Mindy Project Danny Return Season 4

Mindy Project Recap: Danny's Home — and Why That's Maybe a Bad Thing

Absence makes the heart grow fonder — and it definitely makes the heart forget about how the heart’s fiancé wants the heart to give up her professional goals and dreams.

That’s the situation on this week’s Mindy Project, in which Danny is back after a long visit with his ailing dad (yay!) and wants to set a date for the wedding (yay again!) but completely reverts to AggroDan upon hearing that Mindy has started a side business while he was gone — after all, won’t Leo just shrivel and grow up to be a serial killer if she’s not a stay-at-home mom? (So. much. boo.)

Thankfully, Annette (and Dot, of course) save us from a wedding-related panic attack by being completely ridiculous about meeting Mindy’s visiting family. Read on for a recap of “The Lahiris and the Castellanos.”

FULL STEAM AHEAD! | Danny wakes Mindy with a surprise on his first morning back at their place: a date in a box, indicating that he wants to move forward with their wedding plans, starting by picking a day. Mindy’s elated. “Now go get your checkbook, because this bitch gon’ be expensive,” she informs him.

Plans start to fall into place: Rishi will be the DJ, Ritchie will be a bridesmaid, and Annette and Dot have come up with invitations (complete with an illustration of Jesus’ crucifixion) and a theme: “very religious,” Danny’s mom gleefully announces. Mindy chafes at Annette’s suggestions until Ma confesses that Christina and her mother boxed her out of Danny’s first wedding; she’s hoping for a different experience with the second. So Mindy plays nice and lets Annette think she’s on board with the very conservative dress (think 1970s nun) she picks. (Meanwhile, Mindy is secretly planning to wear a sexy — and aspirational — two-piece she has Tamra model at Shulman & Associates.)

NOW, BABY | Jody is proud that he’s booked his alma mater for a Later, Baby seminar that weekend, but Mindy says she can’t go: She hasn’t told Danny about the fertility company she started — and of which Jody is now a partner — while he was away. And because he already wants her to quit the two jobs of which he’s aware… Plus: Her family has shown up from India, and they’re throwing her and Danny an engagement party that she can’t miss.

Despite Danny’s best efforts to keep his mom separate from Sonu Lahiri, Annette finds out about the party and shows up in a thrown-together sari. (Too bad no one else is wearing traditional dress.) At Mindy’s request, the Shulman gang is there to try to keep the moms apart, but of course they wind up trying to outdo each other throughout the evening. Everything comes to a head when Mindy’s mother announces that she and her husband want to pay for the entire wedding, which will take place in Boston.

SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY | But Mindy and Danny don’t hear that part, because they’re in the bedroom, arguing about whether or not she should be working at all, much less holding down three positions (at Shulman, her fertility clinic and Later, Baby, in case you’re wondering). Danny’s point is understandable — he wants Leo to have family around all the time, something he did not have as a child — but the jerky way he goes about making it is not. “I don’t like to be bullied like this!” Mindy finally says. “I don’t even recognize this relationship anymore,” Danny grumps back. Ouch.

MA MAKES A GOOD POINT | Danny’s mother, of all people, is the one who best understands Mindy’s plight — and supports her future daughter-in-law’s plan. Sure, Annette gives her a hard time, but she’s aware that “You’re working to make your dreams come true,” she says. It’s a very sweet scene, prompting Mindy to say, “Sonu might be my mom, but you’re my Ma.” Aw, guys!

Meanwhile, Tarun and Danny have a heart-to-heart about how it’s hard to give up one’s passion. So Danny surprises Mindy at her very successful talk at Jody’s college, and he’s pleasantly surprised by how good she is at selling her egg-freezing program to undergrads. It seems like everything’s going to be fine again… until he calls the business her “hobby.” “You can stay home with Leo and do this on the weekends!” Danny says, as though he’s come up with the solution Min’s been looking for all along.

While Danny sleeps on the flight home, Jody says he knows that Mindy isn’t making her true desires known. “Is that what you want?” the southern doc asks pointedly, and for once, Mindy doesn’t really have an answer. And we end with a conflicted Dr. Lahiri looking out the window. I thought planes were supposed to be Mindy and Danny’s happy places, guys!

1. Rafael says:

Glad Danny is back!

Annette and Dot should continue appearing in this show in order to get along with Beverly in good and and times.

There might be a chance that Betsy may not yet be officially gone yet, due to the fact that her romantic comedy talent is too strong to ignore. She might return to this show’s proposed fifth season as reduced guest.

2. Matt C. says:

I’m starting to get tired of Mindy constantly caving in to Danny’s overbearing decisions. That’s just so out of character for her! I understand that he’s trying to prevent Leo from having a crappy childhood like Danny did, but he doesn’t have to be such a jerk about it, especially when Mindy is clearly passionate about this new job (yes, job, NOT hobby).

3. Marcie says:

Sometimes I wonder what Mindy sees in Danny.

4. Lors says:

I agree with Matt C.! I am not loving TMP lately because Danny has become way too agressive in his “tradional man” POV and I don’t feel like Mindy would stand for any of that nonsense. Danny has become incapable of having a rational conversation. I miss (old) Casey.

5. Tina says:

I think people forget that Danny has made a lot of consessions for Mindy. For example, He didn’t want to move to San Fran but was willing to go for her and her ambitions. He didn’t want to get married, but he is going to for her. I think Danny is getting the major blame, but Mindy is just as guilty. She is not communicating with him and in his defense as far as he knew they had made decisions before he left and all of this news is out of left field. I think anyone would get angry if they found out their spouse had decided to make major decisions and not said a word. I think they both equally have the right to be irritated. I do however get the feeling that a break up is coming. I think Mindy is going to change her mind and leave him. Kaling loves her cliff hangers. I think that it will eventually resolve itself but it is a good story line to prove that once you get your happy ever after you have to communicate to keep it.

• Marcie says:

Honestly, I still haven’t forgiven Danny for trying to take away her fellowship. He got credit for being a great guy and saving the day for her to get it, but she doesn’t know he was the one to ruin it in the first place. In addition, every time she tries to tell him what she wants, he interrupts her and turns her in a different direction. I feel like what she sees in him is that he loves her – period. She’s the girl who couldn’t keep a guy and will do almost anything now to keep him. I just question whether he’s worth keeping. He doesn’t seem like the same sweet guy of season 2. Instead, he’s the jerk from season 1.

• dale says:

I find it very interesting that he is so set on her staying home with Leo, yet the idea of him staying home doesnt appear to have come up, if it did, it wasnt taken seriously by him, when he tried to talk her into being a SAHM. I get that they needed to work around the actors movie schedule, but the honestly for a man who wants Mindy to stay at home, he clearly had no problem hopping on plane to take care of his dad (that at best he tolerates)

The writers are not making the character likable at all, and while Danny has always been an ass, and he has at times managed to be a great guy, they are just turning him into a controlling, and emotionally manipulative guy

• Tabitha says:

Maybe they are setting it up for us to hate him because Messina wants to leave? What better way then make everyone hate his character and just make Mindy a single mom trying to work, raise a kid and date?

• Jess says:

I want to see that show! Mindy would be an awesome single mom. Danny is an asshole. His thinking its mandatory for Mindy to stay at home, but ridiculous for him is dumb.

6. Mary says:

Words can’t express how much I despise Ma, I think she damages the show. She has made me like Danny a lot less and I think she is a huge reason for Mindy’s lack of confidence. I don’t buy her and Mindy’s relationship at all and would have rather that scene be with Mindy and her mom.

I love the Lahiri family, so funny and loving and smart. They felt like family not manipulative obligation. In just the two short scenes I want a Rishi and Tamara pairing so bad I can’t even believe it.

Danny is a jerk, but I like that Mindy Kahling is dealing with this stuff. I think the lack of confidence and nerves happen when you’re a new mom and trying to make a relationship work. This isn’t pretty and it isn’t romantic but it’s real and interesting and as long as she gets her voice back in the end I’m fine with it. I like the slow build.

Also I highly doubt Chris Messina is leaving he has a family to support and let’s be real before this no real career, and frankly not much of one outside of this. It’s not like he is the guy who plays Morgan that people are knocking down the down to work with. Sorry he needs the job I mean without it who is he? I could be wrong and I will be honest I didn’t miss him that much although I love Mindy and Danny but the show is about Mindy.

• Tina says:

Messina has had a steady career for years. Just because he isn’t over hyped like Brad Pitt or other high profile celebrities doesn’t mean he is lacking. He is constantly working and he is good. Very good. He’s also getting significant amounts of work in Oscar films and works frequently with Ben affleck. I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s a nobody just because you don’t know of him. I’ve been following his career since he was on the last season of six feet under.

7. Cass says:

Does anyone know when the show returns in the spring?

8. Kate says:

I have always seen Danny as an average character. I did want him and Mindy to be together but realistically not be together forever. They are too different and he is too old fashioned. She was becoming a boring character because of her tie to him so I like that this relationship isn’t working out.

Side note this season is way better than the last one because it is more realistic and the humor is landing better. Also I love the Lahiri family!

9. Ashleigh says:

Loved the episode. I wonder if they’re just setting up a conflict to drag out for the rest of the half-season, with Danny eventually realizing he’s wrong (as he has about pretty much everything in the show, not wanting to date Mindy, not wanting to get engaged, etc.) or if they’re going to break them up temporarily only to get them back together in the end, along the lines of Rachel and Ross. In either case, I love that they’re discussing this issue because it is one every working mom at least thinks about, and that’s what makes the show so relevant.

10. Chaosrainz says:

I hate that they’re breaking Mindy and Danny up now that they’re a family! Wth?! They were cute together last Eason and then when she got knocked up, it totally ruined the show instead of making it better, which is what should have happened. The comedy has been great this season but the storyline overall has gone downhill lately.

11. shaunagh says:

its all a bit off script to what we ve become accustomed to and feels rushed.. is Dannt leaving TMP and this is the way they break it to us in a ‘hate Danny before he leaves way’