Once Upon a Time Recap Underworld

Once Upon a Time Winter Finale Recap: By Hook or by Crook

This Sunday on the Season 5A finale of ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Hook’s plan to exploit his Dark One status for the purpose of at long last getting his revenge on “The Crocodile” came back to bite all of Storybrooke in the bum — and in doing so, ultimately set the stage for one hell of a Season 5B.

With Dark Ones running rampant through Storybrooke determined to ship Emma and her loved ones to the Underworld, Emma revisits her Plan A, to send all the Darkness into one being — herself — and then sacrifice her life. But after Hook steals Excalibur from her, it is the pirate who, when push came to shove, (seemingly) absorbs all the Darkness. Hook then beseeches Emma to run him through with Excalibur. “I was weak, let me be strong…. Let me die a hero,” he begs. A sobbing Emma obliges, after which she transforms back into her blonde, red-jacketed self.

But… twist! Toward episode’s end, it is revealed that prior to turning Excalibur over to selfless Emma, Rumple “tweaked” the (surprisingly mutable for a mighty) sword to instead move the Darkness… into him. So, he is now the Dark One — more powerful than ever, and with his returned love Belle (again, oy!) none the wiser.

Though rightfully repulsed by Rumple’s betrayal, Emma sees an opportunity to blackmail him into doing her a favor by summoning the boat to the Underworld. Her plan? To travel there, with her parents, Henry, Regina and Robin, and get Hook back, by sharing her heart with him a la her parents. In case the parallel wasn’t driven home, she even declares at episode’s end, “I will always find you!”

Elsewhere in the midseason finale:

* Hasty dispatch alert! When Zelena threatens to take sole custody of her and Robin’s baby and raise the wee one to be wicked, Regina uses the Apprentice’s wand to summon a tornado that whisks the witch back to Oz.

* The flashbacks that informed Hook’s eventual sacrifice revealed how his father abandoned him and brother Liam one night while at sea, leaving the lads in servitude of the man whose boat he fled on. Ageless years later, in the course of testing Hook’s mettle to murder her mamma, Regina forces him to confront his father in a tavern. Dad almost wins Hook over with a tale of being changed by the love of a good woman, who gave him another son. But when Hook learns that the new son also got named Liam, like some clumsy “replacement,” he proceeded to slay his dad.

* When the Dark Ones were threatening to send everyone to the Underworld, Rumple discreetly urged Belle to leave town and see the world. But once the Dark Ones are dispatched, Belle returns to lovingly reunite with her “selfless” husband. “I don’t need to see the world to know what I want,” she beams. “What I want is to be with you!”

What did you think of “Swan Song,” Hook’s sacrifice, Rumple’s surreptitious (if very expected) return to Darkness, Emma’s new mission and the outlook for Season 5B?

1. S.uddenly says:

Enjoyed the episode very much. I think it was Colin and his chest hair’s best work – so smoking’! I would miss him but I kind of wish they’d let him be really dead as it is always the cop out on this show. Glad Rumple is back as D1 finally!

2. anon says:

Or… they could just leave Hook dead and no one else has to die?

3. Coco says:

So they spend an entire hour working on not going to the underworld, only to solve that and then voluntarily go to the underworld. Seriously?

• Teresa says:

Lol that’s the same exact thing I thought.

• Gerald says:

That is what I thought too. And Emma wanted to go save hook, when and why did she convince everyone else to go?
      p.s. Why were the dwarves missing when they were lining up to go the first time, they were replaced by dark ones also.

• Terry says:

That’s what really struck me as odd, why the heck is she taking her whole family?!!? But I guess she learned that being a lone wolf doesn’t work out very well for her so…

• ninergrl6 says:

Same! I was like “Ok Emma is going to the Underworld for Hook” and then all of a sudden they were going with her? Did she invite them or did they just take it upon themselves to tag along?
        And if the Dark Ones were looking for bodies to take their places in the Underworld, there should have been A LOT more Storybrooke folks affected.

• Mary says:

I think I would have liked where half of them went with Emma and half stayed behind. Like Henry, Regina & Snow stay behind and hey have a story with maybe Zelena returning; and Charming, Robin, Emma & Rumple going to the underworld. Having the whole Scooby gang go together (sans Belle but we know Emilie is preggers) means we will get shows with all Underworld Scenes and Fairytale land flashbacks. If half stayed we could have had 1/2 Underworld storyline and 1/2 Storybrooke storyline where they could use more characters…Merida, Aurora, granny, dwarves, blue fairy etc etc…

• Nora says:

Didn’t they do something similar, though, when they went to Neverland? IIRC they still had Storybrooke stories with the “secondary” players even though the majority of the “main” players were searching for Peter and a way to get Henry back. So I highly doubt they’re done with the other stories, even if the “main” players are in the Underworld.

• John NYC says:

But not trapped there as they would have been had they been “swapped” for the Dark Ones.

• So agree with you. Major disappointment.

4. Kat says:

They went full Buffy season 2 finale on us. I mean, pretty much literally. I know Jane Espenson was a writer on that show too, but maybe come up with a few fresh ideas…

• J.B. says:

THANK YOU!!! Was just coming to comment on the same thing. Emma = Buffy, Hook = Angel, Rumple = Willow, Dark Ones being removed before Hook dying = Angel’s soul being returned dying. The only way they could be LESS subtle about the ripoff is if in the second half of the season Emma runs away, changes her name to Anne and becomes a waitress at some crappy diner.

• Nick says:

OMG yes I thought the same exact thing! Although I wasn’t that like mad at them for basically copying Buffy cause they did a very nice job with it lol. If they did a crappy job of it then I would’ve been mad

• DBF says:

For too long now the show has been a vehicle for Disney so at least Buffy is something new. And many of us never watched that show so have no clue what happened.

• Lindsay says:

Yep totally Buffy and Angel at the end of season 2. It was so similar I thought for sure they would refer to it in the recap.

• John NYC says:

So for the entire world outside the Buffy-verse it’s a new for us story.

• You’re being educated that it’s very much a not new story, but an entire rehash of another show’s finale … which should clue you in on some serious problems in the recent writing quality for OUAT.

• John JFC says:

Sorry. Snore.

I find it entertaining, that you don’t for some reason or another specific to you is not “educational”.

• RM says:

I totally agree. While I was watching it, the first thing that popped into mind was when Buffy had to kill Angel. There definitely had to be Buffy influence, or so many people wouldn’t have noticed it. At least I know I’m not the only one who thinks this.

5. Josh says:

Man, the Rumple character is in such an annoying cycle. We’re right back where we were last year with him and Belle.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I wonder if the “morning after” scene was to plant the seed for writing in EDR pregnancy? Would certainly create different stakes for him.

• I actually thought the same thing

• LM says:

Agreed. Could it be that a baby FINALLY breaks this cycle? Not the best message to send, but it would put Rumple full circle with his story.I mean, I love Rumbelle, but this has been going on since “Skin Deep”…

• Sabrina says:

I agree. Rumplestiltskin was a character. Now he is just a concept. I love Robert Carlyle as the Dark One, but they’ve been stretching this out ever since the end of Season 3A. Enough already.

• Grace M says:

Well in the fantasy/alternate life they were all living in last season’s finale, Rumple and Belle did have a son, so that could become a reality for them in the later half of this season or next fall.

Next question is will Snow White and Price Charming be giving Baby Neal a sibling in the near future, since the actors are expecting real life, just like their co-star.

• TheKnightofRoses says:

Exactly. He took hiant leaps forward, and was blown back 10000 feet.

6. peace2speak says:

I loved it! Is Hook’s brother, Liam, eventually going to make an appearance?

• Grace M says:

I was wondering the same thing.

• Sammy says:

Hooks brother died in hooks season 2/3 flashbacks. He and his brother Liam worked for the the King of England and was sent on an expidition to Neverland. Many things happened and his brother was poisoned with the same thing David was poisoned with. Unless they bring him back… could be good… will see. Good episode. Very movie like production values and music.

• Jenna says:

Not sure if you realize or not, but there is a second brother of Hook’s named Liam. It was revealed in this episode right before Hook killed his own father. The young boy in the cottage was named Liam, which sets Hook off when he hears the repetitive words being said by his father to the boy… the same words his father once told him before he abandoned Hook- and the fact the father named his youngest son after his first son who he abandoned. I do hope they consider introducing the younger Liam brother! Excited to see where they take this second part of the season.

• The trick here is Liam 1 is Dead…..so is Hook. You don’t think they wouldn’t meet in the underworld do you??

I think Hook won’t leave without Liam. Won’t that be a pickle?

7. T says:

I never watched this show for content. It was always mindless Sunday TV before workweek. But I would rather it had stupid ideas than stupidly recycling scenes from other TV shows. Literally, a crying girl telling the bad guy – who freaking created the situation they are in but then suddenly went good again – she loves him before stabbing him with a sword to save everyone, I have already seen this. I get the entire premis of the show is retelling of fairytales, but Buffy wasn’t a fairytale. It was an original TV series in its own right. Still not Ok about it. They should have done it differently.

8. Kitty says:

Great message. “This guy killed his father and left his brother orphaned, BUT HE’S A SELF-SACRIFICING HERO! LOVE HIM!!”

And men can always be redeemed by TRUE!!! LOVE!!!, but women are permanently dumb.

Oh look. Rumple is Bad. AGAIN.

• Vari says:

Did you miss everything that happened! And so on. You just nitpicking. I still think the dad is alive. And he played a game with Killian imo

• taran63 says:

You think Hook’s dad is still alive? I don’t mean to sound rude, but it’s comments like that which makes you sound delusional when it comes to Hook. I’m not saying he doesn’t have good qualities, but are you willfully blind to all his bad qualities?

• Maria Yaworsky says:

Sadly many CSers are

• prish says:

Maybe, it wasn’t really the father but a fake somethingorother?

• John NYC says:

He accepted, no welcomed, The Dark so I’m figuring whether that was his dad or not, HOOK willfully murdered his own father and so passed Regina’s test with flying colors.

• Vari says:

Nope i am not. And also look at thw whole picture then complaining and nitpicking like you!!! Yes i do think he is alive… we going to the underworld.. he could be alive…

• taran63 says:

You ‘re accusing me of nitpicking about Hook? Literally the only thing I said about Hook was that he had good qualities and bad qualities. Do you think Hook is perfect, or do you not know what the word nitpicking means?

• gina says:

People in the underworld are not alive… it’s the underworld… you know.. where dead people go.

• Nicole says:

He had to have killed his father orherwise, part of the second season wouldnt have made sense. The part where Killian actually tries to kill Cora in Wonderland. Regina wouldnt have sent him to do that if he didnt do what she said the first time. And there is really no way of fooling her.

• Cal says:

I thought it was true to the show. Think about it – Regina killed her father (along with a dozen villages or so) and just took a child’s mother away from her, but she’s still considered a hero. Redeeming these characters is challenging, but that’s the point of the show (I think) – believe in forgiveness, love, hope, all that good stuff. I try to keep that in mind when watching the show…because otherwise, I wouldn’t like too many characters ;)

Overall, great episode!

• jj says:

You can’t play the sexist card. They’ve done the self-sacrificing hero redemption thing with Regina too.

9. Jimmy says:

Overall, I thought this was really good episode that made up for a mostly mediocre season. Although I will say the whole Emma killing Killian had me having flashbacks to the season 2 finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer;although, Colin O’Donnell is far better looking than David Boreanaz. The scenes from spring story arc do look promising. I could do without Peter Pan, but it will be fun to have Cora back. She will not be happy to see Snow White.

• Dani says:

Colin O’Donoghue, not to be confused with Colin Donnell who is currently in Chicago Med, and previously, Arrow.

I hope Season 5B will be crazy good. So much potential!

10. Manda Panda says:

They can’t kill off Hook! He’s my favorite character! Please fix it, writers!

11. laurelnev says:

After a hum drum season, they FINALLY hit pay dirt with this mid-season finale! Why couldn’t the REST of the season be THIS character driven? I have a feeling Killian won’t be the only one they’ll find in the underworld. Who else thinks we haven’t seen the last of Merlin? And that we have a Rumple/Merlin battle to look forward to in the future? I just hope Zelena stays in Oz, and we just kind of forget Arthur & Co ever came to SB! And poor Emma! I hope all the previous Savior Light Magic wasn’t sworded out of her with the darkness!

• DBF says:

Or are they going to find Neil in the Underworld thus causing a love triangle issue with him, Hook, and Emma? And if she has to choose whether to save Neil or Hook, who does she choose?

• laurelnev says:

Hmmm…is the actor available? How about the dude who played Daniel? They could potentially encounter dozens of lost loves…and enemies. We kniw we’re going to see Pan and Regina’s Mom & Dad…

• Vari says:

HOW MANY TIMES HAS IT BEEN SAID THAT EMMA AND HOOK IS IT!!!! Like do u not follow the story…. and the build up. Emma loves Hook

• Amy says:

It is the young Bae that is going to be appearing in the Underworld. Not MJR. Milah is going to be there though (although Colin said there would not be a triangle) there may be some closure there. For both Hook and Rumple.

• BM says:

Agreed, that was by far the best episode of the season; wish there had been more of that – though the first two and last week’s were pretty good, too, in my opinion but in between… well… But I really hope that S5B is a lot more like this one! (and that we don’t get so many outside characters, the core is more than enough, so is one story, not three (core characters, Arthur and Merida).
      I was actually wondering last week if Merlin is really dead and that it would be really sad if that was how easily the most powerful wizard was defeated. So, I’m curious, too, if he’ll make an appearance again.
      And it looks like to defeat darkness they’ll have to defeat Rumple… I always thought he and Belle were going to get a happy ending, too, because if Rumple died, Belle wouldn’t get her happy ending, right? So, it seemed like Rumple had to get rid of the darkness and find his courage and realize he can live without the magical power.

• laurelnev says:

Knowing Excalibur, it probably didn’t really disintegrate; it’s dust probably reformed itself into some rock, awaiting the next worthy one. We may yet see it come back into play to balance all of the darkness in the dagger. And the Darkness seems to get milder, for lack of a better word; more wielded out of necessity and defense than frivolty and vengence. I’m thinking that a baby, bringing pure lightness into Rumple’s life, may be the answer to maintaining the popular EF Rumple, yet balancing out all the darkness.

• K says:

…character driven? Hook decides at the last minute to not murder everyone, and Rumple decides for literally no reason to become the DO again. Regina and Zelena agreed last episode to share custody of pistachio and this one Reggie knocks her back to Oz (with a wand that previously failed for Regina because she wasn’t wicked enough). Emma decides to risk her parents’ and son’s lives to save her boyfriend? That doesn’t sound “character-driven.”

• Megan says:

Were you really surprised Rumple decided to be the ultimate Dark One after being the DO for a long time and thinking Belle had left forever? It’s actually very in character and , frankly, everyone on the show declaring him a hero after fighting a bear was such a stretch. I think Rumple is about a million times more interesting as the DO than whatever he’s been this season. I don’t ship anything so the whole Rumple/Belle stuff doesn’t really come into play with how I feel about him. I hope he’s the biggest, baddest vilian in the last season because Robert Carlyle would be awesome.

• John NYC says:

Rumple has seemingly always chosen power at the end of the day, always.

12. Christy says:

Awkward question: Does it make Emma & Regina bad mothers for taking their son to the underworld?? ;)
    SO excited to see how this 2nd half of the season works out.

• laurelnev says:

Yeah…I kind of can’t believe they’d let him come along either. Pinocchio, OTOH… :)

• taran63 says:

Are they bad mothers for taking their son to hell? Yes, yes they are.

• Sarah says:

I think when he became the author they started treating him as an adult instead of as a child. Even introducing two new babies into the plot I think is supposed to help viewers think of him as an adult capable of making his own decisions.

13. kath says:

You could have titled this “the more things changed, the more they stay the same.”

But Rumple is back to being the Evil One and all’s right with the world!
    I’ve enjoyed this season of OUaT so much with them emphasis on Dark Emma and Hook.
    But why exactly are Henry’s parents and grandparents allowing him to accompany them on a dangerous mission to the underworld? (Why are Regina and Robin there too?)

• BM says:

Because they’re a team and as Emma said in S3 when they were in Neverland, they need to work together. While it has not been really emphasized, that’s always been a part of things – they defeat evil united. That is what Regina was referring to in S4b when she said to Emma that the villains had taken a page out of the hero’s playbook – they had united. Being united makes one stronger: “United we stand, divided we fall”.

14. Alice says:

So, the Season 2 Finale of Buffy? Geez, between this and The Librarians (trying to) remake Neil Gaiman’s Doctor Who episode “The Doctor’s Wife”- it’s like the writers aren’t even trying anymore.

15. Vari says:

Bloody awesome. How cute was Little Killian. I think we will see Papa Hook again.
    Emma go get your man back… find him! True Love!

16. Abs says:

Not sure how I felt about this fall half season… For Emma to love Hook so much, I wish we saw more of their love story. I want to see the same passion between them as between Snow and Charming. Especially if they’re going to follow through with them sharing a heart

• Vari says:

You have been seeing Emma and Hook so much… its been such a slow burn romance. And the things they have been through. Also Emma is different to how Snow and Charming are and their love story. But Emma loves Hook as he loves her. true love.

• breytt says:

Slow? It went from Emma rolling her eyes and lotsa “no”s and Hook’s constant pushing to “I wuv you” “please don’t leave me” “I shall sacrifice everything for thee” in a matter of 2-3 months.

Henry’s 13 and Neal died tops 6 months ago according to the writers fyi. Jesus, can people remember Emma’s a grown woman please.

• Lauren says:

AMEN! The shift from Emma hating to “loving” Killian was so quick, it gave me whiplash. Everything about them is so rushed and forced.

• Vari says:

watch season 3 and season 4 again and season 5!!! You will have your answer!!! then just one episode of a couple and labelling them true love like most couples lol.

• T.M. says:

I did. Their relationship was developed too quickly and I don’t think they have that much chemistry. Although Hook is very pretty to look at. The show has hand waved a lot of the really gross stuff that Hook did at first before they shoved him into the love interest category.

17. sarahthebaker says:

I love Once & hope it lasts many seasons. Still, I hoped the show would take Rumple’s new “pure heart” a new more miles before darkening it again. Also, the show would’ve had a lot of opportunity to reinvent without having a “Dark One.” Some real missed opportunities I think.

18. Ashley says:

This show is starting to get old. It is literally the same thing over and over. We always think Rumple has changed only for him to go back to his old ways and im tired of his character. Emma never gets her happy ending. I can only hope that the underworld season changes things up a bit. I loved this show so much, but I think it needs to end soon. Or maybe they could incorporate some of the wonderland stories into the series.

19. Actually… a life won’t have to be sacrificed for Hook to return. Emma is going to split her heart to bring him back, just like Snow and Charming did in the Enchanted Forest.

20. Raven says:

GDI Rumple.

That is all.

21. Amy says:

I think the plan isn’t to give up a life for him but for Emma to split her heart for him, like her parents? I enjoyed the finale and especially thought Morrison was brilliant

22. breygi says:

My understanding was that Emma’s plan isn’t for someone to die (she said she is doing this out of love and not darkness), but for her to give half of her heart to Killian so that he can live (“You share a heart. So will we.”).
    As for the rest, I’m glad we’re getting a break from Zelena at least for a while. And Rumple. Oh Rumple. I felt so happy for the Rumbelle fans and then this. I know this show is about redemption, but I don’t see that being his ending. He’s too far gone. He had a blank slate and chose this. For him, it’s not a curse, he’s not a victim. He CHOOSES to be this way.

• he does choose power over everything else

• BM says:

Yes, me too. I have to admit, Zelena was kind of annoying me and unlike many other characters, even Rumple, I couldn’t work up any compassion for her and just wanted her gone. (I also believe that her gone is part of Regina’s and Robin’s happy ending because, despite of what Regina said in S4b, having Zelena there is always a reminder to both Regina and Robin of what Zelena did to them. So, I hope Zelena stays away because I really don’t want her see redeemed and be in Storybrooke because I feel that she’d take away part of the happy ending for characters I care about).

I also would have liked for Rumple to not stay the DO, actually. I felt that with these new roles – Rumple without power and Emma being the DO, there was so much to be explored without the Camelot story and especially the other stories. I liked the idea of Rumple having to face life without power and I would have loved to see a meeting between him and Regina because they have this mentor-student relationship and it would have been interesting. He still had his knowledge just not the power anymore. Like I said, I felt there was so much potential there which they didn’t use and instead they gave us Merida and Camelot. Which I didn’t mind in itself, I just minded that it was all cramped into a half season and so much else wasn’t explored.

• Manders says:

I agree 100% they could’ve explored the Dark Emma and Hook characters so much more, and Rumple finally being brave…. there was so much room for so much to happen. I liked Camelot and Merida, but they could’ve been used later. I would happily have watched a whole season of Dark Emma and Hook running around and Rumple and &co trying to stop them. These stories this season were too rushed. Although I do like Zelena. She is an absolute lunatic that they can’t get rid of and Rebecca Mader is adorable and scary as this character. Gods I miss Hook. :(

• wendie says:

I’m glad Zelena is gone too, altho they did write her some of the best lines. She usually made me laugh altho I also wanted to punch her stupid petty vindictive face. :)

23. Ann J says:

It was epic the best finale ever! Love Love Loved it!!

24. DucksSayQuack says:

How is everyone else going to come back from the underworld? Emma and Hook are going to pull a snow and charming and share the same heart, but what about everyone else? And the most important part about them going to the underworld is… WILL THEY SEE NEAL???? Emma and Henry have to see him eventually, right? I want her to come back with Neal instead. Hook could stay there with Mila.

• breygi says:

Only Hook is dead. That’s why he needs Emma’s heart. The rest of them are more or less on a visitor’s pass. I imagine it is like traveling between lands (which they’ve done before, often) — difficult, but not impossible.

• ninergrl6 says:

I know the show isn’t necessarily true to its source material, but I believe the mythological Underworld is not a place that mortals can come and go from easily (or at all). Odysseus had to go there alone, without his crew, and make some sort of sacrifice to the gods in order to be allowed passage into/out of the Underworld.

• shelly says:

OK people its time to give up on neil, HE was NEVER EVER EVER MEANT FOR EMMA. GET OVE RIT. THE END.

• Christoffer says:

I have to debate this point. It was always a 50/50 chance between the two. Or even 30/30/30 baring some new love interest being introduced. Some shows have several season plotted, but OUaT is -not- one of those. They have a thin, thin thread, basically boiling down to Disney adventures, but the rest? They just wing it from season to season. And this isn’t just me talking, they’ve stated it themselves in several interviews. So depending on contracts, obligation and simple popularity, it could easily have been Neil here. (Heck, Hook himself was tinkered into a love interest in season 3 simply because of viewer response. It was not because of a long thought out plot line. It was never “meant to be.” Heck, the only reason Robin and Hood are on the show in as big a capacity as they are is because they were Kitsis and Horowitz’ favorite characters as children and wanted to include them. Again, explicitly stated in interviews a few years back.)

25. Maggie says:

Fantastic episode and season! Now i’m just sad we’ll have to wait until March to watch the rest of it. I’ll be counting the days, that’s for sure!

26. FedUp says:

This episode was a total ripoff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 2 finale. Buffy had to kill her evil boyfriend and sends him to Hell by stabbing him. Identical to that ending. Watch the episode of Buffy it is identical. He also opened up a portal to Hell and everything.

27. One of the best episodes of this show. It was brilliant all the twists and turns. I just wish we could know what happened with the Camelot people.

28. Nick says:

Am I the only one who thought of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when Emma killed Hook cause that whole scene reminded me of when Bufffy did the same to Angel. Really excited for 5B especially since Cora & Peter Pan are returning!

29. Sheila says:

For a brief few minutes, I was so, so happy that Hook was dead. Then they STOMPED ON THAT. I really should just give up on this show.

30. Devin says:

I hate Rumple so much! I hope Hook gets back at him.

31. Ginger Snap says:

MELODRAMA!!
    Sorry , but I was LMFAO during Hook’s death scene . How many crocodile tears has Emma shed over her boy toys .

Sadly, there will be no Zelena and Dark Hook ship for me.

32. Kip says:

What happened to them finishing up the Arthur storyline? Did I miss something? Them dealing with Arthur should be done and the girl who plays Merida said we would see it this episode.

33. Chris says:

Everyone keeps mentioning Buffy Season 2, but I first had to see Serena kill Darien on Sailor Moon way back when I was a very little girl. It’s always heartbreaking.

34. Teresa says:

Are Arthur and the rest of the Camelot gang still in Storybrooke? Merida’s still in Storybrooke too right? I felt like there should have been some conclusion to that story but it felt like A&E just forgot about it. Aside from that the episode was good, excited for the spring premiere.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Meh. I’m more curious how they’re gonna keep Rumple and Belle active while all the other majors are in Underworld. Can only take so many scenes of “Hide the Knife.”

• Jerry says:

Didn’t Rumple go with them to the Underworld? Either the end of the episode or the March preview showed him traveling with the rest

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I thought he stayed on shore…? Would seem even odder for him to leave Belle behind. And I seldom watch Coming Attractions.

• breygi says:

Rumple definitely went. They showed him walking through the water with the rest at the very end. Maybe since his blood opened the portal to get there, they may need his blood to get back? And while common sense would say he could just leave them there, there’s no way the writer’s are going to have an exciting adventure without Rumple.

• DarkDefender says:

Rumpbelle playing “hide the knife”.. You mean the actual knife? ;)

35. So when are we going to see notices announcing the casting of Hercules & Meg? I mean, that’s clearly where Once is going with this right?

36. DBF says:

So they go to the Underworld and they take Henry??? And where is the other kid??? They must have one hell of an understanding babysitter. And how does Rumple just leave to go to the Underworld without telling Belle anything?

37. David says:

Way stoked to see pan in the next episode! They’re able to open it up a lot more now. Lots of people in the underworld!

38. Amezz says:

Starting to get a major Supernatural vibe off of this. JUST LET DEAD PEEPS STAY DEAD!!!

Also, 3 whole months? Uh it’s gonna be a looong wait…

39. StephonJS says:

Hey Matt can u ask the guys will Camelot people and Merida storyline be wrapped up in 5B with maybe Belle at the center of that

• Gail says:

Wasn’t Merida becoming Queen and saving her brothers the end of her story? The Camelot story was left a mess with nothing resolved. Why did Arthur do all that he did? What was the purpose of Lancelot going to the Lady In The Lake and then never being heard from. Guinevere was just left as Arthur’s puppet and nothing was done with that. Why kill Merlin and the Apprentice? Will they show in the underworld?

Not sure why Rumple or actually anyone but Emma is going to the underworld. For that matter if everyone is going, why isn’t Belle going? Is she so clueless she won’t notice everyone is gone? When everyone went to Neverland at least they gave Belle a reason to stay behind.

40. James D says:

It was ok. I enjoyed Jennifer’s and Colin’s work, but the episode itself seemed very “been there done that.” I kind of feel bad for Robert he keeps going around and around it must be murder on his emotions “am I good am I bad” please for the love of all that is holy just pick one :)

41. shaz says:

Finally belle makes up her mind and rumple is the dark one again it makes sense to me that he has the darkness because he has had it longer than anyone else has so he would have more control over it than anyone else

42. Grace M says:

Glad to see Emma’s natural blonde look back (even though the actress is originally a brunette). I didn’t really care for the frosted blonde look.

So Hook has a younger half brother. I wonder what storyline will involve him in the future?

• Gail says:

I would assume a revenge story as Hook killed their father and left him an orphan. Perhaps he is in Oz and Zelina will bring him when she returns.

43. Nicole says:

One last question, Matt, how does Emilie feel playing the most stupidest female character in all of tv history? Again….unbelievable. And our heroes decide she is not worth telling the truth to until after they get Hook. She deserves having to be an idiot all over again.

44. Megan says:

I’m excited about the underworld and I actually think it’s awesome for other characters who can confront those they’ve killed or have previously interacted with. I do question Regina and Emma allowing Henry to go with them. Not sure that’s the best decision.

I liked the episode tonight because I think a lot that needed to happen did. There was more screen time for other characters ( like Regina, Rumple, and Emma/Snow), it was obvious Hook had to meet his fate in Camelot, and Emma needed to be Savior Emma again. I think you needed hope at the end of this episode because it’s been a dark and pretty depressing first half. It’s interesting how without Savior Emma the show didn’t feel as light as it usually does. I know that was on purpose but it’s nice to have some lightness back to the show. I will say, I do hope with some of these characters coming back in “hell” that it gives other characters a chance to have their own storylines

45. Nick says:

Anyone else getting shades of Buffy killing Angel with the sword in Season 2’s Becoming Part 2? Especially when Emma turned back to normal and was wearing the red leather jacket?

46. Qwerty says:

I tried to make it here before LaurelNev made it. I was too late. SHOCKINGLY, she had something sorta nice to say for one. Finally.

47. Gail says:

I wonder if they will provide an explanation about why they wont meet Neil or Sheriff Graham in the Underworld. Will Hook have his missing hand in the Underworld?

• DarkDefender says:

Underworld kind of implies only the villains reside there. Graham and Neal were ultimately heroes.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct.

• Nicky Aiuto says:

Uh technically incorrect. You forget? Merida’s father Fergus is in the underworld, yet he is a hero. Remember?

• Mark says:

but by being run through with the sword he became a hero …. Wasn’t that the point so he could become the hero he never was so that argument is mute

• ninergrl6 says:

In Greek mythology the Underworld is NOT the same as hell. ALL people who die — good and bad — go to the Underworld. There are different sections for different types of people, but they’re ALL there, not just the bad ones. Of course, who knows if the Once writers will stay true to any Greek mythology at all.

• Carole says:

Also people can be brought out of the Underworld. Persephone is allowed out and that brings spring. Plus Orpheus could bring out Eurydice but he looked back. Heroes go to the Elysium fields but they are a select group. This will give them a way to bring back dead characters.

• Odessa says:

^ Exactly

• Gail says:

What about Regina’s father. He is in the Underworld. What evil did he do?

• Catherine says:

He let Cora abuse their daughter. There’s no way he didn’t know about that. That makes him just as guilty, IMO.

48. Nicole says:

I predict the series ends with Rumple’s son being his undoing. Hopefully he takes after his father because his mother’s an idiot.

49. Julieyolo says:

OMG!!!! That was amazing, and I literally cried my heart out when he died!

50. Amanda says:

F*** you. I serched how to watch the last 20 minutes of the once upon a time winter finale because the obama speach caused the DVR to cut of the end AND THIS POPS UP. HOW HARD IS IT TO SAY THAT THERE IS FRICKEN SPOILERS AND NOT RUIN THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE EPISODE IN THE TITLE!!!!!