Thanksgiving Day Parade 2015

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2015: Al Roker's Tummy Poke, the Scariest Balloons and More Weirdness

You’ve got to love the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, that one magical event every year where the Kool-Aid Guy and Hello Kitty can put their politics aside — they have opposing views about Palestine — and just be thankful they’re both still relevant.

This year’s spectacle might have appeared to be business-as-usual, but if you really paid attention — specifically to every delightfully bizarre question asked by America’s foremost sharter Al Roker — there was plenty to get excited about.

From the weirdly terrifying children’s balloons to Roker’s question about how Blindspot‘s Jaimie Alexander memorizes her lines despite (her character!) having no memory, TVLine has curated 16 must-discuss moments from this year’s annual walk-and-balk event.

Click through our gallery below — or click here for direct access — then drop a comment: What were your take-aways from this year’s Thanksgiving parade telecast?

1. Matt C. says:

I was wondering if Al made that giggle or if it was a sound effect! So creepy…

2. Meridith says:

Am I the only one that saw the Rockette stumble during her turn?

3. Bella says:

I’m always annoyed by the fact that we see way more talking heads and very little of the actual parade.

• sarahbeth81 says:

Yup, me too. I feel like its become more and more a promo for Broadway and NBC and much less about the parade itself. I always love seeing the marching bands but I feel like we just saw them in the background as Al yapped at someone about their show or whatever. I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes I was so aggravated.

• Damian says:

Hmm. You must not really be too big a fan of the parade. Either that, or you’re just not all that intelligent because if you were either of those things, you would easily notice when you watch that all the Broadway/NBC performances and the celebrity interviews by Al all happen during the first hour while waiting for the parade to actually arrive in front of Macy’s. It doesn’t just magically appear right there on that green square on your tv screen and then start randomly from that point. It’s just that part of the parade route is where everything has its own special moment to be featured as it passes through that section. The Broadway/NBC performances and celebrity interviews end just before the start of the parade arrives there, which you would notice if you were watching since the band and the police on motorcycles is what always begins the parade. It’s almost like there are a ton of people working super hard to make sure everything is timed perfectly so that it all works out that way! What a crazy idea, right? Long story short, I find your comment quite negative and that not only does it add nothing of value to the conversation, but I’m also pretty positive that that’s not necessarily what Bella was referring to. This is just my opinion, but it seems to me as though she’s actually referring to there being too much camera time on the news anchors (AFTER the parade has actually begun arriving in front of Macy’s) instead of the cameras just being focused on only the parade the entire time without any interruption of the view. To wrap up, Broadway performances are just as major a part of the parade event as anything else, and you shouldn’t speak negatively about them because you likely have absolutely NO idea what goes into making those performances happen and how many people work so hard to make it all come together so perfectly. Therefore, since for some reason it appears that you obviously lack the necessary level of intellect required for you to figure any of this out for yourself, I will give you this final piece of advice that you are hopefully able to somehow comprehend: There’s this awesome new process called turning the tv off when you don’t like what’s on, even if your reasoning is ridiculous, and what do you know? If you turn the tv back on after the first hour of the program is complete, you will be able to start your viewing experience from the very moment that the parade begins arriving in front of Macy’s and you can get back to worrying about some other trivial thing during your holiday instead of stressing so much about there not being a parade on your screen the very second that you first turn your tv to the broadcast of a holiday parade. I think I’ve ranted MORE than enough at this point, so hopefully you take something away from this and try not to be such a negative Nancy during the holidays for no good reason, or even more appropriate, a Scrooge or a Grinch. Hope you have yourself a Happy Holiday! :)

4. ninergrl6 says:

The Broadway performances are always my favorite part of the parade. Finding Neverland and Something Rotten were my favorite shows from my last NYC trip, so I was thrilled to see both of them featured. “A Musical” SLAYS, even in it’s shortened-for-TV form.

5. Paloma says:

Hilarious! Thanks.

6. I thought the giggle was cute.

The Blindspot interview, however, was …. poor Jamie Alexander. I hope she at least got a good seat for the parade.