Memories From the Set
CCH Pounder NCIS Shield Anarchy

NCIS: New Orleans' CCH Pounder Looks Back on The Shield, SOA, ER and Other Roles (Including the 'Game Changer')

This Tuesday on the NCIS: New Orleans midseason finale (CBS, 9/8c), Dr. Loretta Wade swings into protective mama bear mode — “hands on hip” and all, says CCH Pounder — when her son Danny emerges as a suspect in a string of Christmas burglaries that have just turned deadly.

“Danny (played by Christopher Meyer) is going to be in the thick of it,” Pounder previews. “It’s about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, profiling… that whole ball of wax.”

As Danny’s seeming complicity is explored, the Wade-centric episode, titled “Blue Christmas,” will afford the New Orleans production a chance to deftly touch on the city’s shortcomings in public schooling and other sensitive issues, Pounder says — but “in a loving way, instead of an admonishing, ‘This is what’s wrong with your city.’

“Through Danny’s character,” she adds, “we get to have a few more glimpses into New Orleans and some of the difficulties the city has had.”

A four-time Emmy Award nominee, Pounder of course has dealt with all manner of “difficulties” in the span of her 40-year TV career, from babes behind bars to unethical Strike Team members, from strange happenings at Warehouse 13 to the bloody exploits of a biker club.

In the slideshow below (or click here for direct access), the actress reflects on several of her TV roles, including the one she “hated” plus a real “game changer” for her career.

1. ? says:

As far as I’m concerned she is Amanda Waller.

• Joey says:

I’m forever bitter that Viola Davis was cast as Amanda Waller. Granted, I’m a bit Davis fan, but Pounder knows the character intimately.

2. Jerry says:

Great interview Matt! Keep these “Memories from the Set” articles coming…they are so interesting. Thanks again!

3. Lambsilencer says:

Interesting bit about “Millennium”. Chris Carter told me at a film festival in the summer that he was constantly surprised at how dark they could go with the show, and how lenient FOX was in that regard. He said that every week, they came up with something grimmer and expected the network to complain, but it simply never happened.

4. NDFan says:

Thanks for the interview! I love CCH Pounder. I confess I wasn’t aware of her at all until The Shield but I’ve followed her ever since. She is fantastic.

5. anon says:

These articles are so much fun! And even though there wasn’t any in this one, I do kind of love how many actors have subtly shaded their former costars/bosses.

6. John NYC says:

Liked her on WareHouse 13, hadn’t seen her anywhere else.

7. arial2 says:

It’s interesting that she liked her role in Millenium least of all, because she was outstanding in that role and I always remember that when I see her in any other series. It WAS such a dark show; maybe her honest reaction made her great for the role. Great cast, overall. Loved Lance Henriksen’s and Terry O’Quinn’s characters.

8. Drew says:

She really should have been cast as Amanda Waller for the new DC movies. She fits the role perfectly.

Millennium should be streaming somewhere by now. Why isn’t it?!

9. herman1959 says:

In 1987, I went to a small art house movie screen to see Bagdad Cafe, and I’ve loved CCH Pounder ever since. This episode is a treat, and I’ll be watching. Yes, she would have been the perfect Amanda Waller per the comics, but I’m sure that Viola will be great.