Patton Oswalt Boards MST3K Revival

Patton Oswalt is ready to push the button.

The King of Queens alum has joined the upcoming revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000 as Dr. Clayton Forrester’s latest henchman, TV’s Son of TV’s Frank.

The announcement comes as the Kickstarter campaign to resurrect MST3K marks another milestone: Having surpassed its $2 million goal by nearly $1.5 million, creator Joel Hodgson will now be able to produce a minimum of six full-length episodes.

Oswalt — whose recent acting credits include Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Veep — joins previously announced cast members Felicia Day (Supernatural), Jonah Ray (the Nerdist podcast), Baron Vaughn (Grace and Frankie) and Hampton Yount.

Excited to see Oswalt in action? Sound off below!

1. Lavendare says:

Even though Joel has left open the possibility of guest appearances by the original cast/writers, there seems to be a growing vibe that Trace, Kevin, Mike, Frank, Mary Jo, Bridget, Bill, and Josh were kept out of the loop about many things about the reboot.

• What are their beefs now? Didn’t most of them make a few Cinematic Titanics together?

• Lavendare says:

Much of it has to do with years of them all being ripped off financially by Jim Mallon/Best Brains.

Trace and Kevin received a very small percentage of the profits/residuals post-1999. The other cast/writers have received nothing since the show ended.

In addition, Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff posted on their respective Twitters yesterday that they are not pleased with the casting decisions.

By the way, since you mentioned CT, let me give a shout out to Rifftrax.

2. Lavendare says:

It is worth noting that Patton Oswalt, a funny comedian, hosted a 2008 reunion of the MST3K cast.

However, he didn’t know Paul, Bridget, or (sigh) Bill, and asked them to introduce themselves.

It was a bit awkward.

3. Lavendare says:

I do want the reboot to go well, but I’d hate to have animosity develop between Joel and the rest of the former cast/writers.

Especially after all those years of them all being ripped off financially by Jim Mallon/Best Brains.

4. swervo says:

I personally think the kickstarter is a great idea though I too am sad to see some of the old cast acting weirdly about it, but I think Joel has worked hard to bring his vision back for a new generation and it is worth supporting. And I really hope it gets all $5.5 million.

5. Dave James says:

I hate this show! I know a lot of people watch it regularly, but I just can’t stand watching it. But I’m probably alone in this.

• Well seeing as this is about the show, and that we all are here for that, then yes I think you are alone in this… Why are you here? Your right to hate is your right, but don’t show up to the game only to say you hate the sport :P

6. The Beach says:

I loved Constable Bob.

7. Captain Average says:

Great news! But isn’t it past time to stop referring to him as ‘The King of Queens alum’? (That’s just mean!)