Gotham Ratings Season 2

Ratings: Gotham Rises, Ties Supergirl

The fall finale of Fox’s Gotham on Monday night drew 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating (per finals), rising 11 percent and two tenths week-to-week to tie its season high in the demo and match CBS’ Supergirl in the demo for the first time this season (in Live+Same Day ratings).

Leading out of that, the Minority Report finale (2.2 mil/0.7) surged 47 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Supergirl (8 mil/1.6) was up 12 percent and a tenth.

NBC | The Voice (12.6 mil/2.8) rose 27 percent and two tenths week-to-week, hitting a season high in audience for a Monday telecast. The double-episode sneak peek of Superstore drew 7.2 mil/2.0 and then 5.4 mil/1.6.

ABC | Leading out of its own 50th anniversary special (7.2 mil/1.8), A Charlie Brown Christmas (7.3 mil/2.0) delivered its most watched telecast since November 2012. The Great Holiday Baking Show (4.4 mil/1.2) tied ABC’s demo high in the time slot for the season.

THE CW | Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (1 mil/0.3) was flat.

1. Boiler says:

Viewership of things like that baking show blows my mind. Just another reason we get mindless TV. Now way that show better than Castle.

• Ray says:

Well, the show on which it is based–The Great British Bakeoff–is actually an hour of delightful television. However, the American holiday counterpart/spinoff is a poor imitation which has none of the charm of the original.

• dan says:

We watched the show last night and it was remarkably similar to the CBS Summer Baking show from 2014. The location and tent used to house the contest looked the same, the judging events had the same names (“signature bake” then “technical bake” followed by “the showstopper bake”), and the structure of the show was the same. Only the name of the show, the hosts and judges were different. I assume it was produced by the same company that made the CBS show last year. There was no suspense; it was clear who was being eliminated. Not sure we’ll watch it again.

• Drew says:

They’re basically the same show, both based on the same British baking competition series.

• GBBO FTW says:

I believe CBS copied the original British show, The Great British Bakeoff (which airs on PBS as The Great British Baking Show). They probably did it without permission and got shut down. The one last night clearly had the imprimatur of the original. given judge Mary Berry’s presence. Buy wow, are THOSE the best bakers they could find in the United States? Embarrassing.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

In my honest opinion, I enjoy Supergirl and I’m happy that it got a full season order by CBS even though it’s going to run just 20 episodes instead of the traditional 22.

• tvjunkie says:

22 isnt really a tradition. If you look at TV as decades as they pass the number of new episodes per season seen as “tradition” keeps declining. Perhaps this is just the start of 20 being the new normal.

3. Bwhit says:

I don’t know if it was because I was really tired and punchy but I thought superstore was pretty funny. I normally don’t care for NBC comedies, but I enjoyed it.

• Julia says:

I’m with you! I was laughing throughout and maybe it was because I was in the mood for a silly comedy after an exhausting Thanksgiving weekend. Really liked it though.

4. rcb918 says:

I really enjoyed Superstore and am glad it did well in the ratings, even if it was thanks to having The Voice as a lead-in. While I would love to see it succeed, the fact that the previous two shows to score so high were both cancelled doesn’t give me a lot of faith.

5. DavidJ says:

Glad to see Supergirl tick up a bit in the ratings. It may not exactly be blowing the roof off the place, but at least it seems to be holding steady now.
    I do wish though there was a reliable place to get the delayed viewing numbers from though, since networks are relying a lot more heavily on that now. But it seems like websites only release that stuff at random times or when there’s a notable increase they want to talk about or something.

• chiguy79 says:

Not sure if we can post links here but there’s a site called tv by the numbers (all one word) that shows all the rating numbers, fast report and next day adjusted as well as weekly numbers that account for time shifted viewing. I’m sure there are others as well if you do some google research but that’s the one I find the easiest to go to.

6. curtlyon19 says:

I gotta say, this show has gone way,way too dark, vicious, mean, and murderous with absolutely no ‘comic book’ tones anymore
    shoulda kept Minority Report, but, a fan no longer for Gotham

• Drew says:

No comic book tones? Have you read the comic books? The show has a ton of comic book tone, and more specifically, it captures Gotham City perfectly.

• I think you’re confusing funny paper comics with the comics that Batman came from. The original Batman wielded a gun and regularly murdered criminals. Later iterations had the Joker murdering Robin, Batman getting his back broken and Batgirl becoming paralyzed. Yeah, none of those things stuck, but at the time they were bleak and make Gotham tame by comparison. If you want dark, see what happens to Tim Drake in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

7. Drew says:

Gotham was great last night. This season has been even better than season 1 and I can’t wait to see where it goes from here. Though I know that it was designed to keep us from ever seeing Batman appear, part of me hopes that she show runs long enough to see it happen.

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy Gotham’s ratings went up for the fall finale. It was a great episode.

9. kmw says:

Good for Gotham didn’t think they would stay so consistent. It seemed like a good night for most shows. A baking show tied Castle in demo? Wow that surprises me a little

10. herman1959 says:

Sorry, I think it’s too early to celebrate Superstore. Growing Up Fisher, an intelligent and charming show with early high ratings, was summarily cancelled by NBC in favor of About A Boy which they also eventually cancelled. Just wait.

11. Lea says:

Of course Gotham’s ratings went up, a lot of people who don’t watch the show (and probably will never watch it again) tuned in just for the Batman v Superman teaser.

12. Rafael says:

Intense anger in equilibrium between Supergirl and Gotham?

13. ninergrl6 says:

I want to love Supergirl because I adore some of the cast members (Jeremy Jordan in particular), but it’s just not grabbing me. It fine, there’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not compelling “OMG I can’t wait to see what happens next” TV for me. I guess the superhero battle-of-the-week thing just doesn’t do it for me. What I do GENUINELY LOVE, however, is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It’s fresh, snarky, and utterly ridiculous at times, but I can’t get enough. The closing song “California Christmastime” was an instant download for me. I feel like I’m cheating on Supergirl when I choose to watch CEG live instead but I can’t help it — CEG is a much more entertaining show.

14. Jay says:

Can we have the ratings in a table which is easier to read/follow?