Coldplay Super Bowl 50

Coldplay to Headline Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show

Coldplay fans must be in para-para-paradise with this news: The band will headline the Super Bowl 50 halftime show, our sister site Deadline reports.

The news comes after months of speculation about the halftime concert, with rumored performers including Bruno Mars and Maroon 5. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, Mars will make an appearance during Coldplay’s show, as might Beyoncé (who sings on the band’s new album, A Head Full of Dreams, out Dec. 4).

The big game on Feb. 7 will be Coldplay’s first Super Bowl performance. The band grabs the baton from Katy Perry, who headlined the most-watched halftime show ever last February.

Super Bowl 50 — taking place at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. — will air on CBS, followed by a live telecast of The Late Show With Stephen Colbert and a special edition of The Late Late Show With James Corden.

Looking forward to Coldplay’s Super Bowl performance? Hit the comments!

1. Best news ever! I’m going to watch Superbowl for the first time ever now. People will mostly complain and whine about this news since they think it’s cool to hate on Coldplay for no apparent reason whatsoever but I can assure you that if you’ve really been listening to their albums then they’re going to be anything but a snoozefest. Can’t wait. Great choice!

2. NO! definitely skipping this halftime

3. BrightLight says:

I thought they were supposed to announce on the Thursday Night Football game on CBS tonight who was headlining the Super Bowl show? Or maybe they said “co-headling?” I was in a turkey coma last week so I can’t be sure.

4. Walkie says:

Yikes.

5. Boston2AZ says:

Ooooooooo… will there be a Gwenyth duet, too?? Oh, pleasssssse??

6. Eric says:

Great choice. Coldplay writes some actual stadium rock (although with an increasingly poppy slant) that should appeal to football fans more than Katy Perry did.

• kpflat says:

If you were a football fan, you would know that neither of those options are appealing. The NFL doesn’t care about football fans at halftime, just women, and that’s who think Coldplay is rock…..women.

• ninergrl6 says:

Not this woman, who is a 49ers season ticket holder & paid for (a very small portion of) that stadium to be built. Give me pop like Bruno Mars & Katy Perry ANY DAY over Coldplay.

7. Ed says:

The NFL is 2 albums too late having Coldplay for the halftime show. Coldplay peaked with Mylo Xyloto.

Is Coldplay that desperate to pay NFL money to perform?

8. Guy says:

Not my favorite band but certainly a much much better choice than Maroon 5.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

So excited about the news. Really hope Coldplay will rocked the Super Bowl Halftime Show on February 7th. Also excited about Colbert and Corden after the big game.

10. A fan of TV says:

Without a doubt one of the most boring live shows I’ve ever seen. Will pass on the whole SB this year then!

11. ImperatoreFormaggio says:

“I can’t decide; should I go to a football game or a coldplay concert” said no football fan ever.

12. Saintsfan9 says:

This is a much better choice than Maroon 5. I might actually watch the halftime show now. Though if the Carolina Panthers are in the superbowl and leading at half time I will not watch the game. I can’t stand that team. Sorry to any panthers fans out there, that’s just my personal opinion.

13. ninergrl6 says:

ZZZZZZZZZ….. so disappointing. My stadium deserves better. The Taylor Swift concerts there in August were INCREDIBLE. I hope it’s at least a good game!