Exclusive

The Wiz Live Video: Dorothy and Friends Ease on Down... to The Voice?!

It’s the dream of pretty much every hopeful who shows up for The Voice blind auditions: Getting a four-chair turn that moves at least one coach to tears.

But in the case of Dorothy Gale (Shanice Williams) from NBC’s upcoming The Wiz Live (Thursday, 8/7c) the fulfillment of said dream comes with a minor complication.

As you’ll see in the exclusive video below, the cryer in question turns out to be the Tin Man (Ne-Yo)… and well, salty water + rustable materials aren’t necessarily the best combination.

Press PLAY for Dorothy’s full “audition,” then hit the comments and tell us if you’ll be watching The Wiz Live.

1. Drew says:

I haven’t been a fan of the choice of The Wiz, but I was considering watching it anyway… until I watched the Thanksgiving Day Parade and saw their performance. There’s no way I could sit through hours of that.
    NBC had something special when they did The Sound of Music. They had a chance to make this into a real holiday tradition. Then they ran it into the ground as fast as possible. Peter Pan was a painful disaster and The Wiz looks annoying.

2. Greg Cantin says:

After seeing the promos for The Wiz, I wouldn’t watch this clip or the event with your eyes. UGH!

3. CK2 says:

I don’t understand the naysayers, but then again people were deriding the choice of the Wiz before the parts were even cast. The Wiz is looking like it’s shaping up to be fantastic. From a production standpoint, it’s already starting up to look better than NBCs previous outings.

• Money talks. says:

Thank you, NBC publicist.

• Jakay says:

I think maybe they don’t know that The Wiz is not the same thing as The Wizard of Oz? That’s the only thing I can think of, because this honestly looks great. So much more care put into it than either Sound of Music or Peter Pan, which both suffered from a vacuum where there should’ve been a leading lady. Grease isn’t my favorite show and it looks like it will have the same problem. But the cast (and the costumes) for this Wiz look awesome.

4. CJ says:

No, non, nyet, thank God for the dvr..

5. Sara says:

I’m pretty excited for this! It looks like it will be a great performance! I love The Wiz and the cast they have put together seems top notch! Not to mention how gorgeous the costumes look in the promos!

6. dan says:

I don’t like musicals and I don’t like remakes. This aint for me.

7. Alonzo says:

I’m really excited about this one. The girl playing Dorothy has a fantastic voice and I like how bright and colorful the sets and costumes look. Plus Uzo Adoba from Orange is the New Black is classically trained. Should be top notch!