Felicia Day Cast as New MST3K Villain

Felicia Day knows a thing or two about mad scientists — and now she’ll get to play one.

The Dr. Horrible alum has joined the upcoming revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000 as Kinga, daughter of Dr. Clayton Forrester. (As you’ll remember, it was Forrester who sent Janitor Joel Robinson to Space in the original 1988-’99 program.)

Joining the Whedonverse alum are comedians Hampton Yount and Baron Vaughn (Grace and Frankie) as the new voices behind Crow and Servo; Nerdist comedian Jonah Ray is also being eyed as new host.

Since its Nov. 10 launch, MST3K creator Joel Hodgson’s Kickstarter to revive the series has reached its goal of $2 million to produce three full-length episodes. The campaign, which still has 17 days to go, is looking to raise as much as $5.5 million to complete a full 12-episode season.

Are you geeking out over Day’s latest role? Sound off below.

1. Jan Drabik says:

Good luck! Hope you make it. Love seeing Felicia back

• TV''s Fronkinstein says:

I agree. I think it will be fun to see a revamped MST3K back on the air. Remember the cast may evolve, but, like a warm blanket on a cold night, the shows concept always remains the same. Rock on Joel !

2. Lavendare says:

I loved MST3K and still enjoy it today.

However, I don’t have a good feeling about the reboot. Without the rest of the writing team involved, the new MST3K could wind up turning out as badly as the Jim Mallon/Paul Chaplin animated MST3K shorts did.

I think there should have been new bots, as well. Crow and Servo moved on (and in) with Mike in the series finale.

I may check out an episode or two, but I think I’m going to stick with Rifftrax.

• Chris says:

I feel the same way. I didn’t get on board with the show until the “Mike Years”, I tried going back and I know he created the show but I couldn’t get into the Joel ones.

• Lavendare says:

I discovered MST3K in 1993, which was around late season four/early season five. So, I got to appreciate both Joel and Mike.

Have you watched some of the touchstone Joel “MST3K” episodes, such as “Warrior of the Lost World,” “Manos,” “Godzilla Vs. Megalon,” and “The Giant Gila Monster”? Those and the film shorts may make the Joel years more accessible.

• Dude, watch the Mitchell episode. It’s a classic and showcases the amazingness of Joel. Plus, who doesn’t like making fun of Joe Don Baker?

• David4 says:

I agree. The robots have different voice actors, so why not have all new robots? The old ones can do guest spots.

Oh well, it’s only three episodes and I’m not giving them movie so I don’t care, nothing lost, nothing gained.

• Whateverman says:

The old team is still going to be involved, Lavendare. Or rather, all of them are welcome to be involved; Joel will be there at a minimum, and it sounds like some of them are still interested. We don’t have all the details yet, as the Kickstarter is still running.

• Lavendare says:

Check Mike’s Facebook page and the Twitters of Bill, Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, Bridget, and Josh.

Joel stated they were welcome to be involved, but he later posted that he understood many of them still have issues with Jim Mallon/Best Brains over financial issues. Joel stated he wished it would have had a better outcome.

3. BillyBobJohnson says:

I’ll pass. If you can’t give me something from the original show, why bother?

4. Steven says:

I donated and love the cast so far, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

5. Joel says:

If we’re trying to get MST3K picked up, why alienate the fans who wanted it brought back with new cast? Give me Joel, The Bots and The real Mads for what’s been funded. If all goes well and we get more for the foreseeable future, then work in these people who had nothing to do with the original run. I’m all for Felicia Day being a Mad, but maybe later this season or next.

6. v299 says:

I’m really excited about the new cast. As much as I love the old cast, I like Joel’s vision of the show being like Snl or Who that replaces cast and adapts over time. I like Baron and Felicia from their previous work. I don’t know the others, but so far it’s exciting.

7. Taylor Weaver says:

The bots changed voice actors in the original run, so its really not a big deal. Seriously, if you want to get more info on why Joel is doing things the way he is doing them, go check out the kickstarter. He answers pretty much everything in the updates and videos.

Plus, especially with the most recent video in update 8 you get a feel for how the bots are being played, and Jonah’s character. I really like, Crow, especially, and I think the guy doing Tom Servo will get better as it evolves. I didn’t like Felicia Day’s Mad until I watched it again and compared her to Perl. A lot of people don’t like Perl, whatever. But, I think she picks up on the vibe of the Mads pretty darn well.

8. Carrie Krein says:

I’ve loved MST3K since the first time I saw it. The fact that Joel is running the show, and is hiring cast members who are also huge fans, speaks volumes to me that this iteration is going to stay true to what made me fall in love with the show in the first place. I also love RiffTrax, but I don’t see a world where they can’t both exist. And there’s no reason why the original cast can’t come in and do cameos – they have all been invited to do so and be involved however they wish.

Keeping Crow and Servo gives old fans that familiarity, but Joel has said that he always wanted the show to keep evolving with a new cast (in the manner of Doctor Who). The problem was the show was cancelled before that could really come in to play. I have confidence that, with Joel steering the ship, this will be amazing.

• Lavendare says:

Mike, Trace, Bill, Mary Jo, Bridget, and Josh have all publicly commented that they will not be involved in the reboot. Joel and Jim are not on good terms with each other.

Frank has taken a wait-and-see approach, and Kevin has yet to comment.

I have only a novice’s knowledge of “Doctor Who,” but I’ll keep that analogy in mind with the MST3K reboot.

• Joel stated that he didn’t extend any offers to anyone when it the kickstarter began. He said he was waiting until they had made the 2 mil goal so that he could give concrete offers to people. So, who knows what is going on behind the scenes. Most of the statements, besides Trace, happened right when the campaign began.

9. John says:

Loved the show when it aired originally. It was the only show that got all the members of my family on the couch together. I’ve donated to the kickstarter campaign and think Joel is doing a great job with the reboot. If he had put 2 new bots in the mix, people would have complained about that. Go over to the KS page and check it our for yourself:

10. BethSophia says:

Much as I’d love to see Mike involved in this, I don’t want Rifftrax to have to share him. I personally got upset every time something changed (took me ages to get used to Pearl, and Frank leaving made me stop watching for a while) but I always got over it. I’m a little nervous about all new writers but I’m excited to give them the chance so I donated.

11. This is Joel’s baby. The show. He started it. If he feels Felicia Day is the way to go, then he’s right. I loved “The Guild”. Please, naysayers, give it a chance before you whine. You don’t know how something’s going to turn out until you actually SEE it.

12. Brad Jahn says:

I love the casting so far. I have been a fan from the Joel days on Comedy Central and can’t wait for the show to return wherever it lands.

13. Htom Sirveaux says:

I am ecstatic about this. This was Joel’s show and his vision. Don’t understand the animosity, but this show will show them. Already the kickstarter videos have the same brand of humor. I say we wait until the show comes out to pass judgement on whether someone ruins the show or not.

14. damaged729 says:

I’ve been keeping up with all of the updates about this show and I’m completely confident my pledge will be well spent and that I’ll get the experience with this version of the show that I had with the previous iterations. I’m incredibly excited and I hope enough contribute to get it to the final goal.

15. James Huffman says:

So excited to get new MST3K!!!! What a great time to live.