DWTS Len Goodman Returns

DWTS: Len Goodman to Return as Judge for Season 22

As Dancing With the Stars prepared to crown a new champion on Tuesday night, the competition also revealed the return of a familiar face.

In a holiday video message (that was part of a larger, Christmassy theme during finale night), Len Goodman — who served as head judge on the series for 20 straight seasons before sitting this cycle out — said, “See you in the spring,” confirming his return to the dais for Season 22 (premiering March 21).

As announced almost a year ago, Goodman’s “schedule as a judge on Strictly Come Dancing in the UK and the birth of his new grandson” precluded his involvement in this fall’s Season 21.

Do you welcome Goodman’s return? Was DWTS lesser for his absence?

1. Al says:

Yes !! He has been missed.

2. DS says:

Yes!, get Julianne out of there!!! You can see, very clearly, who she favors!

3. Angela says:

This news makes me happy. I missed his commentary this season.
    (Also, congrats to him on the grandson! Aw.)

4. jakis says:

I was going to say that I hoped that meant they’d get rid of Julianne Hough and then I might start watching again, but then I remembered that her brother and his best friend are still going to be there even if she isn’t and besides, you just know they’re going to keep her so she can hype Grease, so… I guess I can stay away from DWTS.

5. TT says:

Yes. Absolutely. Len is great.

6. Marc Bennison says:

I feel they were better as judges without his criticisms. Julienne did not show favoritism to her brother as another post declared. Bindi and Derek deserved to win!!!

• DS says:

Ever since Julianne started being a judge, she always scored her sibling higher, even when he didn’t deserve it and she scored the others lower when they should have gotten higher than her brother. Go back and watch prior seasons with her as a judge.

• Pezplz92 says:

While he sat and had Bindi and another dancer dance around him????? He gets injured every year and has to sit out some of the time every year.

7. Tina says:

Welcome back! I for one thought this season was not as good without Len.

8. Penney Wallace says:

I am thrilled Len is coming back! His professionalism and common sense remarks are dead on! I like all the judges and think they do a great job including Juliann. She did not play favorites! Derek’s choreograpy cannot be compared. Pair that with Bendi’s charm and ability and of course they should have won!

9. maguilar says:

I am so happy that Len will be back! DWTS was not the same without him.

10. Steve says:

I for one hoped to never see Len again. He is stuck in the 40’s and modern dancers deserve better. He is too intractable and just because he doesn’t care for a certain style doesn’t mean he should mark down the dancers . Stay in England Len and watch your grandson grow up.

• Michele says:

I agree with you Steve. The show was so much better without him. He was so negative and even critical of the pros. Constructive criticism is good, but he was often nasty.

11. AngelWasHere says:

I was just saying the other day that I miss Len saying “From Len, the 10!!!” Guess I’ll be hearing it again. Yay! The panel needs him! Hopefully they do get rid of Jullianne.

12. Cheryl says:

He adds so much to the show. Hopefully, his return will not increase the panel to 4. That is so cumbersome and Julianne Hough doesn’t add value. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who feels that way.

13. Cabdy says:

Oh thank God, a judge who appreciates the true art of dancing! I’m so over Carrie Ann’s snarky comments, Julianne’s grating squeaky voice, and Bruno’s needing to stand and filibuster!

14. np says:

Hallelujah! Wasn’t the same without him!

15. iakovos says:

LOVE LEN! this is good news. He reminds all of genuine traditional ballroom form and presentation. I am not sure the other three keep that in mind, attracted more to showmanship and emotion than technique. You need that mix!

16. Mark S says:

Seeing all these comments about the judging panel on DWTS makes me wonder how America and its celebrities would handle it if another Strictly judge made the transition across the pond. Craig Revel Horwood is the Simon Cowell of Strictly, brutally honest, a stickler for technique and gives only a handful of 10s a season. In fact, the dance has to be BRILLIANT before he breaks out a 10.

17. Ann says:

I would love to see all new judges! I think Julianne Hough is a beautiful dancer but, she is a terrible judge!

18. Elvira says:

I am soooo happy that Len is returning to my favorite show! I just hope Julianne Hough wont be a judge next season.. If Derek returns to dance next season he needs a partner with two left feet .Derek has won too many times, enough is enough!!! I am tired of Juliannes obvious favoritism for her brother!!!! I would love to see Tommy Lee, Vanilla Ice, Sebastian Bach, Axle Rose, Flava Flave, Lorenzo Llamas, Tara Reid, Lindsay Lohan, Carmen Electra, Jaklyn Mckinnis Wood, Nicholas Cage, Peter Reckell, Michael Muhney, Virginia Madsen, Valerie Bertinelli, Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson, Hunter Tylo, Hank Azaria, Jeff Garcia the former NFL quarterback, Derek Carr , Boxer Jose Ramirez compete. We need some exciting personalities to compete!!!

19. cheryl simone says:

Yes!!!! He is the show! Julian stinks!

20. carol geraltowsk says:

Yes, I am glad Len is returning, he catches things the other miss.

21. Len stinks. I don’t care for him

22. Clarence Foster says:

Len is the foundation of the program! He brings the entire program together.

23. LYN says:

I am absolutely disgusted that Len Goodman was brought back in. I hate his stupid facial expressions and negative comments that comes with him being back on DWTS. As far as I’m concerned Len needs to be let go back to the UK so he can be miserable there. Len ruins the show.
    I also am hoping they don’t replace him with Maximum. He would as bad as Len.

24. Daniel Fredericks Sr says:

I was watching DWTS last night as my spouse and I do every Monday night……but, I ve truly had it with Ole Len Boy…..when he made the comment about Nyles when the audience boo’d and Ole Len Boy said, what, do you want me to give him more….that did it for me, DWTS, I’ve watched since season 1, but as of last night I’m done with your show. When you get rid of Ole Len Boy, I’ll be back, but until then, as they used to say on Kotter, up your nose with a rubber hose!!!! Bye