonder how much the ratings would go up if Nygel was no longer a judge. His OVERT manipulation of the process and irritating habit of playing favorites is what drove me away after years of loyal viewership.

• Nicole says:

Yes, in one season they went from my favorite show to completely unwatchable. I couldn’t even make it through the 10 year reunion special which made me very sad.

9. abz says:

It’s still one of if not my all time favourite show, but yes The Good Wife is #1 on the list of making the dumbest decision this year. The split screen nonsense was ridiculous and the Kings’ attempt at justifying it was condescending and stupid. And honestly as much as I love the show, I’d probably rank it #1 on TV’s dumbest decisions for maybe the past three years. There is no logic behind the fact that two characters that worked in the same office, on the same cases, in the same building for several years, did not physically share screen time once for almost three seasons. We may never know the real story, but the apparent lack of professionalism coupled with this poor writing/directing decision was just sad and will forever stain this wonderful show.
    CBS cancelling Mike & Molly is so annoying. I know it didn’t have crazy ratings like TBBT but I thought it was still doing okay. It was still entertaining and I love the supporting cast. I swear they better not cancel Mom. One of the best comedies I’ve come across in a long time. Person of Interest too.

• Mr. Tran K says:

There’s a 51% chance POI will end this season. I think cancelling Mike & Molly was the toughest decision CBS had to make despite their grueling prime time schedule if only their long running shows should put into retirement.

10. Morgan says:

VH1 cancelling Hindsight is still baffling months later.

11. DarkDefender says:

Freeform The Walking Dead <– For the win.

12. Dan says:

Thanks for adding the constant name changes of “Second Chance” (ugh) to the list. “The Frankenstein Code” was a GREAT title and while “Lookinglass” was lame, I understand it made sense within the context of the series. But you’re absolutely right, “Second Chance” is a bad 90s sitcom title, the kind of show “Too Many Cooks” would be making fun of.

• prish says:

Oh, they were all the same TV show? Nothing like getting your viewers confused, even before the show starts. Here’s hoping the plotting is better. Second Chance is better than Looking Glass, imho, which sounded fragile. Of course, nothing was as good as The Frankenstein Code. I wonder if that title is copyrighted, now, or if it is available for a book/screenplay title, etc.

13. mike says:

I have 2, first not giving The Player a chance to build. The show was not a ratings champ but it did not loose audience week to week. Those who tuned in stayed with the show. NBC should have tried it in anoher slot. Second Days of Our Lives murder of Will Horton,idiot move.

14. skrable2 says:

This article is very kind to the showrunners of Castle

• prish says:

It’s probably a matter of not kicking someone when they’re down.

• Dan says:

Of course they can’t mention how Castle managed to destroy its main characters and make them utterly unlikable in only a few episodes!
      God forbid they would anger the amazing new showrunners and disrupt their steady flow of amazing and fun scoops that gets all the fans discussing how amazing it is and get all the click bait going! Amazing and fun is all the rage!

15. JosiahBartlet4President says:

TLC not canceling “19 Kids” right away was not only dumb. It was also evidence of both the network and the family’s greed. All I can hope is that the network has lost a very significant amount of viewers as a result.

16. Marco says:

I agree with everything, especially the TGW debacle and ‘Freeform’ (call the network ‘freeware’ while you’re at it, why don’t you?) but the one about CEG, The show works quite fine even with its longer minutage, thank you very much.

17. I would have to disagree with Aquarius. It was one of only about three dramas that were actually worth watching this summer.

18. Dale says:

Glad I missed all of this. I don’t watch any of those shows.

19. Shannon says:

I’m still really disappointed about VH1 cancelling the already renewed Hindsight. Definitely a dumb move on their part. :(

20. Emor says:

I want to add my vote to the cancellation of Hindsight. Are we sure that Kevin Riley isn’t running VH1 as well?

21. Mr. Tran K says:

Ending Mike & Molly after six seasons is NOT the dumbest move in my opinion even though CBS remains the biggest problem regarding their grueling prime time schedule and if the network execs over at Daytime is going to have the guts whether The Price is Right will end next season, it won’t be the dumbest move of them all.

22. MelindaB says:

The cancellation of Forever–it was a great show with a great cast. The juxtaposition of modern-day and flashback storylines was interesting, and with a few hundred years of backstory for the main character, there were almost unending potential stories.

23. Spence says:

I was horrified to see Parks and Rec on here… Only to get to the actual slide and be very pleasantly surprised. Completely agree; it was disgraceful how NBC treated that show.

24. kirads09 says:

SyFy cancelling Defiance. I still feel it could’ve gone on and had lots of story to tell. Did the showrunners already know and that is why the decidedly “series” finale even before it was made official? Helix and Haven gone now too. Which means no regular series on SyFy for me to be interested in.

Second, CBS cancels Battle Creek. It was a fresh different take on the “buddy” cop genre so it didn’t seem like old trope. The two leads Josh Duhamel & Dean Winters each gave INCREDIBLE performances. The rest of the ensemble cast was also fantastic. It had sooo much more to it, and it WAS NOT given any kind of a fair chance by the network. Sorry if I still sound a little bitter but…