Mike & Molly Cancelled

Mike & Molly Star Melissa McCarthy 'Shocked' by Cancellation: 'I Would Have Done This for 50 More Years'

Five days after her co-star confirmed Mike & Molly‘s cancellation on Facebook, Melissa McCarthy is chiming in with her own (somewhat surprising) thoughts on the matter.

“Shocked” and “heartbroken” were among the words employed by McCarthy in a tweet on Monday afternoon, in which she referred to the cast of Mike & Molly as her second family and claimed she would have continued with the show for five more decades if CBS would let her.

Read McCarthy’s full tweet below:

Her words came on the heels of actress Rondi Reed — who plays Mike’s mother Peggy — posting about the series’ premature conclusion on Facebook.

McCarthy’s on-screen husband Billy Gardell also recently confirmed the news on Twitter, thanking fans for their support over the years:

Your thoughts on Mike & Molly‘s cancellation? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. John Jacob says:

How can she be shocked when by all accounts she was the one who wanted out? Oh celebrities, you never let me down with your PR stuff.

• webly3 says:

Actually, Melissa McCarthy is not the reason behind the cancellation. McCarthy always balanced her movie career around the show. Unfortunately, the show has struggled in ratings for the last few seasons especially with all of CBS’s more successful comedies.

• j says:

Why would you automatically trust rumors instead of what the actual person says?

• Nikki says:

Because that’s the world we live in today unfortunately. People are all too keen to believe what they read on the tabloids or see in the “news.” I tried explaining to my hs aged niece that you can’t take everything you read on the covers of magazines as the hard truth and she said she knows that but it’s more fun to believe it and gossip with your friends about it. WOW! Sad state we’re in in today’s world.

• Dv says:

What were her direct quotes that she wanted out?

• AJ says:

@John Jacob – You read a rumor online and it’s true? Shame on you…

• js says:

You mean by no accounts…

2. Ken says:

“Her words came on the heels of actress Rondi Reed — who plays Molly’s mother Peggy — posting about the series’ premature conclusion on Facebook.”

Um, Swoozie Kurtz played Molly’s mom. Rondi Reed played Mike’s mom.

3. CAN says:

I’m not surprised at all, they made Molly a completely unlikable character.

4. GraceM says:

Maybe Melissa will have time now for Gilmore Girls.

5. Nina says:

Mike and Molly cancelled? I’m dumbstruck. What is wrong with CBD

6. Sam says:

I think it’s sad that the network has yet to comment. The show didn’t break any barriers or boundaries. It is just, simply put – a belly laugh show. I howl with laughter watching this show. It is the classic sitcom. This and Last Man Standing on ABC are the classic, multi-cam sitcoms that the world grew up watching. These are family shows that people can watch with their kids and not worry about too inappropriate content. I hope CBS knows what it’s doing because Life in Pieces is not getting good ratings (and it feels like such a disjointed show), 2 Broke Girls is down in the ratings, The Odd Couple will likely crash when it comes back, and who knows what will happen with Angel from Hell. The Big Bang Theory can only do so much.

• Debbie says:

Sam I agree with you wholeheartedly this was a great show for everyone. I don’t know what CVS was thinking. This was a show that everybody in the family could enjoy.

• I agree with you totally, Sam. I like this sitcom because it also shows less than perfect size men and women living and dealing with their problems in the real world. Sometimes Molly can be a little shrewish and this could be toned down a little; however, this comedy always keeps me laughing. Don’t like “Life in Pieces” nor the remake of “The Odd Couple;” therefore, I don’t watch them. You’re correct in your statement about “The Big Bang Theory!” Don’t care for or watch “Mom” either. Too much complaining about their relationships with their various mothers. We watch 2 Broke Girls because it’s on around the same time as some of the other programs we watch. The premise of this show is wearing thin; however, it’s still funny at times.

• Kathy Littlefield says:

I love mike and molly. They keep stupid reality shows on and get rid of shows that make you laugh.Mike and Molly is a show that was like Happy Days in the1970s. It would be so cool for them to bring it back. The way the world is today we need to have a good laugh. BRING BACK MIKE AND MOLLY

• justsayon says:

That’s why shows like this are increasingly unpopular. A certain type of person likes brain dead humour. You know, the kind that you sit at home and think “i could have written that!”. And these people like tgis easy humour cause they don’t have to think to “get” it. And they don’t really have to pay attention to the show cause you don’t really miss anything if you’re doing something else at the same time. Now. Some of us are bored with the same old Jones over and over. Some of us like to be challenged when we watch tv. I don’t want to be able to guess where the story’s going. And i don’t laugh if i see the punch line a million miles away. We don’t always want the same old same old. But
        You know. Different strokes.

• joann.heft@sbcglobal.net says:

I totally agree with you Kathy

• Cary says:

I love M&M, and I love Life In Pieces. Very different but to really enjoy both. Sad to see Mike and Molly go

• Jake says:

You talk about family shows, then mention Two Broke Girls? – It’s nothing but continuous lame sleazy sex jokes from start to finish.

• Mary says:

I also agree wholeheartedly with you!!!!!!!! And ditto for Last Man Standing – LOVE that show too. We need humor like Tim and Melissa and Billy….

• Joe says:

Yeah, the marijuana drug use and a cop turning a blind eye was family friendly and not too innapropriate.

• Jennifer says:

Are you talking on Last Man? May not be ***my*** too family friendly, but keep in mind, they’re in CO – and it’s legal.

• Heather says:

No, Joe is talking about how Mike Biggs is a police officer and his now sister-in-law is constantly high on marijuana but he keeps turning a blind eye about it instead of busting her for it. Really I would question the family friendly nature of the show people keep referring to. I never saw this as something I would watch with kids around. I mean there is a little racism in the show, there are a lot of jokes about being fat and the negative connotations applied to that, there are a lot of sex jokes, jokes about being drunk all the time, the mom always talks about having sex in different places. In the first episode of this new season she is flashing the neighbors. I love this show a lot but I would definitely not call this a family show. I will be sad to see it go though.

• Charles Alu says:

Right on!!!
      It IS the last classic comedy show on TV… Even the Big Bang which I watch occasionally didn’t pack the punch that M&M has .. Due to the surrealism vs real life comedy.!!
      Who is making these decisions needs a shrink !!

7. Nikki says:

I found this show a little late but my boyfriend and I LOVE it! We watch all the new episodes and the reruns are always on our tvs. Super bummed to hear this news! I hope another station or Netflix picks this show up!!!!!

• C. Urquhart says:

I’m as surprised as the cast! The writers gave us genius wit, and I watch the reruns until i know I know the scripts by heart. Hard to believe, there weren’t enough viewers.

• shannalc says:

I can’t believe that there weren’t enough viewers either. I’m waiting for the day when every show is “reality” television. I’ll cancel by cable and buy box sets of good old fashioned sitcoms. My money would be better spent. I hope so much that another fantastic network will pick them up.

• DPNY says:

From what I understand, they cancelled due to timeslot conflict – no open slot in their programming! Still, why M&M?

8. They should shop the series around to Hulu or Netflix. Melissa is a huge star now and could bring new subscribers to either service.

9. Debbie says:

I don’t believe it, my favorite sitcom ever, watch the repeats over and over and still laugh. I will miss watching Mike and Molly, it was the best!

10. Deborah Cohen says:

I can’t believe they canceled Mike and Molly. There are so many other stupid sitcoms on CBS that should be canceled. That was a great show. I don’t know what the powers that be were thinking. This is absolutely ridiculous.

11. C says:

Mike and Molly was the best, adult, sitcom I ever watched. Quick humor, human reactions, funny characters, what a shame. I would have liked to see Melissa’s weight loss as we did Billy’s. The best and intelligent sitcoms are always canceled and replaced by 1990s humor and black families. Shame, a real shame.

• Mimi says:

What is the problem with having a show about Black families? One has nothing to do with the other. Mike and Molly should not have been cancelled because it a funny show. PERIOD. BTW, CBS has ZERO Black family shows.

• suzl says:

Mike’s partner Carl and his wonderful Grandma, their friend Samuel…just an observation.

• Mike M says:

Thank you suzl, you beat me to what I was racing to add… honestly time and time again over the past 5 years those three characters have so often provided the biggest laughs of the entire darn show.

• Jordan says:

That’s a really dumb StAtement. This isn’t an intelligent sitcom. And, there’s one black family show on tv. One. Blackish how are black family shows replacing your shows?

• Pat says:

I cannot believe what you typed as your comment. By adding that next to the last sentence is down right racist. Your last sentence should refer to you. Meaning it is a shame, a real shame that you would post such nonsense.

• Eve says:

Your last comment was utterly stupid, and racist. Make sense when you talk, idiot.

12. Brenda giacco says:

Why do they keep cancelling the good show? If they cancel this show and bring either another cop show or reality TV family I’m going to stop watching CBS!!

13. Deb says:

I can’t believe they are canceling this show. My husband and I loved it. Get rid of that stupid Two Broke Girls. That’s a piece of crap show if I ever saw one. What class of people watch that show. Mike and Molly was a great comedy. Rated right up there with Big Bang Theory.

14. Mak says:

With Mike & Molly essentially cancelled…I’m guessing there’s hope for Life in Pieces to be renewed.

15. Nina says:

Mike and Molly cancelled? I’m dumbstruck. What is wrong with CBS? Melissa McCarthy is the funniest thing to happen to comedy since Tina Fey. I just don’t believe a woman who has been as loyal to real women in fashion and her choice of tv roles (the show tastefully andy hysterically deals with eating addictions) would leave a show like Mike & Molly willingly. Give this show another chance. Its already building a cult following in repeats (WUPA) in Atlanta. This show has an AMAZING cast , excellent writers and is just howl out loud funny. We need laughter. We need these characters..and we need this show to stay on the air.

• Janet says:

Nina, you are right, I watch the repeats on the CW Monday – Saturday from 7-8. I have watched every show and still continue to laugh out loud at all the jokes on the show. What is wrong with CBS, lack of humor? If a show isn’t bringing in tons of money or every other line is sexually loaded then it must not be a good show. Mike & Molly deals with a lot of issues that affect everyday people, overweight issues, dieting and trying to conceive a child. They make light of some of these difficult and serious issues, not in an ignorant way like some of the other shows on CBS, i.e. 2 Broke Girls.

16. J says:

Because CBS doesn’t “own” Mike and Molly(WBTV does) the network won’t make any money off of the syndication package. The network can only make renewal or cancellation decisions based on ratings, production costs etc and add in the fact that(atleast from what I’ve read)Melissa and possibly other actors contracts were up after this season it probably wasn’t worth the renewal

17. Mr. Tran K says:

Really hope Melissa McCarthy would enjoy pursuing her ongoing movie career after Mike & Molly is done for good.

18. azmataz says:

Is it just me who thinks this is PERFECT timing??? Now she can use her Mike and Molly hours to film the Gilmore Girls Specials

19. DGL says:

Nooooooo! Say it ain’t so! Where’s the petition to keep this shower on the air?

20. Beth says:

This is the only honest family show I have seen. Most families are a lot like Mike & Molly. I waited for this every season. So upset.

21. I m sad love the show carl is so funny and mikes mom is perfect . I MOLLY AND MIKE IA down to earth show makes me laugh . i watch reruns every night i will miss a decent show,

22. sherri says:

we, my husband and myself, will really miss the show. all the act worked so well together. it’s one of the funniest shows. I also wish the could go 5 decades more. thanks for the laughter!

23. Beth says:

So sad that Mike and Molly is being cancelled!! Love the show – love the WHOLE cast! I’ll miss the belly laughs! I have to say though I don’t understand or appreciate the comment about “black shows.” Offensive and ridiculous!

24. Michele says:

I can’t believe that this is the last season of Mike and Molly. It’s in good taste, well written and so funny. I can’t wait to watch it every Monday night (when it aired) and it set the tone for my week. It put a smile on my face and made me feel good. There isn’t too many of these sitcoms left that are in good taste and not ronchy at all. I don’t have one particular fav character, they are all fantastic actors. I am not clear why this show is cancelled but if it is just network cancelling it to make room for something else get rid of some of the reality type junk. The news is truly disheartening.

25. CBS posted this March 11, 2015, when it announced the renewal of Mike and Molly:

“Your favorite series has been renewed for its sixth season, which will run from 2015-2016! Recently named the highest-rated scripted show among adults 18-49 on Mondays in its live-same-day ratings, Mike & Molly, has solidified a devoted fan base that excitedly tune in each week for new episodes.

The comedic series, starring Billy Gardell as Mike and Academy Award nominee and Emmy Award winner Melissa McCarthy as Molly, has kept followers laughing since its first season on the air. We can only imagine what sorts of fun is in store for season 6.

The show currently ranks first in its Monday (8:30-9:00 PM) time period in viewers (10.35m) and adults 25-54 (3.7/09), and second in adults 18-49 (2.5/09). Compared to the year ago time period, Mike & Molly is up +20% in viewers and +6% in adults 25-54.”

So, exactly what happened from then to now that caused them to move it to Wednesday from Monday (where it was doing so well) and reduce its episodes, and give up on the show and actors?

Baffling

• Mike M says:

Not quite so baffling when elsewhere in TV news just today on Deadline (TV Line’s sister site) is an article interviewing M&M’s creator Chuck Lorre entitled Dick Wolf & Chuck Lorre: TV Industry Now Changing At Breakneck Pace. The landscape of “things TV” is now very different even in just that 6 months.

26. Gregory Wilson says:

This show is very funny not dirty or embarrassing to watch. The dialogue is tops and every actor is great. Keep the show.

27. Vince P says:

I hope another network picks up the series, if not thats too bad. Anptjer good show gone. I hope CBS knows how many viewers they will loose our household being one of the many. Stupid move.

28. Barbara Adkins says:

I cannot believe Mike and Molly were canceled! tI at was the most honest comedy on tv and it is a serious loss for us that appreciate shows that are not all about sex and sick references to sex. We will miss them but will see them on the reruns. May they last as long as NCIS. !

29. Judi frank says:

My husband and I can’t believe Mike and Molly will be cancelled. We love the show as nd think it’s so funny and the chemistry seems so good. Not many shows which make u laugh

30. jan says:

Really sad great show myaybe some other network will pick it up hopefully

31. DS says:

Any luck with petitions? I hate to see this show go, so few shows worth watching. I wish another network would show up and take the show like the Mindy Project….Such a sad day! What a great waste!

32. Peggy Capito says:

This is a shame. In these times we need this show and others like them, so you can laugh and destress and for 30 minutes without thinking about all the crime in this world and on TV.

33. michele nj says:

Can’t believe this.one of the funniest shows in years. Hope they reconsider

34. sherri says:

Loved Mike and Molly, please reconsider

35. Debra eilson says:

I can not believe they cancelled Mike and Molly. The entire cast is amazing! I am so disappointed. Let’s make more reality shows, ugh, what are they thinking! Shame on the network.

36. Scream Queen says:

Lol why do all these comments seem suspiciously similar?

37. Nicole Reedy says:

Just can not believe Mike & Molly has been cancelled! I do not even know how to comprehend the news. Was shocked when I heard the Golden Globe nominations & had never heard of any of the shows! I am 65 & I guess from another generation but find what is known as great tv shows now very sad!!! Just shocked!!!!

38. Lori Meyer says:

It sucks. It’s one of the best comedies in a long time

39. Judy barlow says:

One of the funniest shows on TV and you cancel it? Doesn’t make sense. The world needs a good comedy.

40. Deanne Randall says:

Some of the other sitcoms are crap. I want Mike and Molly back

41. Joyce says:

My husband and I never missed one episode of Mike and Molly. Every one of the people on this show were outstanding in their roles. We looked forward to watching it, just relaxing and having many good laughs. We don’t care for any of the other “comedy shows” on TV. We shall surely miss it!!!

42. Kathleen Enokian says:

Stupid of the network to do this. If anyone there has a brain, they will stop this cancellation.

43. David Hagerman says:

CBS is infamous for cancelling great shows prematurely – should cancel “2 Broke Girls” instead of “Mike and Molly”! Morons!

44. Jill Miller says:

I seriously can’t believe CBS cancelled Mike and Molly but they keep the STUPID show “Supergirl” on! I’m going to have to start looking for some decent shows on other stations.

45. chadcronin says:

I am not more upset than ever. I am thinking CBS boycott of new shows after Angel from Hell as I had already planned on watching it for Jane Lynch. If they are gonna treat Melissa, the rest of the cast, and the fans this way, then they don’t deserve our viewership and to make money off of us. Boo them big time. They still have time if they want to order another season or order the back 9, but they won’t. I wish more people would stand up to this kind of shady business dealing. The show does decent in ratings. Deserves a longer run!

• chadcronin says:

*now more upset than ever. It doesn’t make sense. The show was doing decent and they have been making us wait longer and longer each season and we all gladly keep coming back. I am glad the word got out about this. They need to reconsider

46. Martha Cole says:

I will miss Melissa McCarthy and Billy Gardell. They worked together so well. And Rondi Reed and Swoosie Kurtz are hilarious, too. CBS had better think this over. Get rid of 2 Broke Girls. That show isn’t even funny.

47. Anne Lemieux says:

I am really upset about the cancellation of my favorite show…CBS…your line up is not good enough to taje a risk like this. A show that makes people laugh…you take away…bad decision. Lost respect for CBS.

48. CHR says:

CBS is apparently run by idiots! One of the best shows they had!

49. Larry Staley says:

What a crime dropping this comedy it is the best show on TV since Andy of Mayberry

50. June Thibodeau says:

at 1st I thought just another romance comedy with fat people, but once I started watching it, I feel in love. The characters were fresh n funny, struggling with every day life, like real people. I really am going to miss the show and wonder if Mike n Molly were ever going to have that baby or if Carl n Victoria were?

• There were so many more story lines they could have kept going for a long time. The only thing I didn’t like was when they made her a writer. The school teacher made her more middle class America

• cindy mortka says:

I can’t believe that CBS cancelled Mike and Molly. TV really sucks and it’s hard to find something good to watch. Everytime I find something I like CBS cancels it . Shame on you CBS. W.hen you have a great show like Mike and Molly LEAVE IT ALONE.