Golden Globes 2016: The 47 Biggest Snubs — Leftovers, Kimmy Schmidt, black-ish, Heughan, Camil and More!

Out with the old — and even the relatively new!

That seemed to be the edict for the 2016 Golden Globes nominations — which look mighty different than how they did a year ago.

Take the Best Drama Series race, for example, where four out of five nominees from 2015 found themselves as overlooked as burlap turtlenecks in Dolly Parton’s closet this time around.

Team TVLine compiled a list of Golden Globe faves who were unexpectedly shunned during Thursday morning’s announcement (Danes! Spader! The Affair!)  as well as those shows and actors who really should’ve gotten some love from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Wu! Theroux! The Americans!) to compile a list of the 47 most egregious snubs.

Check out the gallery below to see our picks for the most eyebrow-raising omissions — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments and tell us which nomination failures stung you the most.

1. Courtney says:

First snubs that come to mind: Sam Heughan (that is THE biggest snub. I was so sure once Outlander got all of those other nominations….which I am so happy about), The Americans (I’m sadly used to it), Krysten Ritter, Lena Heady, and The Affair (cast members included).

2. Rafael says:

Wow. If it wasn’t horrible that Hannibal got snubbed from the golden globes, it got snubbed from the Snubs list!

3. Ken says:

You forgot the brilliant performance by Billie Piper this year on Penny Dreadful. Her monologue with the monster was a sad, terrifying and beautifully acted and executed diatribe about female life in those days.

4. Neemo says:

No love for Eden freakin Sher and The Middle, per usual. Thats a shame, really.

5. Tod Shannon Castle says:

I’m shocked Sam Heughan was overlooked for his superior performance in Outlander on Starz.

6. wrstlgirl says:

Andrew Lincoln for The Walking Dead should be on here.

7. Bwhit says:

Emmy Rossum’s constant snubs for Shameless always annoy me. I’m now getting annoyed that they didn’t glance Jonathan Tucker’s way for his role in Kingdom and I’ll add to that Frank Grillo! These two bring it every week and deserve a nomination in my opinion.

8. Ingmar Bocker says:

Ellen Pompeo. No bigger underrated actress out there imo.

• Jane says:

Ellen Pompeo is not that good. Really, there are better actors on Grey’s which is why she never won an award. Maybe Meredith being such a horrible character ingluences the decision.

• Anna says:

She really isn’t. I might be in the minority in that I love Meredith and find her dark and twisty (anti)heroine leading lady thing interesting, but it’s not because of Pompeo’s acting. She’s decent and can pull off some of the emotional stuff really well at times, but she’s really not that underrated.

9. Getting on -HBO is great show WHY

10. Lisa says:

Documentary Now! (and Bill Hader especially)
    Iain de Caestecker from Agents of SHIELD (I know, it won’t happen but damn he’s just so good it’s such a shame)

11. Laura E. says:

You left off Amy Poehler? One final snub.

12. Terri says:

To me, the biggest snub was Sam Heughan. I was thrilled that the show, Catriona Balfe & Tobias Menzies were nominated. But Sam Heughan gave some of the most amazing, brilliant, heartbreaking performances I’ve ever seen. I truly don’t know what the powers that be were thinking.

• Deborah says:

I absolutely agree! I was thrilled that Outlander, Catriona Balfe, and Tobias Menzies were nominated, but Sam Heughan clearly deserved to be nominated for his exceptional acting as well.

• Mary says:

Totally agree!:)

• Alichat says:

Sam Heughan not being nominated makes no sense to me. Honestly, I expected that they would overlook Tatiana Maslany for Orphan Black and Keri and Matthew on The Americans….it has just happened so many times. But when Caitriona (nice butchering of her name there America Ferrera…LOL) and Tobias were nominated, I was sure we’d hear Sam’s name. I will be shaking my head for days about that one.

13. Kerry Washington, How to Get Away with Murder, Ellen Pompeo, this list goes on… I am shocked

14. Steven says:

Totally forgot about UnReal! Shiri in particular deserved a nomination.

15. CactusRose says:

OK, everyone has their favorite “snub.” But for me, it was all I could do just to scroll through the pics, what with all the stupid ads making the screen jump around like a kid on a trampoline. All right already, we get it! You have to support the website with advertising. But so many different ones? Sheesh it’s SO annoying. Charge more and get bigger, static ads. I would NEVER patronize any of those advertisers just for that reason!

16. ? says:

But is it really a snub when the nominees are determined by whoever sucks up to the 50 people that make up the “Hollywood Foreign Press” the most?

17. 47 snubs and you still leave out Melissa Benoist for Supergirl? I defy anyone to defend this BS-ery…

18. Mary says:

Kerry Washington? Eh, no, at least not for me…

19. Liz says:

SAM HEUGHAN!! I mean, come on! The show, the lead actress, Tobias, but NOT SAM??!!!

20. johnhelvete says:

Downton Abbey (really??), Penny Dreadful, Unreal and The Good Wife, so basically you wanted an entirely different Best Drama field. I think the problem with snub lists, journalists pick too many snubs in each category.

21. Spence says:

AMY POEHLER AND PARKS AND RECREATION!!! Didn’t get noms and now they don’t even get covered as a snub… Sad.

22. Anne says:

Snubbed Sam heughan and nodded balfe who cannot act her way out of a paper bag? And Menzies? Gee whiz flash them a full frontal next season Sam cause apparently that’s “acting”.

23. Et al. says:

I’m disappointed HBO wasn’t willing to pay for some nominations for The Leftovers. Hopefully they decided to save the money to fund a third season.

24. TVPeong says:

Black-ish is one of the best comedies on TV right now.
    Remember the days when comedies were actually about making people laugh. Now, they seem more like dramedies.

• Morris Floyd says:

YES I DO! Not 1 “comedy” on the air today elicits even a chuckle from me. There’s a huge difference in comedy, and just plain silly with canned laughter. I’ll continue to watch Carol Burnett and Grouchy on You Tube. REAL comedy!

25. Guy says:

Did no one watch The Americans last year?! It was one the best seasons of a TV show in recent memory, easily one of the best things on tv right now. Yet it was completely snubbed by the Emmys, SAG, and now the Globes. Ridiculous.

26. Chaya says:

I love that you put Titus’s Burgess first – he was the highlight if the show to me. As for ‘Scandal,’ I think it’s an over-rated soap opera. Several of the shows on your list – like the Americans and Scandal – should have been retired after the second season because the stories just became too shark-ish just to find some way to keep the story going.

27. Lotte says:

William H. Macy?! He is without doubt an amazing actor, but it is once again the young cast (lead by the amazing Emmy Rossum) who get snubbed. They are stealing the show and saving it from all the ridiculous Frank madness (which is IMO the weakest part of the show) and Emmy, Jeremy, Noel, Cameron and Co don’t even get a footnote when it comes to award recognition.

28. Margo says:

The Golden Globe nominations definitely did better than the SAGs from yesterday, but I do agree that there was some noticeable snubs. I am just so happy to see The Good Wife, Homeland, Mad Men get shut out…..enough of them already, so many other great shows and talent. Still….no Tatiana Maslany?! How is she not getting recognized for killing it season after season on Orphan Black smh It’s always a disappointment to see Shameless not get any recognition as well because that is a great show with an equally STRONG cast. And no Blackish?! First season was awesome, second season has been even better….snub snub snub!

As much as I really loved Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter SLAYED), was it’s released date not to late to be considered?

29. SayNay says:

How is Downton Abbey on this list? It hasn’t been must see tv for a while. Plus it sucked up a lot of critical nomination real estate for other shows with SAG this week. Apart from the typical nomination politics, the big (but good) problem is that there are too many good shows and great performances, but not enough accolades to go around.

30. Neva says:

Show Me A Hero

31. niloofar says:

First Scandal deserves getting shut out worst writing direction on TV, how many times can Olitz breakup in the fall fianale or season finale until no one cares.
    Second no one from Homeland acting’s been flawless this season, especially Rupert Friend.

32. Susan Dietz says:

William Petersen ‘Manhattan’; Andrew Lincoln, Melissa McBride ‘Walking Dead’; The Walking Dead; Tea Leoni, Tim Daly ‘Madam Secretary’.

33. collectcall says:

47 ‘BIGGEST’ snubs is almost literally a whole new nomination list. They aren’t all huge snubs. Why not make it like two per category rather than essentially naming every Drama that is on the upside of average?

34. Joyce Chico says:

I thought for sure Justin Theroux would get a nomination for his low key, tortured, and always riveting performances on The Leftovers. What a shameful omission. The episode International Assassin was the best television I have ever seen. The writing and acting for the series 2nd season were a real tour de force and deserve recognition.

35. James Spader for the Blacklist. He is probably the best character actor of all time, yet he’s snubbed? where’s the logic?

36. Tina Slagle says:

TATIANA MASLANY-Orphan Black all of her 6+characters are completely unique. (Taraji Henson)plays the same character in EVERYTHING SHES IN!!!?!?!? Can you say token?

37. I adore that Mr. Robot got so much love. My favorite show of 2016.

38. Debbie says:

Sam Heughan should be winning, not just nominated, for an amazing performance on Outlander!!
    Also Justin T. Should be nom’d for Leftovers!!
    Catch up GGs!!!

39. Malissa R. says:

In absolutely infuriated by the Sam Hueghan snub. What does he have to do? Also not happy with the snub of UnREAL and Penny Dreadful. Great shows.

40. Mary Powers says:

Penny Dreadful and most egregiously Sam Heughan were robbed, not overlooked. Penny Dreadful with a cast of unbelievably talented actors should have been a front runner. There is also no excuse for Sam not at the head of the pack. Did any of the voters watch the mid season finale? Even Clive Owen and Jon Voight have performed at the top of their games. It’s simply inexcusable that the show and these actors were robbed.