SNL Family Matters Spoof

SNL's All-White Family Matters Spoof — Watch and See Why It Was Cut

Riddle me this: When did Family Matters become the most relevant show on television?

On the same night that Lifetime’s The Flight Before Christmas reunited timeless lovers Carl and Harriette, Saturday Night Live also planned to air a sketch inspired by the classic ’90s sitcom. Unfortunately, only one of those events made it to air.

SNL‘s sketch was cut for time, and after watching it, you’ll know why. The awkward, mostly laugh-free, parody found Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett and Ryan Gosling playing people loosely inspired by Family Matters characters in a scenario based on the first appearance of Steve Urkel’s suave alter ego Stefan Urquelle.

While I fully admit to laughing at the exterior shots between scenes — I have a weakness for llamas and other such nonsense — the actual interactions between characters are almost too uncomfortable to watch.

Hit PLAY on the sketch below, then drop a comment: Were you able to find the funny?

1. Stim says:

Every skit that features Kyle Mooney is pretty dreadful to me. I don’t get his sense of humor at all.

2. Beth says:

I keep trying to “get” Kyle Mooney, but it’s over my head, I guess.

3. Steven says:

Kyle Mooney’s digital shorts are always awful. I don’t what kind of dirt he has on Lorne Michaels. He should’ve been let go last season.

4. jmble says:

I love it. I guess I’m the only one who really likes Mooney’s shorts. Sometimes weird can be funny in small doses. I couldn’t watch a whole show of sketches like that, but one four minute sketch a week can have me rolling.

5. CAN says:

I couldn’t even get through the whole thing.

6. I’m not a Kyle Mooney fan, but I dug this. Mostly cause I ate up Family Matters for dinner every Friday as a kid. You kinda had to be there.

7. Brandy says:

As a huge Family Matters fan, and also a fan of Kyle and Beck’s intentionally awkward humor, I loved this. But it’s more a fit for an obscure show/channel and maybe not SNL. The music and laugh track and bad acting was so spot on.

8. MeJ says:

The concept is funny, but they could have improved it by casting a woman — you know, since Laura was typically the one most exasperated by Urkel. Unfortunately, much as I like Bennett and Mooney’s weird humor, they seem to write pretty exclusively for men (and themselves).

9. Carrie says:

I enjoyed this. If you watch sitcoms that you used to love as a kid, you realize how lame the story lines were and how horrible the acting was. This is an exaggerated/absurd take on it and those exterior shots were hilarious.

10. Stacy says:

Count me among those who don’t get it. I don’t understand what the lack of vocal inflection and facial expressions is supposed to magically reveal. I learned “It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it” at five years old.

11. Daya says:

Whoever’s playing Dougie is flatter than the floor on DWTS. YIKES!

12. Mzteaze says:

As a fan of Family Matters, this skit was dreadful. Kyle Mooney was completely off the mark. Is he supposed to be funny?