Freshman TV Report Card

Fall TV Winners & Losers: Are the New Shows You Like Best Sticking Around?

Throughout the fall, TVLine asked you to grade each of the new pilots — from Minority Report and Bastard Executioner, which were among the first out of the gate, to the more recent Supergirl and Jessica Jones debuts.

As the numbers started coming in, did you prove to be prescient with your predictions or wildly off the mark?

Last year, The Flash, How to Get Away With Murder, American Horror Story: Freak Show, Red Band Society (beeeeeeeeeep….) and A to Z (R.I.P.) populated your Top 5, while Mulaney and Utopia deservedly brought up the very rear.

TVLine took a precise hand-count of your votes and extrapoconvertulated it into a numerical grade, with “100” representing a perfect score.

How did your knee-jerk impressions compare to each newcomer’s eventual fate? And who led this freshman class? Review the slideshow below (click here for direct access), arranged from lowest grade to highest.

1. MSB says:

I was excited for Quantico since they day I read it’s initial premise here on TVLine. I gave it a good grade for it’s premiere and I still can’t wait to watch it each week. It quickly became one of my favorite shows. The other newbie I eagerly anticipated was Blindspot. I loved the idea of the show, and gave the premiere a decent rating but it just didn’t keep me past a few episodes. I may go back and catch up over winter break but unfortunately it’s not a priority.

2. Sonja says:

Fargo is not a first season though? Or does it count because it’s an anthology thing like AHS? I feel like those two don’t belong on this list. They have established fanbases compared to everything else, which are shows in their first seasons.

My favorite new shows are Quantico, Blindspot and Code Black and also Jessica Jones on Netflix.

3. Guy says:

There are a couple new shows I’ve mostly enjoyed so far, but I’d say that overall, this was probably the worst crop of new fall shows in recent memory. Even the few shows I’ve enjoyed haven’t exactly wowed me completely. They’ve merely done just enough to keep me engaged.

• Beckers0505 says:

I tend to agree. I only picked up the Muppets. I tried a few others but nothing stuck. On the other hand that’s not such a bad thing. Gives me time to go to Netflix and catch up on old shows!

4. Sarah9 says:

It’s been a pretty weak fall tv shows overall and the one I’m still watching of the newbies is Limitless, the rest have bored me after a few episodes.
    Marvel Jessica Jones was an intense and very enjoyable show with great moments…i can’t wait for more Luke story :)

5. ScrubsGuy says:

Were AHS and Fargo supposed to be on that list? Is it because they’re anthology series?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correctamundo. .

• Maryann says:

I see your logic for putting AHS and Fargo on the list, but I just don’t agree with it. People like them or don’t like them based on previous experience; the basic tone and quality stay the same from season to season, as well as the groups that anticipate and avoid them.

6. CourtTV says:

I’ve stuck with quantico and supergirl. I finished out minority report while recognizing its doa status. Blindspot fizzled after two episodes and I don’t bother with dvr anymore.

7. Olivia says:

I was on board with Blindspot and Quantico as soon as I read the synopsis here. My two new faves, definitely!

I still have to find time to catch up on The Man In The High Castle, Jessica Jones and Limitless. I wasn’t expecting a lot from Minority Report but I was hoping for something better than it was. Too much eye rolling despite some very interesting things… it could have been good if only they put more effort into it instead of relying on futuristic settings more than anything (and also if they forgot that Wilmer Valderrama exists).

I still don’t give a rodent’s behind about Ryan Murphy shows or the Nth medical drama and, despite giving it a shot, Supergirl is not my thing.

8. Shar says:

Blindspot and Limitless are our favourites – good stories with interesting characters. A quick shout out to Ashley Johnson on Blindspot who is killing it every week without shooting a gun or drop kicking anyone ( so far.)

9. Mr. Tran K says:

The losers in my opinion: Dr. Ken, Life in Pieces,Rosewood, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Code Black. Hope these five shows won’t survive for another season. Blindspot and Supergirl are winners in my book and I’m deeply saddened about The Player even though it was destined to get a big boost for a Blacklist lead-in and the series’ star Philip Winchester is proven to be a star on the rise after an amazing run on Strike Back.

10. Josh says:

The new Shows I’ve enjoyed and stuck with are Supergirl, The Muppets and Scream Queens

11. Eran says:

My favourites in no particular order:

Life in Pieces – it was being slagged off left, right and centre. Went into it apprehensive. Was in painful stitches, 15 min into the pilot. Every episode so far has delivered imo.

The Grinder – Deliciously entertaining in its light-hearted, feel-good vibe. 20 min of relaxing and enjoying, giggle-worth, OTT television.

Supergirl – I’d watch Calista Flockhart guest-star on The 700 Club so that’s an unfair start, but solid cast that has genuine chemistry coupled with actual storytelling has given this non Marvelite quite a warm welcome.

Blindspot – Haven’t enjoyed an action drama in years! Has Greg Berlanti’s fingerprints all over it – gripping mystery and relationships you actually buy as you did on Brothers & Sisters.

Jessica Jones – As someone who had never even heard of the character until two weeks ago – spectacular cast and tight, deeply unsettling storytelling that’s a master class in how to terrorise without splashing rivers of blood (yes, Ryan Murphy, I’m talking to you) all over the screen.

12. Mak says:

Jessica Jones – This show blew my mind, it’s incredible.I can’t wait for season 2, is it true though that season will debut in 2017.
    Life in Pieces, Dr Ken – Best new comedies of this year IMO. They are LOL funny.
    Supergirl, Quantico – I was looking forward to these two shows the most but they’ve disappointed. I’m still rooting for them though to do well and maybe with time they will find their footing.
    Blood & Oil – Wanted to like this show but it had terrible female characters…I coud not identify with any of them so I dropped it.
    Minority report – Loved this show..too bad not many people tuned in.
    Scream Queens – Love how outrageous it is..hope it gets renewed.
    CEG – Tried to like it but not my kind of show.

• Dj says:

2017 was just me guessing because Marvel has other netflix shows slated to come out before it. Luke Cage and the second season of Daredevil are coming out in 2016. Then Iron Fist and Defenders both of which might come out before a second season of Jessica Jones..

• I recommend Minority Report to everyone that would listen because it really does have something for everyone!

13. spindae2 says:

CeG’s return date is known 25th January, was announced in the promo for 1×09.

14. Erin says:

I have ended up with different expectations for this fall season, initially I thought Quantico and Scream Queens would be my favourite shows but both turned me off when it came to actually tuning in, Queens was more parody than actual horror show with humour elements and post-modern themes, basically I was hoping for the TV version of Scream, because the actual isn’t that great. Unfortunately, Queens ended up more parody. Quantico felt like Shondaland shows were put in a blender and Quantico came out, I watched for about 6 weeks but it just felt more of the same, still a well executed show and a fun one at that but I felt overkill as I watched it after already seeing Scandal and HTGAWM. I ended up loving Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after thinking it had a sexist title but it’s actually hilarious and way better than expected. I’ve stuck out with Supergirl and it’s starting to win me over. Knew i’d fall in love with Jessica Jones and of course I did!

15. Maryann says:

I find it interesting that Rosewood is at or near the bottom of every tv online poll, yet according to the Nielsens it is a hit for FOX, second only to Empire, and way ahead of everything else on FOX this season, old or new.

My favorites out of the new crop are Blindspot, The Player, Quantico, Heroes Reborn, Code Black and Scream Queens.

I will watch all of Jessica Jones, an episode every week or so, even though I find the Purple Man way too creepy, because Daredevil was by far my favorite show last spring and I am going for completion on the shared universe.

As for The Player, it deeply disappoints me that the show did not get previews that accurately reflect the series; it has just as many twists and turns and just as much intrigue as Blindspot, The Blacklist, and Quantico, but it takes 3-4 episodes to get into that on a deep level, and from the previews and pilot you would think it was just mindless action. So my grade for the network PR department is a big fat F, but my grade for the show itself is an A. (And fortunately, Wesley Snipes — whom I do not care for — is just a supporting player, with Philip Winchester as the real star.) I would recommend that anyone who was drawn to The Player in the least give it another chance — even with the truncated run.

16. J.Norman says:

The only 2 shows I can comment on as a semi – regular viewer are are:

1) Dr. Ken – which I consider horrible and have moved on to Animal Planet or something else until 9:00

2) Life In Pieces – which is getting what could probably be considered the minimum acceptable numbers for a show following Big Bang.
    If it survives, I kind of look at it as CBS’s potential answer to (ABC’s) The Middle.

17. Sheila says:

I love Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! Maybe it would do better on a different network. It doesn’t really fit with the teeny bopper shows of the CW.

18. Alex says:

What about Master Of None?

19. DanielleZ says:

Code Black and Quantico are the two new shows I’ve stayed with. Code Black is excellent. I’m about 4 episodes behind on Quantico but plan to catch up via On Demand. It’s entertaining.

20. MRiter says:

Jessica Jones is relentlessly grim. Dropped out a third the way into e2. River is a far superior offering by Netflix.

21. Kate Lowell says:

Loved this season of Sleepy Hollow. FOX has made some questionable cancellations over the past few years. If they cancel this show I will never watch another new series on their channel again.

22. Phun says:

Supergirl and Quantico are the only new shows I watch. I tried Scream Queens and couldn’t get into it.

23. Dj says:

the one thing about Jessica Jones that sucks is it might be 2017 before a second season.

24. Tennisnsun says:

Dr. Ken is the worst show of the season, hands down. I was looking forward to Blood and Oil and Wicked City which are both done. Blood and Oil rightfully so. I’m hoping they find a better “adult” spot for Wicked City because I though it was edgy and sexy. Even though they are much lighter fare I am enjoying the chemistry between the characters on Grinder and Grandfathered. I intend to watch Limitless on demand as reading the comments here has peaked my interest. Several other shows mentioned were not different enough for me to watch entire episodes.

25. Chris says:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend keeps getting better and better. Limitless is turning out to be terrific. Blindspot is much better than I expected. The streaming channels are doing a great job with Jessica Jones, High Castle, Master of None, Red Oaks, Casual. And shame for not mentioning Ash vs Evil Dead!!!

26. I would cancel all the rest of these shows besides Supergirl, Limitless, Blindspot and Jessica Jones just so Minority Report can be renewed!

27. Also, is Chicago Fire’s demo being four points over Limitless’ demo really scorching them?

28. We LOVE Castle !!!!! Please don’t take it off ! There just isn’t any other show similar and the humor is perfect. We’re so tired of too much junk on tv, so keep Castle !!