Miss Universe 2015: Host Steve Harvey Names Wrong Woman Winner

Well, this is awkward.

Sunday’s Miss Universe 2015 ended with host Steve Harvey naming Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez as the evening’s top winner… only she was really the first runner-up.

That means that Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach, who’d previously been named first runner-up, was actually the new beauty queen.

“I have to apologize,” Harvey said after walking back onstage at Las Vegas’ Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino while Gutierrez — who’d already donned the Miss Universe crown and sash — took her first walk as the winner. “The first runner-up is Colombia.”

Cut to Wurtzbach, who’d been standing in the dark on stage with the other runners-up (including Miss USA Olivia Jordan), looking shellshocked as she realized she’d won.

“I will take responsibility for this,” a chagrined Harvey told the screaming crowd as he held up the card from which he’d been reading. “It was my mistake… I can show it to you right here.”

He added: “Still a great night. Please don’t hold it against the ladies.” Then Gutierrez bent down so Miss Universe 2014 Paulina Vega could remove the crown Miss Colombia been awarded and place it on Wurtzbach’s head.

Harvey later apologized via Twitter for the mistake. The Miss Universe Organization, via Fox, issued the following statement:

The excitement of live TV was evident tonight on the Miss Universe stage with over 10 million live fan votes tabulated. Unfortunately, a live telecast means that human error can come into play. We witnessed that tonight when the wrong winner was initially announced. Our sincerest apologies to Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez, Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, their families and fans. We congratulate Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015.

We don’t want to kick a Family Feud host when he’s down, but is anyone else wondering whether someone involved with the pageant might’ve planned the mistake as a way to nab a little extra publicity for the event? Or are we just cynical jerks?

Watch the moment play out above, then take our poll: Do you think Harvey’s gaffe wasn’t so accidental after all?

1. LADY_in_MD says:

Ok that was so awkward I don’t think they will be asking Steve to host again

2. As long as they put stuff like this on YouTube, I can continue to avoid watching these stupid things and watch football.

3. tovahatha says:

Oh man. That was painful. Poor Miss Colombia.

4. Why would it be scripted? That is the dumbest idea ever.

5. No it wasn’t scripted. Steve Harvey is just an idiot with a microphone.

6. B.T. says:

Miss Colombia is like “You want my crown, you’re gonna have to rip it off my head bitch.”

7. . (@yikes77) says:

That was probably the greatest ending to a show this year. I audibly gasped. I feel horrible for Colombia and Philippines was completely thrown off that the others had to visibly wave her to go. Steve shows the card and…it ends like that. And of course Donald Trump is going to boast that would not have happened if he still owned the organization.

• cris says:

That’s got to be it: Donald Trump scheduled this whole thing to demonstrate how much Better everything is when he’s in charge!:)

8. ceebee says:

What a moron!! And then HE runs from the stage to exit…..I feel bad for both ladies…..he should NOT be paid any $$………

9. San Anton says:

What an idiot! He apologized via Twitter and mispelled Colombia!

10. Dee says:

Poor Ms. Philippines if the mistake was not corrected. Alls well that ends well

11. Mike says:

Make Miss Universe Great Again! Trump 2016 *Trump would not have had that affirmative action loser Steve Harvey hosting.

• peter g says:

Go back to your church Mike, and put that Klan hood on, you racist coward.

• Londell says:

Ease up Mike… This doesn’t have to be racial. Steve Harvey is extremely popular right now, and we’ll deserving of the opportunity. Yes he blew it, but your affirmative action comment suggests that African Americans or any other minority doesn’t deserve the chance to host the show. That’s just wrong.

• Stephanie says:

Wow Mike, it’s like that huh…so sad, things are still the same in 2015:(
      We are all human beings, NOT Robots!!

• peace says:

If Trump is still the owner, then winner has been picked before the show even started.

• My Nguyen says:

If someone asks me to trust my tax money with Donald Trump it just like asking me to trust Steve Harvey to read the next Miss Universe winner.

12. pepe says:

Steve just made a mistake. But let’s not have him host this event again.

• mikee says:

Was it really his mistake or was he given the cards in the wrong order or were the cards mixed up. We will know later, as for Steve….I feel so bad for him. I know Steve has come up thru the ranks from living in his car when he was young to the millionaire he is today.

13. Sj says:

Black host of a company used to be owned by Donald Trump accidentally crowns A Latina woman Miss universe & then takes the title away. At least Muss universe & Fox & Harvey will get their day in the headlines tomorrow as this will go viral. I guess reading us not Harveys string suit. Feel bad for Colombia

14. peter g says:

It’s an idiotic, archaic, stupid competition that they try to polish every year, making it seem relevant. But it’s not. It’s an outdated beauty contest pretending to be a feminist competition. WHO CARES

15. Nino Montana says:

Steve Harvey has no business hosting the ms Universe pageant. This was not the Ebony pageant nor the Hoody award show he is accustomed to host. Smfh.

• anucha says:

Yes, I feel for the guy. The card is kind of stupid to say 1st runner up …columbia. and separated the miss universe on the right. I would make the same mistake.

• E. John says:

Steve made a mistake , I am sympathetic to him and the two contestants. The MUO came to Steve , more than once, to host the pageant. Hmmn, pageants aren’t popular, I think pageants are out of style, really dead. Let’s bury them

• Anne says:

I think he can host any show that he is given the opportunity to do. Has anyone contacted you to host a show? Probably not! Stop hating!

• Hanh says:

I think anyone could’ve made the mistake. The title ‘First Runner Up’ could easily mistakenly read. Don’t bash Steve Harvey like that. He is nervous in front of all these beautiful women!

• brownskin says:

You all want to bash someone for either a mistake or not. It happened and its over and i dont see an extended invitation in your mailbox to host a darn thing but your living room sofa. Seat down, take a back seat u ignorant fools. Ur just jealous of his success. Shut up and wash the vinyl siding on your trailer park home. BOOM#TEAMOBAMA

• Nancy says:

I can promise you that I’m not jealous of Steve Harvey. And how does your comment do anything to add to the conversation? You’re sounding like a bully. Have a nice day.

16. Mary says:

That was such a horrible mistake. So so embarrassing for both miss Columbia and Steve

17. I second that. Why would it be – Steve surely wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone let alone himself. Dumbest question ever. What site am I on again? I clicked too fast. Lol

18. anucha says:

Who created the card is the idiot! He/she should not say 1st on the card for Columbia. The card is not clear. You can’t even blame the announcer. He is not wrong.

19. esatehas says:

Incompetence and stupidity personified!

“Please don’t blame it on the ladies.”???

20. It was a mistake that nobody wants to commit. I forgive Steve.

21. #LOL says:

I think its part of the script. With so many twist in the competition until its applied to the end. Good luck Steve for your carreer.

22. del says:

The most entertaining miss universe pageant to date!!!!!

23. me says:

I can’t believe some idiots believe it was a mistake, use your brain….it took about 2 minutes or more for him to come back with that mistake BS, it takes seconds until anyone would come to correct the host and sort it out right away, but instead they let the girl parade around the stage as the winner…I think someone just made a phone call after the initial result , I wonder who hmmmmm

• Brisk says:

Don’t be a bitch it doesn’t matter the time he took to realize that he messed up

• :-) says:

It took 2 min and 36 seconds for them to acknowledge a mistake. I found that odd also. The people running the pageant knew the there was a problem. They all had walkie-talkie/ communication devices. I’ve done enough live plays and award programs to know that things could/ should have been stopped earlier. Everyone knows their cues and to always keep one eye on the person in charge.

24. Gail Nelson says:

I’d say that is Steve Harvey’s last time hosting! feel bad for Colombia and Philippines!

25. wpvasq says:

Who on earth hired this moron to be MC?

26. John mathews says:

The guy , Steve I can’t read Harvey is an idiot. They obviously didn’t train him. I hope miss Colombia sues the organization. I won’t watch this again

• Brisk says:

why wold she sue? Cuz she didn’t win? 😂 😂 👌

• Jake says:

Idiot?? No way. This was a great career move. Yesterday, 10 percent of TV watchers knew who Steve Harvey is; today, 80 percent. Yesterday, “Star Wars” was the top entertainment story of the weekend; today, Steve Harvey. You can’t buy publicity like that by doing a great job. Ya gotta screw up big time. Nice work, Steve!

27. Stacyb says:

Anyone can make a mistake …I just feel bad for the one who thought she won …

28. Shawn says:

Congratulations Ms. Philippines and Ms. Columbia and to all ladies who joined the pageant, to the event organizers next time when you choose a host, he/she should been educated and no mental illness.

29. kitty says:

es solo un error el se disculpo y y se echo toda la culpa….. no tienen por que votarlo ni hacer nada mal con el… el admitio el error y se disculpo…

30. minerva says:

I watched as it happened. Harvey was clearly very embarrassed.

31. xtina says:

This isn’t the first time that a wrong announcement was made during a prestigious beauty pageant. I feel for Ms. Columbia but Pia deserves it! “Beauty with a heart!” Miss Philippines is 2015 Miss Universe! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas! Mabuhay ka Pia!

32. Oh Dear….That too much hurts for Miss Colombia -_- I feel upset for her

33. Dexter a. VIllanueve says:

It’s was obvious from the start, many sensed that there was something wrong with the announcement, with the judges going like “wtf” that’s not the result!

34. Adrianne says:

Everyone makes mistakes

35. kathrinamae says:

It was an honest mistake. I think what he had in mind was the usual, sequencing/sequencial. I think he forgot he said that he will announce the new Miss Universe. It’s on the envelope. Humiliating, embarrassing but well handled by Harvey. Whats important is the truth. Besides, they are all winners. :)

36. ruger says:

Geez people he’s only human. Nobody is perfect.

• Dalinda says:

Steve Harvey made a mistake, he owned up to it and took the blame. I’m sure he feels terrible. I feel so bad for Miss Colombia, it’s too bad they can’t both have the crown, they are both beautiful and smart.

37. Su Yu says:

What a joke!…who hired the announcer and the one sleazy judge?

38. Dee says:

PRODUCERS SHOULD NOT PAY HARVEY HIS FEE AS A HOST! JEEEEZZZ!! Can’t even read????

39. Davy says:

Should’ve just Marisa Tomei’d it. Whatever comes off the presenter’s tongue stands, damn the card. The show must go on. It’s not like the contest isn’t a total crapshoot anyway

40. CK says:

To be fair, the card design is a bit awkward. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to be the winner all the way in the bottom lefthand corner? The runner ups are even underlined and beside their category where as the winner is just haphazardly placed at the bottom. Most folks would catch it, but probably not instantly.

• tizocacar says:

You would think that there had been a rehearsal – something to coach the announcer on how the deal is set up… 2nd runner up, first runner up, and the world can come to deduce the winner… Hunger games ending is all that could have saved face… Two winners…

• CK says:

I think they probably had a rehearsal for how he would announce it: 2nd runner up and then the Winner. I don’t think they went over the minor detail of how the card is formatted. It’s Steve’s mistake, but that card did them no favors.

• Peggy says:

The winner was actually listed in the lower right corner. The others were listed in the upper left corner. Steve was obviously not prepped about it therefore he didn’t realize it until he went backstage. I agree it’s a very odd layout. But I love Steve! I hate it for all involved especially Colombia. Pia is beautiful.

• Loo Peng Woh says:

Why blame the card design…nothing wrong with it…only dickhead who cant read blame it on the card. Btw, the winner, Philippines is placed at the bottom right hand corner, with the heading MISS UNIVERSE 2015 above the name.

_____________________________________________________________________

MISS UNIVERSE 2015 ELIMINATION CARD – SHOW FINAL 3 TO 1

USA
      2nd Runner Up_____________________

COLOMBIA
      1st Runner Up______________________

MISS UNIVERSE 2015

PHILIPPINES
      _____________________

41. Elda says:

No one is perfect,, the most important thing is he acknowledge his mistake

42. Dee says:

They should NOT pay harvey for his hosting job. I’m sure he ain’t cheap! Jeez! Can’t even read?!?!?

43. Evz says:

Steve did agreat job in correcting his mistake right away, that matters most.

44. geralyn says:

Both girls will be more famous than ever! It’s a horrible mistake. Both girls must feel bad. The winner answered the questions with such grace, she is amazing. Both women were beautiful. It is an easy mistake. Maybe not practiced enough! Everyone make mistakes. Give the guy a break.

45. Amber says:

I wouldn’t think Steve Harvey would be part of that. How would the publicity help the actual pageant? It’s over. I mean build up for next year? I’ve got to think it was a horrible accident.

46. mom of 3 says:

Anyone know how much money Steve Harvey made to host The Miss Universe Pageant? He is a professional host that I’m sure was compensated well to use his hosting skills and not mess up on announcing the correct winner. His comments made during the swimsuit part of the competition was inappropriate too! I’m a fan of Steve Harvet, his show, and him hosting Family Feud but an experienced and well paid host should have been prepared and known how to read the card and announce the winner correctly. I feel embarrassed for Mr. Harvey, Miss Columbia, and Miss Phillipine.

47. Andrea says:

Poor Steve. I’d have felt horrible making a mistake like that. Poor Miss Colombia. But in the end, I hoped Philipines would win over Colombia..and she did!
    PS. i just don’t know that the pageant would do something so cruel to the first runner up and make her think she won; just for a little bit of publicity. Just too much.

48. tizocacar says:

Two Miss Universe(s) – You can’t crown someone and then say “Ooops, I’m so sorry”, what an idiot

49. Topi says: