Vampire Diaries Lily Dies

Vampire Diaries Recap: Heart Attacked

Stefan and Damon’s plot to kill Julian once and for all hit a snag or two on Thursday’s The Vampire Diaries, what with Lily’s beau charming her family of Heretics with chocolate chip pancakes and a party for Nora and Mary Louise’s anniversary. So, how to convince them that the vamp is a bastard? With the truth about the child he caused Valerie to miscarry, natch.

Getting Nora and Beau to adopt an anti-Julian mindset is easy, but Mary Louise – who always seemed to enjoy Julian’s brand of wicked fun more than Lily’s strict rule – isn’t as easily convinced by Valerie’s sad tale. It doesn’t help that just earlier that day, Julian offered her a gigantic diamond ring so she could propose to her Vampire Diaries Season 7 Recapgirlfriend. Nora, of course, accepted, but now that Mary Louise is slow to side with her family, Nora hands the ring back over. To her, it just represents how good Julian is at manipulating them.

After Mary Louise releases him from the Salvatores’ chains, Julian retaliates by tying up Damon and Valerie. “One lives, one dies,” he tells Lily. “You’re either a Salvatore, or you’re one of us. But you cannot be both.”

Actually, she can. Lily chooses to stake herself in the heart instead, not knowing that Julian has already unlinked the spell that binds them. Julian loses it, while Lily’s family takes turns saying goodbye as she lies on her deathbed. Damon, however, still doesn’t have it in him to forgive the first woman who ever broke his heart.

“You made your bed. Have a nice nap,” he snaps. (Nice to see him stand his ground, right?) So, with Lily in a state of decay, we have our first hint that it’s not really Mama Salvatore to whom a tied-up Damon apologizes in the flash forward. (Was it even a genuine, “I’m so sorry”?) And the mystery woman isn’t coming to his rescue either, delivering a kick instead.

Elsewhere in the episode, Caroline breaks the awkward news to Stefan that she’s magically pregnant with Alaric’s babies. Stefan’s reaction sums it up best: “I don’t think there are any words.” But after getting some advice from Lily, he manages to string a few together, reassuring Caroline that he’s “not going anywhere because I love you.” What a boyfriend!

Then there’s Matt, whose future I’m still very worried about. (Where is his flash forward?!) Enzo telling him, “You’ve brought a knife to a gun fight, and it’s going to be the death of you,” certainly didn’t ease my concerns. But at least Matty Blue Eyes is being proactive, making mysterious new friends who can help him protect Mystic Falls. In fact, said well-equipped pals take down Enzo with a dart. (Team Arrow, is that you?)

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of the episode? Are you sad to see Lily go? Got any theories on the mysterious huntress?

1. Alisha says:

I have mixed feelings about Lily dying.. and Damon was a bit of an ass.. But now would be a good time to reduce focus on heretics & start making sense of the flash forwards… And I really wish they would express Caroline’s SOMETHING about being impregnated against her will.. Thats quiet a violation..
    The Steroline ILY moment was adorable.. even if Stefan hasnt been pretty distracted lately..

• tyranthraxus says:

You know, she abandoned her kids to Guiseppe for some BS reason and expected them to come back to thinking of them as their mother, depsite for some time siding with the ‘bad guys’ and the like. Damon stayed the most true to his character and for a show that delights in chaning the characters personalities at the drop of the hat it was refreshing.

She is/was/unsure a Heretic and both of them are Vampires who at times go off the deep end and kill people in funny but cruel ways. People need to stop viewing these characters from a ‘human perspective’. They arnt and they shouldnt act like Humans anymore.

Im a bit sad they killed Lily off. They went to all this work of bringing her back, to put her in a half assed redemption story as she learned her new lover/boyfriend/other was just as ‘f—ked up’ as the model he replaced in Guiseppe. I guess Salvatores never learn.

And removing the pair bond spell was a cop out. Again it was a convinient plot device until the writers found it boring again then poof its gone quickly.

What the hell happened to this show?

• Rachel says:

I agree with most of what you said except: “People need to stop viewing these characters from a ‘human perspective’. They aren’t and they shouldn’t act like Humans anymore.” This is true BUT TVD hasn’t been very consistent with this throughout the seasons so it’s only natural for the viewers to be confused when TVD want us to think of them this way and when they don’t. It varies from episode to episode depending on how they want to skew the story line. Consistency is one of the many problems that plague TVD, they did this better in the earlier seasons.

• tyranthraxus says:

I always wonder if that comes down to Writers cycling in and out. I tend to find shows with the same writing crew the whole way through seem to keep character consistency. When writers are let go or move on to new things shows tend to really feel it in the characters.

See: CASTLE.

• Moria says:

Consistency, re written history, character assassination you name it TVD’s got it. You hit on a good point tyranthraxus, they change writers every episode and that’s not good for any show.

• Mia says:

Julie Plec and Michael Narducci ~ I don’t want a cross over if it means you’re going to screw Klaroline over again. Please just don’t even do it, let things stay the same. We don’t need Klaus to encourage sterosnooze.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Just clarifying you sound unsure about Lily being a heretic or not. She’s just a regular vampire, same for Julian he’s just a vampire as well but like twice as old. The heretics are so loyal to them because they have been like parents to them, looking out for them and what not, and they were the ones who turned the heretics too. Lily and Julian were in love and looking to start their own family, that’s why Julian killed Valerie’s unborn child because he feared if Valerie had the child and stayed with Steffan like she wanted, that then Lily would be motivated to stay too and leave him. This was before they knew about heretics pretty sure Valerie was the first, but when Julian seen the power she had, he sought out more, and made them his family.

• Rachel says:

Steroline is my least favorite story line this season not only because of how they have been written but because of their lack of romantic chemistry. They are cute and that’s it. They are cute in a best friends way and it’s sad that they had to mess that up. They took the only best friend Stefan had left and forced and yes I mean forced him to have feelings for his best friend. For the past three seasons now the writers have crapped on Stefan’s character and this season is no different. He’s never allowed to have any feelings about anything and if he does the viewers tear him down for it just like they do with Bonnie. The blame all goes to the writers and show runners for that.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Caroline is a vampire, if anything she’s likely going to eventually be happy about the pregnancy, and the opportunity to have children an a normal life like she always kind of wanted. Yes it’s a violation becuz she never asked for it, but besides a spell nothing happened to her, and she’s a vampire, without this pregnancy she never would have had a chance to have children. This goes all the way back to season 2 when Katherine turned Caroline into a vampire and she missed her normal human life. Now she has that chance, as a vampire with these babies.

2. Scemma says:

Matt’s plan is going to take a wrong turn, I think he’s about to turn on everyone including Caroline and Bonnie. And I think those hunters are who ran vampires out of MF with Matt’s help. Episode 11 should be interesting to see Bonnie and Matt stand off, especially since Enzo is her BF in the future, her role in his rescue.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Enzo is going to be very angry with Matt, nothing he hates more than being imprisoned. And when Enzo finds out about Lily, he’ll lose it. Someone will notice Enzo missing too becuz of Lily, there’s no way he wouldn’t come see her, so Damon will be looking soon, if not at least so he can avoid his brother after what he said to Lily. Can’t wait for next episode!

3. Phoenix5634 says:

I think I know who’s hunting the Salvatore’s in the future flashes ^.^

• Moria says:

I think it’s Stefan’s daughter. Who do you think it is?

• Phoenix5634 says:

Well, Julian’s not dead, an a certain heretic sided with him, if she were to get in the way of the Salvatore’s and she were to die… I know another heretic who would likely be very upset about it, likely enough to hold a grudge… Or it could be the heretic that listened as Damon couched Lily into stacking herself.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Or it’s someone we haven’t seen yet. We don’t know how Beau lost his voice do we? And he had the same scar as I think Steffan had in the one future, right?

4. Donna says:

Best Steroline moment in this episode. And I think Klaus the hybrid is coming to Mystic Falls to cure Damon from the werewolf poison in flash-forward scene and help them to kill the new vampire hunter. Crossover will happen soon! I can’t wait for it :)

• Moria says:

Didn’t dig the steorline and I agree with whoever said they are cutesy, they’re too cutesy to be romantic. I view them more of a sibling or best friends. I hope they do a Klaus or Stefan crossover, TVD needs some pep. It needs a lifeline!

5. Chris says:

I was not surprised about Damon being a jerk to his mom. HELLO! She’s the reason that Elena is under the sleeping curse. I’m surprised he felt bad about it after 3 years.

Still don’t like heretic couple. They are still insufferable. Getting rid of them would be awesome. I was hoping TVD would pull their poetic stuff and kill one of them on their engagement day. I wasn’t expecting Lily to bite the big one.

I did want them dead though. Eventually, all of the heretics must go.

I’m aware that Kat Graham can’t be in every episode, but seriously? No one would ask Bonnie for help…?

• Moria says:

I too was hoping for one of the heretic couple to die but instead they killed Defan’s mother!? OK. I want the heretics gone as well but they should save Lily for last. Yes, not asking Bonnie for help was weird and her absence was felt especially after she agreed to help Damon with the plan. Could they not find another episode for Kat to miss?

• Phoenix5634 says:

I thought that one of them might die too, but I think I know why it didn’t happen this episode…Well now Mary Louise is on Julian’s side, I wonder if she’ll still stand by him… If she does, they might have to kill her, and how’s Nora going to take that?

And I actually like the heretics, I hope some of them arn’t killed off. It’d be cool to see a heretic on TO sometime.

• tnt says:

I wanted the heretics to be up to TO caliber but these are just whiny children and don’t fear for the gang like I did with TO. The heretics wouldn’t stand a chance next to the Mikaelsons they would squash them like a bug.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah I know, I never really expected them to be up the the Originals in calibre in a fight, heretics are basically regular vampires for their age, but with the added benefit to be able to take magic from their vampire side to preform small spells, and drain magic from another sources for bigger spells. But Klaus and the other Mikaelsons would find them very interesting, and they could really do a lot with them, as long as theyre not a direct villain.

• Chris says:

Instead of evacuating the town, they should have called Klaus. He would do just about anything for Caroline AND I don’t think he’d want heretics running around. If he couldn’t use them, then he’d kill them. I’m pretty sure he’d have to go with the kill option. Problem solved.

• Phoenix5634 says:

@ Chris
            Yeah I agree, and Klaus would very interested in the heretics, he’d want to learn as much as he could about them. Then he would either use the heretics, or kill them. But I don’t think he’d kill them all becuz Steffan would likely stand up for Valerie, and Beau is pretty reasonable, and on Valerie’s side now. Klaus would likely be kind of obsessed with the heretics, cuz they can be extremely useful to him. Plus both the heretics and the originals consider themselves the strongest creatures on earth because they’ve never met or heard of each others existence yet.

6. Phoenix5634 says:

I feel like the future scenes maybe a little bit becuz they’re connecting TVO and TO maybe…At some point the Originals is going to probably go forward a few years too, in order for Hope to grow up. I can’t wait to see what happens, crossovers or something of the sort would be awesome!

7. Liza says:

The character of Lily really grew on me and I was sad to see her go. I think it is time to make the time jump. The back and forth is too confusing at this point. And if they really want to make it EPIC, Caroline needs to be engaged to Klaus in the future!!!! Caroline and Stefan aren’t working. Klaus and Cami aren’t working. Both shows seems to be in trouble with the move to Friday’s, so a crossover like this could really help both shows.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I agree mostly. I was starting to like Lily more too, kind of sad to see her go. And yeah crossovers would be awesome to see, I love these shows now, but with crossovers they’d be even better.

8. Luli says:

So sad that Lily died!! I cried like a baby :( Can’t she come back? They always find a way of bringing back the death. Damn Mary Louise for choosing the wrong side. I don’t wanna see any other herectic family member die, except Julian. I like them all, and I think they are a breath of fresh air for the show.

I would take an Enzo’s death over any other character. Can the bring Lily back and kill him? I’m done with the character since they introduced him. So useless.

Does anyone know when will they make the time jump to the flashforwards? Are they doing it for the whole season?

• Z says:

They said the time jump will be at 2/3 in the season. They usually go on hiatus after episode 15 for a month at least, so I guess they will end the Heretics storyline and introduce the new hunters than 3 years in the future after the break.

9. missgoodytwoshoes says:

It was heartbreaking to watch Lily die. Everybody deserves a 2nd chance but she didn’t get one. So wishing the other side was still back there.. RIP Lily. Love you!

10. Phoenix5634 says:

I think Julian was manipulating Mary Louise with his display of emotions at the end. Did you see when he looked up at her at the last second, like he was calculating her reaction and if she’s still on his side. He was probly actually upset, but he needs someone on his side right now, or he’s in real trouble, and he’s knows it. He’s planning something.

11. Debbie-Jo says:

That epsiode was amazing!!! OMG. Who is damon seeing in the future??? And I hope they don’t cross over. No need too. Both shows are amazing at the minute. Why mess up a good thing?

***SPOILER ALERT***

I think Jeremy is helping Matt what you guys think????

Makes so much sense…. apparently he is supposed to return aswell.

*******************************************************************************************************************

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yes both shows are awesome by themselves now, but a cross over could just make them even better, if it’s written well.

• Rie says:

I honestly don’t see what anyone see’s in TVD that’s soooo good! Like what is so good about it? Seriously I want to know. The heretics are boring and the only one I sorta liked was Oscar but they got rid of him. The group is off doing their own things so we get no scenes of them together and there’s no communication between them. Bonnie could’ve and should’ve been used in this episode, um hello she is a witch. SC are the most boring couple Plec has put together but the duo Bamon that has chemistry and fire are sidelined. The flash forwards were interesting but now I’m pretty sure I understand what’s happening and it’s not that exciting anymore. This season should’ve been better with out dullena and Elena but all I am is disappointed.