Family Matters Reunion

Family Matters Stars Reunite in New Lifetime Christmas Movie — See Photo

It’s a rare condition, this day and age, to read any news about the cast of Family Matters reuniting — so let’s all thank Lifetime for making that rarity a reality.

Reginald VelJohnson and Jo Marie Payton, who played Carl and Harriette Winslow on the ABC/CBS sitcom from 1989 to 1998, will once again share the small screen in The Flight Before Christmas, premiering Saturday at 8/7c.

Family Matters ReunionSure, the movie technically stars Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory) and Ryan McPartlin (Chuck) as a pair of harrowed holiday travelers, but we all know you’re really going to tune in for a taste of that unmistakable Winslow chemistry.

Though both actors worked steadily after wrapping Family Matters — VelJohnson recurred on a number of series, including Mike & Molly and Hart of Dixie, while Payton held down a series regular role on Disney Channel’s The Proud Family — this marks their first on-camera reunion since the role of Harriette was taken over by another actress in the show’s final season. (Yes, that really happened.)

Does seeing this timeless couple back together bring back any old emotions? Drop a comment with your thoughts on their reunion below.

1. KayCeeCee says:

Yay!! This makes me happy! I will watch the show partly to see them.

2. Oh, so many wonderful reasons to watch this movie now!!! Thank you for bringing this little bit of this cheerful scoop to us. :-)

3. Mary says:

I loved it when Veljohnson appeared as his character from Die Hard in an episode of Chuck and was Big Mike’s cousin.

4. Stacy says:

They did have great onscreen chemistry! This is a fun, smart move for a TV movie. Even if it isn’t actually starring them.

5. Blawesome says:

whoa…I just realized ‘Blossom’ and ‘Captain Awesome’ rhyme…blew my mind

6. Jared says:

It’s really great to be a 90’s kid now a days with all the reboots . Now all I need is a Step by Step reunion and all my favorite TGIF shows will have come full circle.

7. TvPeong says:

Aww… I will watch. I’m really enjoying the Hallmark movies this year.

8. Denysecollymore says:

Can’t wait to see the movie. It should be really good.

9. Denysecollymore says:

Wonderfull

10. Tater says:

Are they actually reprising their roles as The Winslows?? Either way I’m stoked..haha.

11. Zenobia L Silas-Carson says:

I really did not think I would enjoy the Hallmark movies this year but I have surprised myself and really love them! Could it be that with all the upheaval in our country that seeing something innocent and sweet, though sometimes overly so, satisfies the longing that we all have for things to either return to or bring itself to a better state of mind? I dunno, but I plan to continue watching and I will definitely watch this one. Good to trim the tree by!

12. Maisha G says:

Just saw Ms.Payton on NBC talking about The Wiz Live! She is one busy lady…
    It will be great to see her with “Carl” again! Maybe there could be a spin-off same as the way “Family Matters” started?

13. Lindsey says:

I watched it! Thought it was great! 👍👍

14. Cory Bates says:

PRETTY PLEASE let there be a Family Matted revival similar to Fuller House! I would LOVE to watch it! I would be fine with new characters as their tv offspring(Eddie and Laura’s kid, etc) just as long as Urkel will reprise his role. Let’s face it, there would be no family matter without Jaleel White if it wasn’t for his comedy skill. He’s an extremely profitable actor. I’ve never watched him at all since 1998. I wouldn’t mind spending some money just watching it!! Please make it happen! They obviously deserve at least 1 last run. Pretty please make it happen!!