The Flash Season 2 Spoilers

The Flash Recap: Bombs Away — Plus, Who's in Cahoots With [Spoiler]?

This Tuesday on The Flash‘s midseason finale, Iris dropped a truth bomb while The Trickster traded in a far more lethal kind. Plus, at episode’s end, Zoom played, “Let’s make a deal” with a familiar face.

One thing is for certain: Fans of Iris West this week got perhaps the biggest gift of all, as after instances of a scene here and there not making it to broadcast, Miss West was well accounted for, leaning on Barry, for a change, to help her through a difficult time.

For amidst the joy and cheer of Central City’s holiday season, Iris decided she couldn’t keep bottled up inside anymore the secret she’s been keeping, that her mother had a son, Wally. Barry advises iris to tell Joe the truth, that it won’t kill him. Besides, she won’t have to do it alone, as Barry will be at her side.

Suffice to say, the bombshell the-flash-season-2-photos (12)blew Joe back some. As he would later share with Barry, he feels guilt for having turned his back on Francine all those years ago, unwittingly leaving Wally without a father figure, someone to throw a football with. “That poor boy paid the price” for Joe’s self-preservation, he sadly observes.

Joe winds up reconnecting with Francine (off-screen) and learned that he needed to forgive her, for everyone’s sake. And at episode’s end, the West family Christmas celebration grows by one head when Wally comes a-knocking, recognizing it’s probably a bad time, but welcomed nonetheless, with open arms.

The villainy of the episode left me a bit, yes, cold, though not for any lack of (enormous) zeal brought to the proceedings by Mark Hamill. The Trickster is just so unhinged, he is almost uninteresting. Almost. Captain Cold was on hand for only a bit and seemingly just to set up his not-a-hero heroism in Legends of Tomorrow, though I appreciate that his cold gun now has a dead man’s switch.

And while this marked The Flash’s third tussle with a weather Wizard, that particular baddie’s presence was more in service of the Patty character, offering her a chance to “legally” exact revenge for her father’s murder during a bank heist. But when Patty is presented with The FLash Recap— and jumps at — the chance to put Mardon down, The Flash (whom she had clamped down with the metahuman trap, ouch) counsels/begs her not to, coming oh-so-close to divulging his identity in that effort.

Patty heeds the speedster’s advice to not let Mardon take any more from her than he already has. Afterward, she shares with The Flash that which she was unable to confide in boyfriend Barry — that she actually holds herself responsible for her father’s death, because it was her skipping out on her job at the shoe store than landed Dad at the bank that fateful day. Later, at the West home, Patty hints to Barry that she is ready to open up to him about her difficult past. After he puts on his matching reindeer sweater.

Taking a cue from Joe, Barry was also in a forgiving mood, “telling” Wells (or at least his out-of-earshot Earth-Two counterpart) that he cannot let his hate for our Harrison inhabit his heart anymore, if he is to have the happiness that the post-mortem video said would forever elude him. So, Barry forgives his Wells.

His opinion on “Harry,” though, seems destined to change for the much worse.

For in the final tag, we learn of the deal that Zoom has been trying to broker with Wells. As the scientist has surmised, the sinister speedster wants The Flash to get faster and stronger — “You’re fattening him up like a Christmas goose!” — because Zoom plans to rob The Flash of all his power. And Zoom wants Wells to help him do it. In trade, Harrison’s daughter Jesse will live. And after giving Wells a quick taste of what a reunion with his daughter can be like, Wells signs on. “I’ll do it,” he agrees. “I’ll help you steal The Flash’s speed.”

What did you think of “Running to Stand Still”?

1. herman1959 says:

I graded it a C – it was OK, but I sort of feel like the episode was one big MacGuffin. Although I did LOVE the Iris/BarryJoe/Wally parts (and crazy Mark Hamill), I felt like half of it could have been cut with the same result. Too bad we have to wait until 1/19 for the next episode.

• I actually thought this episode expertly built to some nice pay offs in the end, soo all the episodes felt essential!

• Phoenix5634 says:

I agree, it was a very well done episode. It gave a lot insight into Patty’s story, and developed the West family further, even abit of Iris/Barry foreshadowing, plus tied up( literally lol) most of the escaped Rogues. Just gas man and the red eye manipulator guy left now right? And even developed Jay and Caitlin abit. And then Zoom and Wells storylines. Joe was the real star tonight, great acting job on his part.

• Bill says:

I enjoyed it as well. Barry and Patty have such great chemistry on screen. I hope the writers don’t decide to screw with it and break them up or kill her off, just because “it’s not in the comic books”.

• tvjunkie says:

Yeah he has more romantic chemistry with Patty than he’s ever had with Iris.

• Justin says:

@tvjunkie Barry didn’t really have any romantic chemistry with Iris because Iris wasn’t thirsty for him like Patty is. Kinda hard to have chemistry with someone when they’re not willing to play along.

2. Wee says:

It was okay but I wish we could see more Iris. Give her an actual plot. I loved her interactions with Barry tonight. I wish we could see more of that. I also wish The Flash would stop taking shots at Arrow. It seems every week they take a Dig at Oliver Queen saying he doesn’t save the city or he’s crazy or psychotic or whatever. It’s not funny. It’s actually quite annoying.

• herman1959 says:

Actually, that last part is a joke the EPs/writers (of both shows) play on themselves. Plus, if you remember the Flash action figure that Iris bought is the same one that Oliver’s son had in the Arrow portion of last week’s crossover.

3. Mik says:

I gave it a C, it wasn’t as good as last year’s mid-season finale, and I wanted more Wally. The Joe and Iris stuff was good, though. And I enjoyed Harry, he was pretty funny this week.

4. Lily says:

The Joe/Barry/Iris family stuff was really good. They should do more of that. Didn’t care about Patty (but I think her story is wrapping up soon, so I’m hanging on for that). Never liked the Trickster much, he’s just too hammy.

5. Jeff hunter says:

Hamill,did an excellent job tonight,we saw a lot of joker in him tonight loved it!jeff

6. James D says:

Hey Universe, thanks for blessing us with Mark Hamill you get a thousand Christmas cookies for your efforts. Liked the episode a lot, but the Wells thing seems like an empty threat I doubt he will follow through with it. and the one scene with Wally West felt a little underwhelming.

7. Skittles&Bits says:

The West/Allen bits were in fine form. I absolutely enjoyed it. Jesse L. Martin always manages to turn on the water works, he’s so brilliant. I have a feeling him giving Barry that family watch is going to turn out to be a point of contention between Barry and Wally. The showrunners are such smarmy teases to give us Wally in the last 10 seconds. I kind of saw the Zoom/Wells team up coming, but the way it played out was quite satisfying; seeing Wells so torn between his daughter and his new attachment to the Flash gang (I get the feeling Wells2’s fave is Cisco also haha) was brilliant. I hate Snart/Weather Wonky/Trickster. It’s just so corny and the acting always seems so OTT and hammy. Otherwise pretty good episode. Gave it an A just for the West/Allen family bits and seeing Barry “fly”.

8. Lulu says:

Felt a little rushed. They tell Joe about Wally and then he’s there, and we see Patty’s darker side and then it’s resolved. No new threads really besides setting up Wally and Wells drama.

Looking forward to Wally, but tbh I’m more interested in stories involving Caitlin(a non-man revolving story), Cisco(he just going to play Phoebe all season?) and Iris(her story so far has been 5 minutes at the start and end of this half season). So tepidly looking forward to the second half of the season, lets give Jay a reason to be there and have Wally have an interesting yet small role. I’m willing to wait before Wally, Jesse, etc. fill my screen with speedsters.

9. Dj says:

I know Wells agreed to work with Zoom, but knowing Harry he is going to do everything in his power to find a way to stop(kill) Zoom.

10. Emily says:

It was one of the few episodes this season that felt like the magic of season one was recaptured. Loves seeing a few of the Rogues teamup, plus Cold being a teensy bit of a hero. And of course, I was so happy to see Iris actually get to talk about her feelings and lean on Barry. Wally’s arrival made everything worth it, but I can’t believe we have to wait at least a month to see him again!

11. Brianna M says:

I could’ve done with less Patty, honestly. We could’ve gotten a Francine/Joe scene instead and still gotten all the Patty stuff resolved. It was awesome to see Iris leaning on Barry for a change, glad you mentioned that! I loved the scene with Iris and Barry in the lab, Candice and Grant have great chemistry no matter what the scene calls for. That’s hard to find a lot of the time.

I need more Wally like I need air!! I can’t wait to see the West family dynamic and I hope Iris/Wally is well developed like they are in the comics.

Also, I wasn’t a fan of Trickster in his first episode even though I love Mark Hamill but I looooved him in this ep. So pleased with it. I’ll be happy when LOT airs and they can stop shoehorning things to forward that show (like Captain Cold’s whole plot this ep? lmao). I did like that he mentioned Iris’s writing though, that was cool since we never get to see it.

Grant, Candice and Jesse killed it in this episode. Every single scene they had was just great. I loved when Barry was “talking” to Harrison/Eobard and I just thought that was so well done/needed. I do wish the scene between Joe/Barry was actually between Joe/Iris though. I think Iris needs to hear that Joe was selfish with his lies and what is Francine to Barry? Nice scene but could’ve been better if it had been Iris.

Last midseason finale was better but I still enjoyed this one. Still could’ve done with less Patty though.

12. Gail says:

I would like to know the purpose of Jay Garrick. He doesn’t add anything to the plot except to be with Caitlin . We already knew that Zoom had stolen Jay’s speed so it wasn’t a surprise that he also wanted to steel Barry’s. Why haven’t the characters thought of that.

13. ChrisGa says:

I have to say, and I suspect I’ll be in the minority based on what I’ve seen on these boards, but I really like Patty. I was fully prepared to disregard her because I never found Shantel Vansanten compelling on One Tree Hill but I think she’s been a breath of fresh air here.

14. Phoenix5634 says:

Great episode! The West family scenes were nicely done, Joe was outstanding tonight! Where’s the egg nog this year? Lol. Wally showed up for about as long as I expected this episode, I’m still not sure if I’m excited about his character or not, becuz I like Barry as the flash, not really excited for a switch up at some point later on, if that’s where Wallys character is going, but as long as he’s not replacing Barry it should be good.
    The Trickster is a tad on the irritating side for my taste, I find his character very annoying, although he does do good acting…Haha, Snark had basically the same reaction I did when they broke the Trickster out of jail.
    And the deal Wells made with Zoom this episode.. Wells already wants the same thing as Zoom, the part for Barry to “fatten up” his speed force anyway. It wasn’t long ago E2 Wells said “the other Wells didn’t want Barry to reach his full potential, I do”. So he can defeat Zoom…Wells will probably just keep this a secret until Barry gets his speed closer to Zooms’, or Cisco vibes it off him or something… it was funny when Harry and Cisco nearly walked into each other, so clearly avoiding being vibed on lol.
    Great episode! Can’t wait for it to come back after winter break.

• Datya says:

Didn’t notice Wells avoiding Cisco, but the eggnog was certainly there – Joe asked Cisco is it was strong enough ;)

• Phoenix5634 says:

Didn’t notice the eggnog but I’m glad they put it in there, it’s a west family tradition now! haha an after the day Joe had, I bet he mixed it strong enough lol.

And it was just for a second when Wells just walked out of the other room at star labs, as Cisco was walking into the room. He kind of just scurried away, after sheepishly answering ciscos’ “how you doing” or whatever he said.

15. Phoenix5634 says:

Where’s Henry? Gone fishing again? Lol

16. T says:

Funny how Partty and Wells both figured out the same way where the Trickster was hiding. I am now wondering if there is some kind of connection here…

17. omnishambleonline says:

Am I the only one that thinks Zoom is going to end up being revealed as the Earth2 Joe….?

18. MysterLynch says:

I don’t buy it, Earth 1 Wells was a bastard in disguise. I don’t see Earth 2 Wells essentially doing the same.

19. Lily says:

I hope they don’t have Barry say he’s in love with Patty in the next episode. I don’t think I could stomach it.

• John NYC says:

Iris is moving on why shouldn’t Barry?

And they’re (Pattyband Barry) quite good together.

Because “comics”? Barry has twice changed the timeline: comics are out the window as mandatory story directors.

• Lily says:

He’s not supposed to love anyone but Iris. She’s his true love.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Could say the same about Iris being with Eddie last season. Why does she get to have a relationship and Barry doesn’t? We all want the west/allen romance, but just quit hating on Patty. You’ll probly like the next episode, looks like Zoom has her,

• Radha says:

I don’t understand why everyone says stop hating on Patty? Why should we when everyone hates on Iris? If Barry needs to be in a relationship, I much preferred him with Linda and wished they could have rekindled what they had. Here are my issues with Patty:

They rushed her interactions with Barry and had her come off as desperate every single time she saw him/ran into him. To me, Barry never seemed interested and she always seemed deflated by his lack of interest every time they parted ways. Joe had to be the one to hint at Patty liking Barry TO Barry. I don’t like seeing a male or female be that desperate in talking to a potential significant other. Here’s Barry and Cisco talking and Patty shows up with this overly bright grin and babbling about whatever and I KNOW it’s supposed to come off endearing and quirky and cute, but it just doesn’t. Not to me. I find her completely annoying and I don’t know, maybe people are into a couple being vomit inducing cute, but I want to see a story evolve and have both cute and angst and conflict and resolution in my romances. Everything is just fine and happy go lucky with Patty and Barry and even this episode where they had issues just seemed too little too late. I don’t like Patty in Joe’s scenes either as she doesn’t feel like a partner and more like a second daughter when they interact. Now she and Barry have gone a few dates and already they are calling each other girlfriend/boyfriend? How much time has passed? IF they could work their interactions more organically I’d like her as much as Linda. Instead everything about Patty just comes off too cute, too quirky, too forced. I want to like her but I just can’t. And when she is on my screen way more than the storyline I was actually interested in: Joe and Iris meeting Wally, well that’s also quite frustrating.

• John NYC says:

In the comics and that’s not the show.

OR is Joe’s “real” name Rudolph what with his being Wally’s father and all……

• Zerb says:

It’s probably best for you to finally come to grips with the fact that it will probably be awhile before Iris and Barry get together. For you to be obsessed enough for it to metaphorically make you sick is probably not good lol.

• Lily says:

I can handle them not being together, I just don’t want them to say he actually loves anyone else.

• Phoenix5634 says:

So Barry can’t say he loves someone else, but Iris can, an a lot of the time right in Barry’s face. Isn’t he supposed to be her true love to? So why didn’t it bother you when she said it to Eddie, in front of Barry most times. Was that hard to stomach too? If we’re being equal here..

20. This was a breath of fresh air after the lackluster crossover and all the lead up to it, the Rogues always have the best episodes!

21. Datya says:

Matt, Patty revealed that she felt guilty after Flash saved her from the dreidel trap (Chanukkah shoutout), which is how he knew how to talk her down from killing Mardon.
    And you left out the part where Joe gave Barry the watch he always wanted to give to a son, even after finding out about Wally!!! (Cue tears)
    Snart warning Barry seemed a bit pointless (although I do love their exchanges, especially Snart complementing Iris’s writing), because he didn’t actually tell them anything they didn’t already assume on their own (that Weather Wizard and Trickster want to kill Flash), and then there were no more scenes with him…
    The scene with Zoom and Wells was confusing – I originally thought it was a Flashback (pun intended), but based on their other scenes, I guess is was present day.
    My one wish for the next part of the season: Find a way for Grant Gustin to sing again!!

22. Does anyone else think that Zoom could be Barry’s doppleganger from Earth 2?

• Wee says:

My money is on him being Barry or Henry. Preferably Barry. They could do a lot with that. There’s a reason we haven’t seen his face yet and it’s been 9 episodes. It’s obviously somebody we know/have seen before

• Isobel says:

I’d go for Henry or Joe seeing the stand in actor seems physically bigger. going by the arrow in that world being played by Oliver’s father, it might be following the alternate flashpoint paradox storyline of Bruce’s dad being batman

23. jake says:

i like patty, she reminds me of chloe from smallville for some reason

24. Nilu says:

this is amazing show and i love the flash please tell me when the flash back on

25. Phoenix5634 says:

So what are the newest Zooms’ identity theories? And who is the hooded guy in the episode 10 preview?

26. Joey Padron says:

It was a good episode. Good to know more about Patty’s story. Good way they introduced Wally on the show. Can’t wait to see more of him on the show. Not good Wells have work with Zoom and steal Barry’s speed force.

27. Phoenix5634 says:

I noticed this awhile ago but thought it was just the show differentiating our Barry, from the future Barry. But now with Zoom wanting to “fatten up” Barry’s speed force, the colour difference between their lightening is likely about power. When Barry’s lightening turns from the orange-ish to a solid yellow like his future self is likely when he’s at his full potential…. It makes sense, both our Barry and Jay are new speedsters and both have the Orange lightening, Eobard was a reverse flash who reached his full potential and had solid red lightening, future Barry is also at full potential cuz he’s even with Eobard and has solid yellow. Zoom has apparently multiple speedforces that he stole so his lightening is hotter or more powerful as a solid blue.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Or Zoom is a different type of speedster, I’d really like if Harry would explain Zoom more, or to see an origin episode for Zooms’ powers eventually.

28. Why does it seem like all super heroes are virgins?

29. Gerald says:

Didn’t get the magnetic science behind one bomb goes into the portal and it would suck all the other ones out. What if some of them got jammed behind something when they blew up.
    Other than that it was a good episode. Love the Trickster. Love Captain Cold. Love the Weather Wizard. Zoom is annoying me. I hope Barry can best him and I hope Wells helps Barry in the end defeat him and save his daughter.

30. Diana says:

I didn’t like this one as much as last the one last year, but it was ok. The West family stuff was great and it was wonderful to finally hear Iris tell us what she was feeling.

-That scene with Iris and Barry watching the snow was beautiful. I know shows like their slowburn, but I really think they don’t need to do that for these two. At least not seasons and seasons. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but they have a really beautiful, intimate chemistry that’s not there with anyone else.

-I did feel that Joe should have had that conversation about Francine with Iris, not Barry. The way he left that confession scene was understandable, but the two of them needed a follow up and it’s strange we didn’t get that. He still could have had the watch scene with Barry after that. (Also while the acting and emotions were still great i feel the writers are starting to use the joe-barry talks too much. They’re starting to lose their effect. We don’t need one every episode, let alone two in the same one)

-The scenes with the trickster, weather wizard and cold were fun. Cisco had some great lines as well. And the Jay/Caitlin scenes were unexpectedly kind of cute.

-Wally! Wished he’d been in more of the ep, but I guess there was too much going on. I’ve already watched his entrance scene so many times. Looking forward to this character.

• herman1959 says:

OK, now I don’t feel bad in saying that I’m going to watch the episode, again, on hulu and FF through all of the parts that are NOT about Barry/Joe/Iris/Wally.

31. Pat says:

I thought that it was awesome. Everytime I saw the Trickster, all I could think of was the Joker. I just hope, that Dr. Wells from E2, does not hurt Barry in any way even though he told Zoom he would make Barry go faster, so he could take all of his speed and powers away from him. I know he wants his daughter back but I just do not want to see Barry being hurt by another Dr. Wells. I think that it will take both Flash E1 & Flash E2, together, having been given the speed and powers by Dr. Wells, to take down Zoom. Also, Dr. Wells daughter will be saved by Flash2.

32. Ally says:

I give it a B, soley because this was Henrys first Christmas out of prison in 15 years. Wouldn’t he want to spend it with his son,
    !?

33. Mikki says:

Its killing me not knowing who Zoom is! Ah! I will just have to wait.
    Grade A
    Show is awesome! Cisco is great! I love him.