Nashville: On the Record Concert Special Recap — Back on the Bus, Y'all

Nashville‘s third On the Record special, which aired Wednesday night, is the closest you can get to being a roadie for the ABC drama without having to share a tour bus with a snoring Gunnar.

Filmed during the ABC drama’s most recent spate of live concerts, the beautifully shot special follows Charles Esten, Clare Bowen, Chris Carmack, Sam Palladio, Aubrey Peeples and Lennon and Maisy Stella as they play venues around the country.

Along the way, we learn some interesting tidbits about the Music City gang. Who doesn’t like big crowds? Who gets caught dancing like a goofball? Who’s a little awestruck at seeing audiences respond well to his music?

We’ve pulled a bunch of moments from the episode and gathered them into the photo recap below. So pack up your guitar picks and finalize your set lists, then click through the pics for highlights from the special.

1. Shaun says:

Didn’t they already show this?Clares hair was still long.

• quang says:

It only seems old because they filmed this during the break between season 3 and 4, so the cast sang no new songs from this season and Clare’s hair was still long.

2. Shira says:

Loved the special. Was a great tribute to the show and to what Chip called – The Nashville Nation.. The way how life imitates art and vice versa -it’s surreal and moving because the show didn’t just make an impact on the life of many fans in various ways but it first and foremost made an impact on their lives not just by giving them a job. Don’t know what the future of this show will be -but sure am grateful for its existence. The show, this cast, the music – they make me smile.

3. Carol C says:

Great show! I didn’t realize Clare Bowen was from Australia.

4. Oh, I don’t know…sharing a tour bus with a snoring Gunnar doesn’t sound so bad! 😉

5. Bernie says:

After last season’s phenomenal on the record 2, I was looking forward to this season’s “on the record” and walked away very disappointed. I should have been called “Touring – behind the scenes”. Please return to last years format of presenting live performances, instead of a few tour clips performing last season songs.

• CMG says:

I agree, I was really looking forward to the special, but this was really disappointing. I didn’t mind the look behind the scenes of the tour, but that should have been secondary to performances of full songs, similar to previous years.

The worse part is that I was actually at one of the shows on this tour (Chicago, not filmed for this special) and this didn’t really do a good job of capturing the experience of seeing these people perform live.

• Agree 100%… I loved the concerts the first 2 years. This was just a plain old disappointment. What is going to be on the record when this barely had any full songs.

6. Care says:

Great recap, Kimberly! Love your Nashville snark and fan love.

7. Ann says:

I didn’t like this special episode. We only got to hear one full song! In year’s past, we got to hear plenty. I like the behind the scenes stuff of the tour, but they could have done a better job to intertwine it with the music, instead of having the music play in the background with them talking over it.

8. Lana says:

I attended the concert when it was in Boston and they all were PHENOMENAL! I took my niece for her birthday and we even got to meet Chris Carmack (Will). What a great guy! And he has the bluest eyes ever!!! Very gracious, super appreciative to all his fans. And Chip Esten (Deacon) was like a foot away from us but we couldn’t reach him. LOL! The sign in one of the photos the woman held up that said she would give Deacon his liver was actually in Boston. He saw the sign and joked about the fact that the venue was actually next to a hospital (which it was) and that they could head over there right now for the transplant. HA! Very funny guy. The surprise guests for us were Sam Palladio (Gunnar) and Chaley Rose (Zoe). They were not originally advertised as attending. They were great as well as the other performers. Was hoping that Jonathan Jackson (Avery) would have made it but he didn’t. I believe the footage they showed of the final number (A Life That’s Good) was the one from the Boston show. Every time the camera would pan to the crowd I would search to see if I could spot us (LOL!). We had pretty good seats towards the front but we were all the way to the right of the stage. All in all, a fabulous show. Will remember it for a long time. :)

9. Jan says:

I feel I’m stilled owed a “on the record 3”. All this was is a rehash of songs performed from last seasons excellent on the record taken on the road during this season. No new material and nothing to put on the record! I want my hour back.

• Ann says:

I didn’t mind that it was a rehash. What I did mind was that we didn’t get to hear any of the songs fully, except “A Life That is Good”…which I love and wouldn’t mind hearing them sing every season of On the Record.

10. Dave says:

Will they doing a tour in New England in 2016 ?

11. Connie says:

I also was disappointed I wanted to hear the song and performance. Loved to get t know them all and see the behind the scene but not to the exclusion of the performances. I’d be willing to buy the dvd of the first two years but they don’t even make them available. If they would do a two hour combo on behind scenes and full performances. Please please think about those of us who can’t get to the live show. Connie