Exclusive

Video: Shadowhunters Cast Explains Four Key Terms All Fans Should Know

If you plan on checking out ABC Family/Freeform’s Shadowhunters (Jan. 12, 9/8c), you’ll need to brush up on your demon-slaying vocabulary first.

Fortunately, TVLine has an exclusive behind-the-scenes feature, in which the key players of the supernatural series — Dominic Sherwood, Katherine McNamara, Matthew Daddario, Harry Shum Jr. and author Cassandra Clare — break down a few of the (many) new words you’ll encounter in the Shadow World, including “shadowhunter,” “rune,” “stele” and “warlock.”

Hit PLAY on the vocabulary lesson above, then drop a comment below: Are you pumped for Shadowhunters?

1. Cornelius says:

Seeing how the movie was a flop I’ll bet so will the show. Oh, and Freeform is a stupid rename for the network can’t get over that.

• Macy says:

Lol… just because the movie flopped, doesn’t mean the show will. They have different actors, directors, and about 13 hours to fill instead of two. It looks very good for still being edited and stuff (Like most tv shows that are edited up until they air). And honestly, who cares about the name of the channel? Yea it’s a little silly, but it has no impact on the shows.

2. Dr. M says:

The video says Volume 1… is there a volume 2 somewhere?

3. Fantastic! Cannot wait for Jan. 12. This cast is a joy to watch.

4. Jess (@athena606) says:

So excited for this series! It’s what should’ve been done with the books from the start!! Can’t wait for shadowhunters!

5. nseila says:

So excited, I feel like it’s going to be my new fave TV show and I love the cast!

6. Loncx says:

MALEC ❤❤❤

7. Nica says:

So excited for shadowhunters and i love this cast <3
    Can't wait for Jan 12. MALEC!!!

8. pao says:

The cast is amazing the promotion it is getting is great too, I hope people who haven’t read the books enjoy it as well!

9. Sian says:

Obsessed woth the cast, they are amazing! Everything looks so much better than what the movie ever was!! I hope the pessimists will go sulk somewhere else though…(lol all they do is whine and moan) This show looks so good and im so excited for it!!!

10. Bek says:

So excited for this show! The movie was a huge flop so I’m really excited we are getting this! The cast is amazing and I’m so excited for Malec! Seriously if they made the show just about them I’d be happy lol

11. jenni says:

I’m so exited
    This looks a lot better than the movie already👌🏼

12. Jen says:

I love hearing the pronunciations of the different words. You kinda make em up when youre reading, but I love knowing its /stilei/ where I had thought /stili/

I’m so excited for this show to come out! It looks amazing and I can see the chemistry between the characters even in short teasers like these!

13. Casey says:

How’d this fandom get blessed with such a crazy hot cast??? im dying over here

14. Sawyer says:

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to watch it :)

15. Sae says:

I don’t think I’ve looked forward to any series as much as this one! The cast looks perfect. It’s obvious that the people behind the show have a lot of love for the source material. I trust them to expand upon it and give my favorite characters more to do.

16. Ana Carolina says:

So excited for the show!

17. Macie says:

Yessss can’t wait till January

18. Hyo Ren says:

How many volumes are we going to get? Oh my…! So excited! Can’t wait till January. This show is gonna be great.

19. Laura says:

Absolutely love this and finally learning how to say some of the terms after many years! The show is going to be gorgeous, can’t wait!!!