Nashville Season 4 Recap

Nashville Recap: Om Made

This week’s Nashville gives us a mantra, and I suggest we put it into use right quick:

When whiny alt-rockers get their man-scarves in a twist: “I love you. I’ve loved you my whole life, and I’m gonna keep doin’ that until I die.”

When bratty teens suck up screen time you’d rather spend watching baby Cadence roll around in a Pack-n-Play: “I love you. I’ve loved you my whole life, and I’m gonna keep doin’ that until I die.”

When being gay becomes the only thing Will is doing on the ABC drama: “I love you. I’ve loved you my whole life, and I’m gonna keep doin’ that until I die.”

Focusing on that incantation, uttered by the First Lady of Country Music herself and directed at Deacon, allows you to treat Mr. Claybourne’s childish fit like the too-loud breathing of the person on the mat next to you at Bikram yoga: That does not help me, and so I will not acknowledge it. It allows you to look past Maddie’s raging bitchery toward poor Daphne as if it were the caw-ing of a pigeon on your windowsill: That would be annoying if I were the type to be annoyed by that. And it helps you breeze by yet another (!) instance of bra-on sex between two people who are supposed to be burning for one another: The thought of such a ridiculous thing passes in and out of my mind like a train on a track.

In conclusion: The Nashville in me bows in acknowledgement of the Nashville in you. Now let’s get to the recap of “Three’s a Crowd.”

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW… EH, NEVERMIND | While Gunnar and Erin have been flirtily giggling their way through The Exes’ tour dates, Scarlett has been writing; she’s got seven new songs in her notebook, a fact that starts to irk her former flame. Speaking of flames: A kitchen fire in the Charlotte venue means the date gets rescheduled, so everyone on the tour has an unexpected free day. Before you can say “the world’s most tepid love story,” Scarlett is on a plane back to Music City to surprise Dr. Rand.

Problem with that, though: Caleb’s got too much going on at work to drop it all and hang out with his girlfriend. In fact, he treats Scarlett’s entire visit as though it’s a colonoscopy he scheduled six months ago and forgot to put on his calendar: necessary, but unpleasant. Even when she greets his homecoming with lots of white candles, he’s less than thrilled to have her back. (Side note: Caleb, you’re on TV — lots of white candles = sex! Are you bummed because your girlfriend, the person you LIVE with, refuses to get more naked during your alone time? I understand. And yes, I’m on the verge of making #brafreesex my Nashville crusade.)

Anyway, once Scarlett gently confronts him about how her 24 hours in town was less than magical, he immediately does that thing guys on this show do when cornered: He jumps from normal to nasty, saying his job is “real” and that he’s “not driving around, singing for 100 people a night and getting a few free beers out of it.” They don’t break up before she returns to the tour, but it’s a near thing. And when Scar rejoins the band — just after Gunnar tells Erin he’s over Scarlett, in a songwriting way or something — she looks sad.

DON’T LET THE DOOR HIT YA WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YA | Colt still won’t talk to Luke, except to be a snotty teen. Gabriella’s constant present probably doesn’t help, either, but it’s in no way the problem-causer Colt makes it out to be. When the exec brings up Luke’s imminent worldwide roll-out or whatever they’re calling it, Wheeler tries to find a little common ground with his son by saying, “Where I’m from, ‘branding’ meant taking a hot poker to a cow”… as if you haven’t been talking about putting your name on everything from microwave popcorn to incontinence pads for the last year, bro?

Luke’s attempts at father-son bonding don’t go any better once they’re home, leading Wheeler to demand that Gabriella call off the brand debut. And it doesn’t even matter, because after Colt and Luke nearly come to blows, the boy announces at the end of the episode that he’s going to live with his maternal grandfather. (Kudos to Will Chase, though, for how immediately broken Will looks upon realizing he nearly decked his kid.)

NO MONEY, ‘MO PROBLEMS | Avery is broke, and winds up having to scrap a live gig in order to sit in on a high-paying Diet Coke ad. (When do we think Emily is going to tell him that Juliette’s made contact with her?) Meanwhile, Will writes a song with Wade Cole, the singer who dodged a photo opp with young Lexington at that launch party a few episodes back. Wade claims he only did so because his wife is super conservative, but a simple Internet search reveals that the older man is a Prop 8-supporting, homosexual agenda-fearing enemy of Dorothy. And though Will seethes over Cole’s hypocrisy, in the end, he does nothing about it.

WHO NEEDS A TIME-OUT? | Maddie is mean to Daphne, and then when Daphne tries to conform to what she thinks her big sister wants, Maddie mocks her. They make up at the end, but I’m still mad at you, Maddie.

SHUT DOWN! | That brings us to Markus, who is falling in love with — and then promptly discarding — songs for his album like they’re free samples at a froyo parlor. When he meets Deacon, Markus hugs him, and Deke’s face all but screams, “Get your frosted tips off me, man.” In that twitchy, impulsive way he has, Markus suddenly decides that Deacon must contribute a song for the album. He goes out and buys everything Deacon ever recorded — on vinyl, naturally, because ugh — and Deacon’s face says it all.

Actually, there are some great expressions flying between Ray and Deke in this scene. I’ll just let them tell the tale:

Deke-1

rayna-1

deke-3

rayna-2

deke-4

rayna-3

But the hilarity ends when Markus changes the words to Deacon’s song… and Rayna kinda sides with the manchild instead of her man. Deacon later angrily points out that Markus is keen to shag his redheaded producer, but Rayna denies it (even though it’s totally true). In an effort to clear the air, Ray goes to Markus’ hotel room to make sure he’s aware that she’s spoken for. He answers the door bare-chested. “I just got out of the shower, sorry,” he says. “I see that…,” Rayna responds, and you know she mentally finished that thought with “…you put on jeans, a belt, those stupid beads and your Dylan McKay hooded duster but not a shirt?”

He plays it off like she’s crazy when she nicely says he’s got no chance with her — and the best part of the whole thing is how Deacon and Rayna have a laugh at Markus’ expense later, when they’ve made up and she’s reaffirmed her love for the man, the myth, the Claybourne. “He can change any damn lyric he wants,” Deke says, channeling Hamilton‘s Burr. “He can have the whole song: I got the real prize.” And then all that’s left is some in-home-recording-studio nookie!

1. Karen says:

Show is boring without Juliette. Wake me when is back and I will start watching again.

2. abz says:

The Scarlett/Doctor (I still don’t remember his name after how many episodes now) relationship needs to reach its inevitable conclusion already. Its a waste of airtime.
    Ugh, poor Daphne. Maddie is always such a b***h to her. Maddie’s become so unlikable lately. Even that resolution between the two of them wasn’t satisfying because she’s just gonna be a teenager again the next day. At least with Cole, there’s a reason behind the drama there and not just teenage problems.
    The whole Markus/Deacon jealousy drama feels like they just don’t know what to do with Rayna/Deacon now that he’s out of the woods. They want to create drama but this way just feels lame. I don’t want Markus to go because Rayna seriously needs a success for her label. Seriously, it’s ridiculous how many artists just abandon her or just never get through anything,
    I don’t get why they want to turn Will into just a song-writer. He loved entertaining. Why doesn’t he just sign with Rayna? She’d be completely supportive of him and maybe even encourage his song-writing. He’d be an addition to her roster and maybe allow his story to push forward and show that even after he came out maybe he can still be a successful singer (something similar to Jamal’s storyline on Empire but with country music).
    I miss Juliette. Wish Hayden a well and can’t wait to see her back.

• Shaun says:

Didn’t Will get angry with his old Boyfriend when it was suggested he be a writer?

• abz says:

Yeah, I think he did. I hate that they broke them up. They were great together. And now that they seem to be committing to this song-writing direction, it’d be great to see Kevin back.

• Larc says:

I think the writers dropped Kevin because they have another hookup in mind for Will.

• abz says:

Yeah, perhaps as someone suggested in a comment below, they might have that homphobic Wade Cole guy turn out to be closeted and start a relationship with Will. I hope that’s not the case though. I’d much rather see him with Kevin.

• Shira says:

Yes, he did. it’s not his goal and he didn’t even plan for it – but it happened and with a song he didn’t want to perform himself so now the question is will he seize the opportunity or not. Don’t think being a songwriter means he stopped dreaming about stage.

3. Shaun says:

I wouldn’t say he’s over Scarlett,but his songs aren’t all about her anymore.Maybe he’ll do some growing up on tour.

4. Karen says:

Tonight’s show was not my favorite episode of Nashville, but I still love the show.

5. That last Deacon & Rayna scene made up for this Markus nonsense…I need to repeat that mantra til next week…because of that damn promo. Are you kidding me Rayna James? I know it will end well but I am still not happ with this!!! Not ok.
    Other than that if Maddie goes back to being a b**** next week….she is getting on m last nerve – the way she was laughing in Daphne’s face! Ugh. This is my favorite show but I just wish they listened to us for once about what is working and what isn’t. I don’t want it to get cancelled.

6. steven says:

Now this show has two annoying teenagers: Maddie and Colt.

• Amy says:

I don’t agree at all…the Maddie and Colt stuff is so different, as Kim alluded to…the Maddie stuff is just teenage drama etc. The Colt/Luke storyline, I’m really appreciating..it has a moral lesson. And both actors are playing it SO well. I think Colt has really done a great turn-around from the beginning when he WAS just a bratty teen…now he seems deeper and wants his dad to own up and stand for something here. And Luke…man, I thought Will Chase was brilliant last night. I too loved his immediate, gut-wrenching reaction to his loss of temper where he raised his fist to his boy. I think that story-line, has something real to be worked out; I hope the writer’s do it justice and don’t “cheap out” on it.
      Have other thoughts from last night’s show, but no time to write more, right now.
      That said…still love this show, all the actor’s in it, young to old. Tks for the recap, Kimberly…I always come straight here to see your review, after watching it.
      I sure hope this show keeps going.,..I don’t know why for the life of me it is always “in danger”… I love it! (Even when I may roll my eyes to some of the “dramatic choices”…really Dayna?? (ie. next week’s previews?!…and is it really ALREADY “Winter break?!! Dang.)

7. Sissy says:

The good doctor was more into Scarlett when she was poor, pitiful, my hair’s my security blanket Scarlett. Now that she is Miss Independent Pixie, I will survive and win darn it Scarlett, he’s not jumpin’ on her, well, bandwagon. Maybe he thought all those burning candles meant the power went out…

8. Jean says:

I like Nashville but everyone on the show is miserable – why can’t anyone be happy? Rayna and Deacon were happy for about 5 minutes. Avery, Will, Luke, Colt, Scarlett, Maddie, Daphne, Gunnar (because he still loves Scarlett) – they are all miserable! And from the looks of next week’s previews – Rayna and Deacon’s 5 minutes is up!

9. Love Me Some Deacon! says:

Can’t stand Marcus, can’t believe Rayna puts Deacon on the back burner so much. And from the previews for the next ep, I think he’s got the right to be upset and yet she walks away from him again? Rayna, get over yourself!

• abz says:

This Markus drama is just unnecessary. In Rayna’s defense though, as much as she may be annoyed by Markus, she really needs things to work with him. Jealousy or no jealousy, the thing with Markus has to work out because Highway 65 is becoming a joke. Her artists keep abandoning her (e.g., Juliet, Sadie) or drama happens and delays album production (e.g., Layla). She needs a professional win soon.

• Elissa says:

We don’t know for sure that Rayna walks away from Deacon after he proposes – the promo could be misleading about that. I agree with you but let’s wait and see how it plays out next week. As for the kiss in the promo….very angry about that. Hope it ends with her punching him lol I guess she let her guard down cuz she made things super clear about their relationship and he seemed to understand. ugh Cmon Ray!

10. leo21 says:

I am so disappointed that Scarlett didn’t drop the boom on the doc this episode. Why are they drawing it out? The show would benefit from Scarlett in breakup song writing mode.

11. Joel says:

Wade is going to be a closeted homosexual that starts to have a tryst with Will. If that story line happens I will be upset.

• Sissy says:

I thought the same thing about Wade, but more along the lines that Will might be planning to “out” the guy. Why would Wade be so keen on working with Will? Maybe he is crushing on Will.

12. Shira says:

Didn’t expect that for sure, but I really enjoy the Luke/Colt storyline. The acting was great. It’s interesting between in a way, Luke is facing the same challenges he had with Rayna: Trying to balance between business success and family life without it compromising his integrity. With Rayna he could say she left because she didn’t love him enough (which is true) but it was also because she felt she’s losing her way by making choices in the “Luke” way. With Colt, Luke can’t say it’s another person’s fault and he must face the consequences and hopefully change things around.

As for Rayna and Deacon – think the jealousy stuff was expected because it’s inherited in these characters past. Deacon, for the longest time was the “Markus” of the story and Rayna was his mainly through music (remember at the beginning of the series when he refused to let her change the lyric to one of their songs for a commercial?) so it was very honest and quite touching when he said at the end “I’m not used to have you all to myself”. He REALLY doesn’t.

• Ann says:

Totally agree on the Rayna-Deacon thing. The risk was that the jealousy issue was going to dumb down Deacon’s character even more (after his lack of communication both about buying a bar and being a united front towards Maddie) but I don’t feel it did. Deacon has always been struggling with jealousy, guilt and anger issues, and he’s still fighting these demons, but this time without reverting to alcohol and … with Rayna by his side. What I love about this season is that as a couple, they are finally working through some deep stuff (loss and guilt, co-parenting and now jealousy) with Deacon freaking out as usual and with Rayna standing by him, staying strong and collected. Rayna gives Deacon the space to freak out and that in itself is healing: it allows him to really face his demons, be vulnerable and talk about the underlying core feelings: deep grief and guilt (the Bar/Beverly), fear of messing it up as a new (co-)parent (with Maddie) or feelings of insecurity and jealousy as her lover (after all, he was on the other side waiting for her and flirting with her for years).
      The difference is that Deacon is learning to face these issues and communicate them, instead of going for the fight or flight impulse, and that in itself is healing for him, and for their relationship. Let’s face it, this is a drama-series: Deyna is an adorable mess made in heaven and their relationship inevitably will get rocky at times, but underneath they are very solid. So, I’m not fooled by next week’s promo. I’m sure they will be fine and firmly believe that ‘this week’s mantra’ is mutual for them: “I love you. I’ve loved you my whole life, and I’m gonna keep doin’ that until I die.” Their love for each other will save them, over and over again.

13. There seems to be a split here about Colt… count me among the people that are rooting on his moodiness. He has a reason and its beyond the “Luke brand”. He is pissed cuz his dad is LYING about about how smurky turtle (aka Jeff) died. He has every reason to be pissy with him. What Will is doing is practically criminal since it is tantamount to insurance fraud. (Companies will not pay out for suicides)!

I am annoyed with Will and was happy to see Avery call him out. Make a decision – make the right decision. DO NOT work with the hypocrite. Avery being hard up for money makes sense and its sad to see his character struggle to book gigs – he has made a name for himself and the guy can sing! Quick Avery, join back up with the Exes cuz they will need an intervention again soon!

Speaking of the Exes… will Scarlet please end things with this insufferable doctor already. I have been saying for weeks that he did not respect her career and last night was the icing on that cake.

Finally, Deacon, Rayna and the new guy – she needs a record out of him. But damn, can’t anyone work with her without wanting to get involved. Deacon is silly jealous and right – that guy is making moves on his lady.Was glad to see there was acknowledgement and resolution to that “song fight.” And it was great to see Rayna put Deac’s feelings at ease by telling the Markus that he doesn’t have a chance. Geez I hope that preview is a bait and switch.

I refuse to speak of Maddie. I can’t stand what they did to her. If I could have jumped into the TV to slap her, I would have. That scene with Daphne was beyond words.

14. Looch says:

Isn’t it time for Deacon and Rayna to be just plain happy?? (maybe that’s just too boring for the show) Really! can’t stand this jealous behavior. I REALLY have a problem with this Marcus guy. He’s definitely trying to split them up!
    Seems like her label is always on the verge of collapse. I think Will would be a great one to sign. He’s certainly talented enough, Then maybe she can put Marcus away!
    Looking at next week’s previews is making me upset! I ve been looking forward to this wedding for a long time! I’m hoping this preview isn’t what it looks like :(

15. Ryan says:

HAMILTON!!!!!

Sorry. Excellent comparison.

I’m just gonna go alternate soundtracks now.

16. Trent says:

WE WANT JULIETTE! WE WANT LAYLA! WE WANT JULIETTE! WE WANT LAYLA! …