The Voice: Advice — and Dream Set Lists — for the Season 9 Top 10

We’re a mere 10 days away from The Great and Unforgiving Bloodletting of The Voice Season 9 — and that means whether you’re a fan of front-runner Jordan Smith or underdog Korin Bukowski, you’ve got a reason to be on edge.

Indeed, on Dec.8, a whopping five artists will get the boot — leaving four singers to duke it out in the following week’s finale. Which, in essence, means there’s absolutely no room for error — in terms of song choice or execution – from now until the season-ending confetti shower.

That’s why I’ve put together a handy gallery including a key tip for each contestant — along with a handful of suggested songs that could push him or her to new (and unexpected) heights.

Peruse the gallery below (or CLICK HERE for direct access) to see what I’ve cooked up for Jeffery, Madi, Emily Ann, Amy and their competitors, then hit the comments with your own suggestions and dream set lists!

1. Amy says:

I’d probably give Shelby Kelly Clarkson’s ‘Since U Been Gone’ for the controlled verse and belter chorus. Zach the Wynonna Judd version of Elvis’s ‘Burning Love’ for some hybrid Elvis. Korin – the Aurora version of Oasis’s Half the World Away.

Though I disagree about the comment about Jordan needing to show us what he’s about. He wants to do Christian music, probably Christian pop. And he could probably succeed there.

2. Edward says:

Korin- She used to be mine by Sarah Bareilles
    Amy – Waterfalls by TLC
    Jordan – Hold On by Alabama shakes
    Barett – Drink You away by Justin Timberlake
    Madi – bottom of the river by delta Rae
    Zach – the rose by Conway Twitty
    Braiden – Drag me down by One Direction
    Jeffery – Work Song by Hozier
    Emily- Follow Your Arrow – Kacey Musgrave
    Shelby – Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine

3. Eric7740 says:

Jordan- How Great Thou Art, I Wanna Know What Love Is, and he may be the only contestant to tackle an Adele song!!!
    Jeffrey- Thinkin’ Out Loud (Ed Sheeran)
    Emily Ann- Follow Your Arrow ( I agree with you Edward) or You’re Cheatin’ Heart
    Barrett- Whatever It Is (Zach Brown Band)
    Shelby- Any Carrie Underwood ballad maybe The Rose (Bette Midler)
    The others I really don’t care about. That is all

4. frank says:

First off, this is ridiculous. Why are 5 artists getting eliminated at once? That just makes no sense and takes all the fun away from the show. Instead of cutting on live shows, they should be cutting the battle rounds and just do some clips of them and show us the really entertaining ones (like clips of the ones that neither artist makes it to the top 20)
    Amy needs to do When You Wish upon a Star from Pinnochio, she would slayyyy that vocal. Korin could kill Fight Song by Rachel Platten. Jordan could do Send My Love (to Your New Lover) by Adele. Emily Ann should do Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood. Barrett should do Sweet Home Alabama by Kid Rock. Madi should do Back to Black by Amy Winehouse. I dont really have a song suggestion for Jeffrey but he could do whatever he wanted he’s really good. Shelby should do Wasting all These Tears by Cassadee Pope. I don’t care much for Braiden to be honest, so I’m not sure what he should sing. Zach should just go home already because he doesn’t have the slightest bit of talent and is solely relying on the teenage girl vote to push him through the competition. That is all :)

5. John NYC says:

Christmas carols!

6. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Jordan needs to sing anything up tempo. We get that he can do a mean ballad, but like this article says, if he wants staying power on the show and beyond, he needs to diversify. I’d go with “Whataya Want From Me.”

7. Patricia Givens says:

I was an avid Voice watcher. I stopped watching so much lately because the good African Americans singers are always loosers. I am Not trying to start nothing But this is not what I expect especially when it has been happening since the show been on air. Just saying!

• brendalaw says:

I tweeted Adam and Blake about the lack of diversity told them they had been committed to it in the past. I stopped watching the show and come to TV Line to hear Michael’s biased opinions. Michael keeps harping on its the Voice that counts. I challenge him to do a retrospective a complete review of where the winners landed, their Cd, live concerts, late night show appearances, their record label. What happened to Adam’s last winner. I saw her on a shampoo commercial but what else. Grimmy great voice landed her a wardrobe room job. If this is just a singing contest why all of props on stage. I am not wasting my time I have great singers in the neighborhood I thought this was a star is born thing. I just check out Michael’s column he seems to have a pipeline to the powers that be. His remarks come suspiciously close to setup payola. I would pick my words a little bit more wisely, Michael.

8. Glenn Neal says:

Emily or Korin should sing a Allison Krauss song

9. abz says:

I already know that I want Jeffrey Austin to win this season. I don’t see the hype over Jordan. He kind of bores me. I fastforward a lot of his performances much like I do with the redundant coach commentaries.
    In previous seasons, this massive number of contestants being cut would have pissed me off majorly, but this season is very lackluster as it is and the only interesting contestant for me is Jeffrey. If things are done right, Gwen could be the first female coach to win The Voice. But knowing how lame the voters of this show can be (seriously, how is Braiden Sunshine still on the show?), its probably gonna be one of Blake’s boring contestant or Jordan.
    Can’t wait for Christina Aguilera to return to coach next season. I know I’m probably in the minority, but I’ve always enjoyed watching her coach.

10. Static says:

Jeffrey – Florida-Georgia Line’s “Dirt”
    Amy – Jennifer Lawrence’s “Hanging Tree”
    Korin – Taylor Swift’s “Out of the Woods” (acoustic)
    Barrett – Casting Crowns’ “Does Anybody Hear Her”
    Madi – Sufjan Stevens’ “Carrie and Lowell”
    Emily Ann – The Cranberries’ “Linger” (given the country treatment, naturally)
    Jordan – Panic! at the Disco’s “This Is Gospel”
    Shelby – Gavin DeGraw’s “Sweeter”

don’t much care for zach or braiden

11. Carfield says:

Just looking at some of the song choices tonight (for example Hallelujah by the most predictable contestant tonight – considered Matthew Schuler from Team Christina just gave an amazing performance two years ago, and Joshua Davis from Team Adam sang it again in the finale just a few months ago) – I wish they should have looked at your list first! Yes I know those song choices are made weeks ago, but they can still reference your list. Tonight will be an interesting night – everything from Selena Gomez to Whitney Houston.

I think it will be fun if Michael can start a list of songs to be banned from the reality singing competitions.

• Patricia Givens says:

Sorry I am Out The Voice does not have enough Deversity in its history box for me. Granted some of the white kids can sing BUT no one of color specifically AA has ever won. I have my suspensions about This.

12. Juli D says:

For me I would love for Amy to sing a Sade song.. maybe Smooth Operator. As far as I’m concerned Jeffrey can sing anything. Here’s hoping that Jordan doesn’t win (even though I like him) he’s not as solid and enjoyable for me as Jeffrey.

13. Jane Russell says:

I’d like to see my sing a song by Ricky Lee Jones, like “Chucky’s in Love” or the like.

14. Colleen says:

Barrett Baber is always compared to Garth Brooks by Blake. How about “The Dance”? Would love to hear him do that song.

15. Monty says:

My suggestion for Jordan Smith would no doubt be “How Great Thou Art”. If you hear Carrie Underwood sing it and then imagine Jordan singing it in the same manner you will get what I mean. Sing it, win it.

16. Vincent says: