Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Rebecca Mother Visit Recap

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Fall Finale Recap: Tidings of Comfort and Oy

When your family gets on your last nerve this holiday season, be grateful that at least you’re not lying about British Jews and making up the concept of underprivileged lawyers in order to impress your battle ax of a mother — like Rebecca does in this week’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

The series’ fall finale finds Mrs. Bunch arriving in West Covina to celebrate Hanukkah with her only child, but the festival of lights is anything but joyful or fun for either of them. Mama Bunch nitpicks, complains, kvetches and generally makes Rebecca feel like a failure for not meeting her mom’s extremely exacting standards. All of this weighs heavily on Rebecca, who hopes that her mother is there to finally give her a family ring she’s long coveted.

So the lawyer does what she always does: She lies with abandon in order to impress someone whose opinion she probably shouldn’t consider so much. She pretends that Whitefeather & Associates is a charity where she mentors “underprivileged lawyers.” She says she practices law at a really observant Jewish firm that’s closed for Hanukkah. And she asks Paula to pretend to be someone fancy — Paula interprets this as “a Jewish woman from London” — in order to convince Mrs. Bunch that “My life is just filled with winners.”

Let’s take a small break to deal with what’s going on with Greg. As the barkeep complains that he has to attend an annual holiday dinner with his mom, stepfather and teen half-siblings, Heather — who’s working as an elf at the mall — decides that she’d like to go to the meal with him. But when they get there, Greg’s mom is Mel from thirtysomething and she’s nice and awesome. The entire family is great, actually —  but, as Heather points out, Greg’s the one being a major grinch. So once they work through a few things (like Greg’s crushing sadness at his mother leaving his dad), the situation gets a lot better. And later, when Greg flirts with Rebecca’s Manic Panic’d neighbor, she kisses him. I did not even know this ‘ship was in port, but tell you what: I’m buying a ticket!

RELATED iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Snag Additional Episode Orders at The CW

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Rebecca Mom Visit Recap

After Mrs. Bunch throws herself at Calvin and gives Rebecca a vase (though not the ring), the Bunch women are walking the mall when they inadvertently stumble upon Josh Chan performing in the high school hip-hop group’s Winter Wonderland gig. (It’s a whole thing… that boils down to the fact that he maybe finally realizes he’s an adult man and no longer a teen bro.) Mrs. Bunch gives Rebecca a hard time for moving to California for her camp boyfriend, and Rebecca counters that her mother should want to see her happy.

“Happy? What’s happy? That’s a term for stupid people,” Mrs. Bunch says, starting to cry as she adds that she wants Rebecca to be a survivor — and the fact that she fought back against her mom proves that she is. Pretty soon, they’re both sobbing and embracing, then Mrs. Bunch leaves to go back home. (Side note: The scene is just as messed-up and touching as it sounds.)

Then, all that’s left is for a big number about Christmas in California! While that’s happening, I’d like to point out that Tovah Feldshuh killed it in this episode, Vincent Rodriguez III must have springs in his feet, and “A bishop in Wisconsin said something anti-semitic/so the temple has decided to boycott cheddar cheese” is one of my favorite Crazy Ex lines all season. Happy holidays to all!

What did you think of the episode and the first half of the season in general? Sound off in the comments!

1. Michelle says:

It’s Paula not Donna :)

2. Jakay says:

And it’s anti-semitic, not semetic. Meanwhile, Rebecca’s mother was so awful it was kind of on the edge of “I don’t know if I want to watch this” for me. Greg and Heather was a lot more fun than I expected (because who expected Greg and Heather at all?) and now I’m not sure that Rebecca and Greg are actually the end game. Oh well — it will be a fun journey till we get there!

3. Jess says:

I’m not ready to give up on Rebecca and Greg, but I’m definitely going to enjoy seeing Greg and Heather together while it lasts.

Super cute episode of a really stellar show. Definitely my favorite new show of the season – I wish it could get the ratings it deserves.

4. newy says:

This is the best show on TV right now. That last song where everybody sings, awesome! Though I miss Valencia too.

5. herman1959 says:

OK, you’ve got me, this does sound good…I’ll try it.

6. DreamRose311 says:

This show is so wacky, I just adore it. Nothing quite like it.

7. Viv says:

This show is funny.
    This show is smart.
    This show is crazy in a good way. Best new show in a long time.
    The songs are the funniest and I love how they do a different genre each time.
    Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit.
    Please everyone watch it so it stays one the air!

8. Keith says:

I look forward to this show every week. It’s fun, smart and light. The Greg and Heather story line was the best part of the show. More people need to start watching this show. Sometimes the title of a show scares off too many people.

9. Rachel Bloom is amazing. Tovah Feldshuh shocked me with her song–so good, although the lip synching was just a little bit off, but those things can happen when you need to go to the bathroom really badly. Mel Harris has aged well. Greg continues to be my favorite character–he can flat-out pull off throwaway one-liners as well as anyone. Josh’s athletic dancing took me by surprise–I guess all that beef if pure muscle. He’s still the weakest and most under developed character, but that might be on purpose. And Paula was pretty nimble on her feet in that last group song. Please people, watch this one-of-a-kind, wonderful show.

10. robandco says:

Amazing. This show is fun. I know it’s weird and musicals are off-putting but the characters are so adorable. That “Where’s your bathroom” song was so on point.
    I didn’t expected Greg and Heather. I hope Rebecca wakes up ASAP and fights for him. Josh is so wrong for her. He’s a child. He needs character development, like Heather IMO.

11. keylimepie78 says:

I’m glad I stuck with this show. I didn’t care for the first few episodes but somewhere along the way, I got hooked. These last two eps might be the best yet. Can’t wait to see where the show goes.

12. Marci says:

I’ve always loved Tovah Feldshuh, and she was pitch-perfect in this episode. I hope we see her again soon, and often.

13. ninergrl6 says:

I absolutely adore this show! “California Christmastime” was an instant download for me, and the mom’s bathroom song at the beginning was pretty brilliant. The writing on this show (musical & otherwise) is so clever & quirky & spot on perfect, I can’t stop gushing about it & telling everyone I know to watch. People don’t know the brilliance & fun they’re missing!

14. farleyc says:

Tovah was beyond brilliant! I’ve watched her song again and again! Incredible!!! Oy!

15. Phil says:

The mom’s song was almost where I couldn’t take it anymore – how people can be that selfish and offhandedly-intentionally insulting I don’t understand. I wish everyone who identifies with that song would not think of it as a celebration, but an indictment of that kind of vindictive and victimizing behavior.
    This was my least favorite episode of this crazy show, but I did enjoy Greg’s plotline. That was really unexpected and well-executed.

16. Dee Karvois says:

I really like this show and hope it lives to see season 2. Original bias was against a musical dance show but I was intrigued by the title and premise. Instead of dreading those moments, I actually enjoy them.

Is Josh’s portrayer a trained dancer? His dance moves in the last scene looked more polished and professional in comparison to the rest of the cast.