Thankful TV TVLine Staff

What TVLine Is Thankful For: Vampire Rebirth, Juicier Scandal, More Gilmore, Peggy Olson, Sleepy Joe and More

Team TVLine’s collective stomach may be overly stuffed with food this Thanksgiving, but our hearts will be pleasantly full of gratitude for the treats this year in TV has bestowed upon us.

During the fall, long-running dramas Scandal and The Vampire Diaries rediscovered their creative grooves, while summer brought us a hotter-than-ever bounty of addictive shows, from promising newcomers like UnREAL and Fear the Walking Dead to mainstays such as Suits and Penny Dreadful.

We’re also thankful HBO is providing closure on the low-rated Looking and that Netflix missed Gilmore Girls as much as we did. (Is this real life?)

What follows is the fare that TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak, Kimberly Roots and Andy Swift, West Coast Editor Vlada Gelman and West Coast Reporter Rebecca Iannucci have singled out as deserving of special kudos. (Coming Thursday: What TVLine readers are thankful for this year.)

Flip through the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments to tell us what you think of our Thanksgiving spread!

1. Liz says:

Michael Ausiello: I’m shocked!!! It’s not YOU who spoke about the return of Gilmore Girls!! YOU should be thankful for that!
    I’m shocked and disappointed in you, young man…

• Liz says:

Oh! AND I’m thankful for:
        – OUTLANDER! Sam & Caitriona are amazing!! Tobias as well…
        – For UnReal, because I love to have her back on tv.
        – I’m thankful we’ll have a third season of Peaky Blinders, a second season of Poldark, a new season of GoT.
        – Thanks for The Affair. Ruth Wilson, Dominic West, Maura Tierney, Joshua Jackson…

2. B says:

Giving a “h*ll yeah” to the final scene of Justified. It was just perfect.

• NDFan says:

Yes! Absolutely perfect. After the way Sons of Anarchy ended, I was afraid I would be disappointed in Justified too. Thankfully that wasn’t the case!

3. spindae2 says:

Scandal peaked in it’s first 3 eps and fell on sub S04 level so fast! The finale last week was terribly slow and poor.
    Meanwhile I agree VD is keeping a great level. I hope that terrible Friday move won’t damage the numbers too much.

Meanwhile I’m grateful CW gave The100 another great time slot and lead in. The show is more than amazing, those low numbers are so undeserved.

4. fiberlicious says:

SO glad to see M Secretary on this list – it’s a lovely show, from the writing, to the casting, to the deep green-blue of…pretty much everything. Also agree about Ricci – I can’t even stand to look at her bug-eyed sister, but C was a nice surprise. Still pissed off that they killed off Leo, though.

5. Sam says:

Neither Looking or Getting On received a “truncated final season.” Getting On’s is the same size as its other two, and Looking is getting a wrap-up TV movie. I guess Ausiello is too busy watching Castle to watch HBO.

6. MFL says:

I’m thankful first and foremost for Shonda R…HTGAWM is just so good, it’s insane. One of the best network TV shows no doubt.
    Also after giving up on Scandal, I’m thankful Scandal finally pulled the rug from under the toxic Olitz..
    I’m thankful for The BlackList’s Reddington and Tom Keen; Blackish’s Ruby, Charlie & Andre for the laughs.
    Super thankful for these shows, GoT, UnReal, Jessica Jones, Blackish, The Middle, Brooklyn 99, Life in Pieces

7. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m always thankful for CBS’ late night shake-up with Stephen Colbert and James Corden.

• Angela says:

I’ll second this one. Haven’t seen near as much of Corden, but what I have seen has been highly entertaining and it’s clear he’s having a total blast with his show, which is always fun to see. And Stephen…well, I’ll always be a fan of his, and I’m loving seeing him settle into his new late night gig, and balance the funny and the serious and heartfelt so well. Plus, there’s singing!
      I’ll definitely second the mentions of John Oliver and Joe on “Sleepy Hollow”. Joe’s father’s important connection to Jenny and Abbie certainly doesn’t hurt in terms of allowing him to ease into being part of the gang, but yeah, even with that aside, he’s just developed a really nice chemistry with the rest of the cast. I love his burgeoning thing with Jenny, and yes to Ichabod having a guy friend. He needs one! It’s also great to see Abbie in protective mode towards him, too.
      And John Oliver’s ability to discuss lesser-talked about topics is definitely one of the best things about the show. The segment regarding suspects being read their rights was a real eye-opener, and I love that issues like that are getting some attention somewhere. And it’s great to hear about what else is going on in the world from time to time aside from the big stories (ISIS and the like), too. Having John around definitely makes up for the loss of Jon Stewart and “The Colbert Report” in so many ways.

8. Rachel says:

Nice choices, TVLine. I’m personally thankful for the amazing talent that is Lana Parrilla, who reminds me week after week why I love Once Upon a Time, as well as the mind-blowingly amazing third season of Agents of SHIELD. It’s been a good fall!

9. Daisy says:

Fully agree on The Blacklist, season 2 was boring, now I’m looking forward again to each new episode.

10. Eran says:

I give thanks for the deliciously funny and clever ‘Galavant.’ I could have hugged ABC’s powers-that-be for giving it a season 2. I loved ‘The Neighbors’ and having Galavant around, keeps the hilarious spirit of that show alive.
    I am also super thankful for ‘American Crime’. It has been a VERY long time since I was last this awestruck by a series on all fronts, from story to casting, to script and yes, even sound!
    And of course, for Tim Gunn because he’s…well, Tim Gunn.

Happy Thanksgiving all! :)

11. Jason says:

I am surprised that Netflix’s Marvel series weren’t mentioned. The success of making Daredevil and Jessica Jones! Such a treat!

12. c-mo says:

Rebecca and Vlada, I agree with your thankfulness for the return of Gilmore Girls and Castastrophe! Just like a good piece of pumpkin pie, you always have room for seconds/thirds/fourths of the Gilmore Girls. Castastrophe is one of the only reasons I’m renewing my Amazon Prime membership, it is amazingly refreshing and a fun twist on the rom-com with that fabulous Brit whit! Can’t get enough of either!

13. Joey Padron says:

Great list from the staff. I’m thankful for in TV this year is new shows Fear The Walking Dead, Killjoys, Unreal, 12 Monkeys, Mr.Robot, Zoo, and Humans. my favorite shows Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Agents of Shield, The Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Mindy Project, The Last Man On Earth, Undateable, and The Night Shift. It’s been a great year for TV.

14. dan says:

Let’s see..praising South Park’s witty season 19 attack on internet ads, finish Slideshow, scroll past You May Like to get to the comment section… :D

I’m thankful for Elmore Leonard’s vision and the Perfect portrayals of his creations. I’d dig coal with you any day, Dutch.

15. Magali says:

I’m thankful for new shows I love : Mr Robot (and the discovery of Rami Malik who is a mesmerizing actor), Blindspot, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Catastrophe, Killjoys, Zoo and UnReal. I’m thankful that The 100 is coming back. I’m thankful the idea of doing Undatable live every week actually works (I had my doubts!). And I’m thankful for Last week tonight with John Oliver because for me it is simply the best show on american TV!

16. Jane says:

I’m thankful for Fargo, the Leftovers, Mr. Robot, Daredevil, Poldark, GoT, the Walking Dead, that Justified got a decent finale and for season 11 of Supernatural.

17. VJ says:

I´m thankful for a year that made me fall back in love with television series. I was so frustrated with a lot of series last season, but they got me back.
    I´m thankful for the new SyFy shows that made the summer so much sweeter and I´m thankful for TNT´s The Librarians, because it is a genre show you can actually enjoy and have fun with without fearing for main characters live or having to deal with a whole lot of angst (hey, I´m all for that but not all the time). I´m thankful for The CW and it´s great series and their willingness to give them a chance. And in general: what a great year for genre series! Last but not least, as a Marvel fangirl, I´m thankful for Marvels television series, because they are just great. Oh, and I´m thankful for TVline, because… what would we do without your scoop, spoilers and recaps? ;)

18. So thankful for Rayna and Deacon!! Thanks Kim :) I hope they keep up the cute and sexy Deyna (instead of the Im-too-busy-to-have-a-scene-with-you Deyna ;). And we better get that wedding

19. Carol says:

I’m thankful for ‘Playing House’ and the scene when our two ladies were hiding in Tina’s closet overhearing her call them tired and fat. The silent anger display was comedy gold which still lingers.
    I’m also thankful for ‘Scorpion’ – this show amply fills my ‘Alias’ void. Action, humor, drama and most importantly heart. All the actors are top notch but Elyes Gabel is truly a marvel.

20. Luli says:

I’m thankful that the Castle writers are done with the break up storyline.

21. jakis says:

I’m thankful for Fargo, The Leftovers and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and the fact that scripted shows shows are so good right ow. Die, reality shows, die! Beyond sick of them. When there are shows as good as the ones I mentioned (RIP Mad Men and Breaking Bad) it’s not easy to understand why so many lowest-common-denominator shows are still hanging around. Cheap to produce, I guess.

22. Simon Jester says:

You go, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! The best show you aren’t watching…

23. kmw says:

I am thankful Bones ( Booth and Brennan in particular) are back on track.

24. Nero tTVFiddler says:

A shout out to Kimberly R on her note of Mad Men and Peggy. Well done!! I’m also very thankful for the way Mad Men ended it’s series run.

So many series tend to end their runs in an awkward, unsatisfying fashion, but I think all can agree that Mad Men ended in a good way, and Peggy would be that woman to really shake up the office status quo of the early 1970’s and break those glass ceilings.

I especially liked the ending for Don – life is not always measured by how much we accomplish, but by how much we were loved, even if [like Don] we may not have been able to recognize it when it was being offered to us.

But there’s always another day, another chance at life. A new day, a new you. A chance for yet another reinvention of Don Draper.

Coke, it’s the ‘real’ thing…. and it’s ‘toasted.’

25. N says:

What? ?? No kimmy Schmidt or Jessica Jones

26. Lisa says:

I’m thankful for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3, in particular Leo Fitz and Iain de Caestecker’s performance.

27. penster47 says:

Funny, of all these programs mentioned, I have only actually watched two. Love Blacklist, and loved Under the Dome the first year and maybe the first part of second year, but then it just got to be some kind of a science fiction cartoon.